3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for you string makers  (Read 691 times)

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Question for you string makers
« on: January 24, 2018, 12:10:00 PM »
Gents,

I’ve recently started making my own bow strings, and I really enjoying it.  One question however.  No matter what I do I can’t get the bundles to evenly twist together.  There is always a “separation” if you will.  My strings look more like a twisted rope than a bow string.  They’re louder than I would like and I suspect this has something to do with it.  I am using back twist techniques per many tutorials you will find, and making sure to get my bundles strait between loops.  Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for you string makers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 12:18:00 PM »
Count how many twist you put after your first loop then back twist each string that many times.
For instance after you make your loop you start your twisting count how many, I do 34. Then back twist each string before you start your next loop. They will untwist and be even when you do this.
T
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:24:00 PM »
Not sure if it'll help, but here's a video that I put together on string building.  

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »
You made need more back spin or less, just have to pay attention to bundles when you are done with both loops. Then as putting in the twist run your hand or a piece of leather the length of the string too heat it up and get the bundles to coalesce. Then stretch it between a couple of eye loops with a ratchet strap and wrap a strand of B50 or whatever you got around the string twice and pull pressure and work it up and down the string, heats it up good and removes excess wax. Other thing I do is just watch my bundles close when I'm twisting the second loop in to make sure my bundles are still the same length, if they get off a little, you can twist the long side tighter till they are even. Other thing I do is I bought a set of pretty strong hand clamps from home Depot to hold the twists in the first loop end versus the bulldog paper clips a lot of guys use. I can't recommend enough to buy the video from Chad at Champion Bowstrings, my first string was off in length but was usable for a different bow following the instructions on the video!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »
I’ve watched it many times Ryan!!  I appreciate the responses, guys. It looks like i’m jusy not using enough back twist.  Thanks again.  

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 12:44:00 PM »
So what's the drawback to having too many twists in the string?  Does it weaken it?  Cause faster wear/tear?
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 12:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jake Scott:
I’ve watched it many times Ryan!!  I appreciate the responses, guys. It looks like i’m jusy not using enough back twist.  Thanks again.  

Jake
Cool! Yeah, I'm usually around 30 back twist, but it could be more. Just depends on how many twists you're putting into the loop. After building the first loop, are you removing all the twists from the string before starting the second loop?

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 03:14:00 PM »
Ryan,
I’m trying to, but maybe i’m not getting them all out??

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »
Yosemite:  Not really a problem if the bundles are the same length.  Just doesn't look as nice and the string isn't as round if the two (or three) bundles don't smoothly mesh.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 04:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by YosemiteSam:
So what's the drawback to having too many twists in the string?  Does it weaken it?  Cause faster wear/tear?
It will cable, meaning it will look like a steel cable a where the bundles aren't married together smoothly versus looking like one round strand two colored string, can slow the string down because it's not aerodynamic and it will also be louder from what I understand.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 07:10:00 PM »
I have been making my own strings for 20+ years.After I twist up one loop end I straighten out the strands in the bundles and then I put 30-33 back twist in them before twisting up the other loop.Then wax the string and rub it in with a piece of leather the take a string strand and wrap it around the string and go up and down the string.It helps remove excess wax and you get a nice round string.Helps make the serving nice and round and more consistent nock fit on my strings.It just takes alittle practice to find out what works for you.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 10:28:00 PM »
30-35 back twists. Also if you make a 3 bundle string they often look cleaner and rounder than a 2 bundle. A string stretcher to a apply 200 lbs or so of tension for a few hours also helps.
Tedd

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 01:08:00 AM »
i used to have that problem too but now i put a small spring clamp on the string at the 8" mark before i start laying up the string, now my bundles come out even length and no more saggy strings.

Offline madmaxthc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 04:50:00 AM »
Wax the ends of the half strings before you start making the string, as someone else said. Also, something I find extremely useful, is to have the half strings of different colors, i.e. I have a brown bundle and a black one. And the end results looks cool  ;)
Life is short, play hard

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 08:48:00 AM »
Thanks for all the great feedback, guys!!  The knowledge here never fails to amaze.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »
I put a little alligator clip and on the end of the first bundle so it won’t unwind. Then I untangle all the strands with my fingers and remove any twist in them before starting the second. Twisty ties work fine too.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 08:16:00 PM »
After making the first loop, count the number of twists you have to take out to get the bundles straight.  Put that many back in, but in the opposite direction.  That should be close.  Measure everything and take notes.  If you get it right, a 2 bundle will be just as round as a 3 bundle...but if the back twist is off, the 3 bundle will be rounder.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 05:40:00 AM »
After twisting up my string I put the loop over a handle of the vise and stretch it a LOT . This helps with getting string round . I don't buy into the "too many twists" school that many do.
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 02:32:00 PM »
It's pretty simple.  When the bundles hang straight (no or little twist in them), they will twist together like one bundle.  When they have twist in them, they will twist up as individual bundles.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©