3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hand-held Mouth Call for Coyotes?  (Read 736 times)

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Hand-held Mouth Call for Coyotes?
« on: January 24, 2018, 01:45:00 PM »
Hello all,
Coyotes have increased dramatically around my farm lately and have been putting the hurt on my deer herd. Now they're coming into the yard at night trying to get my dog.

I realize Electronic calls have a lot of advantages, but I'm not interested. I want to use a hand-held mouth call.

If someone could recommend a hand-held Mouth Call that they like, it would save me a lot of time trying to find the best one.
Thanks for your help, Paul
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hand-held Mouth Call for Coyotes?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 02:36:00 PM »
There's lots of guys that sell mouth calls strictly for coyotes imitating many vocalizations. Personally if I was gonna use a mouth call, I'd use any type turkey call. Name a turkey hunter that has just a few years in and hasn't called a coyote?
Old gobbler forum has a bunch of guys selling em as well as pure predator sights.
Why don't ya just trap em if they're such a nuisance. And if they come after your dog just shoot em
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 02:48:00 PM »
The shrill single reed turkey call works better for fox and coyote than it does for turkeys when I blow on them.   The fly down call never calls in turkeys for me in the morning, but I have had the coyotes come in fast.   Went out coyote calling az few years ago with an expert.  He had an antique hand siren that he could stick on his pick-up.   Blue jays, crows, geese, foxes yipping, pheasants calling, turkeys gobbling, and coyotes everywhere, we didn't know where to begin.   It was too cold for bows, so we crabbed are bang sticks and headed to a spot out of the wind.   I had my rabbit call and my fawn bleat, but he wanted to try something first. .  He used a silent dog whistle.  I would have never thought that it would work, but I was glad that i took my 22 mag Ruger instead of my 308 auto.  That day would have gotten expensive with the big gun.   I think that i can hit a running coyote better with a bow than a scoped rifle.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »
Just to clarify, when I said Mouth call, I meant a hand-held call that you blow into versus using an electronic call. But thanks for the ideas guys!

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
I did shoot a coyote in the yard one night that was after my dog.  Unfortunately all I had was bird-shot.  I have since invested in #4 buckshot to protect Leroy.   :)

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 05:10:00 PM »
Any dying rabbit call should work.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 05:46:00 PM »
I've got a bag of different mouth calls, maybe twenty five different calls.
They'll all work some of the time but none of them will work all the time.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline ShrtRnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 06:30:00 PM »
I've had good luck with Kerry Carver Calls.

A couple of regular rabbit distress calls in Red Cedar and  Spalted Mapke  and a

A Big Dog Howler I had Kerry make in Stabilized Box Elder Burl that's absolutely stunning.

Robertson Stykbow Peregrine 60" #65@29"
Robertson Stykbow Prairie Falcon 62" #62@29"
Robertson Stybow Mystical 66" #60@28"
Stalker Coyote FXT  RC 62" #53@29"

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »
I'm really just looking for a dying rabbit call, but there's lots of different manufacturers.  Like anything else, some are better/easier to use than others.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 06:54:00 PM »
Look on Old Gobbler, many of the guys make predator calls as well as turkey calls. The mouth calls (diaphragm) you want are there. Maybe even a sound bite of some calls. Birdshot should do the trick if the load is stout enough of the coyote is close enough. Still think trapping em is the way to go
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Bear_hunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 07:04:00 PM »
Check out Verminator Predator Calls. I have killed a lot of coyotes with the Tweety and the Psycho Tweety

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 07:38:00 PM »
I have a mouth blown squirrel/rabbit distress call from Jeremy Holden.  It works REALLY well.  

We have a dog park nearby that my wife and I take my dog to.  I took it along to test it out before a hunt.  There were about 50-60 or so dogs of all sizes between the small/medium/large dog areas.  When I gave it a couple of squeals I looked up and I'd say less than 15 dogs from ALL pins had not stopped playing dead in their tracks to investigate.  When I took my dog, Lily into the big dog area, almost half of the dogs on that 3 acre plot came to investigate ME, totally ignoring my dog.  Typically a couple will come to greet Lily and maybe 1-2 will bring me and anyone else around a ball to throw but this time they wanted to know what I was and what I had.  In the woods, I've had similar results calling in coyotes with it.  

Also for what it's worth, the craftsmanship that Jeremy uses is great, his prices are very fair, and he is a first rate gentleman to work with.  I would recommend contacting him.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 08:52:00 PM »

Still cottontail and the black and small green howlers that i use for pup yelps.  Start my sequence with rabbit in distress and after about 10 minutes use pup yelps.  When they come to pup yelps they usually come hard and fast.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 08:53:00 PM »
Sceery makes a great call that is very easy to use.  When I lived in Cali I killed a lot of coyote with bth there Jack and cottontail.
T ZZZZ

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 08:55:00 PM »
Oops sorry wrong link--- go Clay!

Heres the correct one for calls

https://www.primos.com/products/predator-calls/

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 09:44:00 PM »
All my predator calls date back to the 60's and 70's so I don't know if they are still being made. I prefer a distressed rabbit call. I have seen a few coyotes while bowhunting with no luck, but it is a thrill. In all honesty, though, for controlling them around my house, I would not use the bow.
Sam

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 10:39:00 PM »
When deer hunting if I see a yote I use my fawn distress call or fawn bawl.It works very well!The last yote I killed came to it from about 80 yards.He came right in.

The mouth call I use has an adjustable reed for buck,doe and fawn calls.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 01:31:00 AM »
Circe is a good one

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 07:41:00 AM »
I like the Government Hunter Cottontail made by Haydel.  It has a squeaker built into it, so you gain get some different sounds without changing calls.  I’ve used it for over 20 years.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©