3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One-time hunt recommendations... appreciated!  (Read 1412 times)

Online Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
One-time hunt recommendations... appreciated!
« on: January 25, 2018, 06:34:00 PM »
Hey all -
  So, I'm mid-50's and I've always worked hard to provide for my family - put two kids through college, the third (and final) daughter starts college this fall. I'm probably 10 years or so from retirement with no regrets!
  I've only ever bow hunted Minnesota small game, deer, and bear for several seasons. I've always been extremely grateful for the time I've been able to spend afield and my modest successes. I've enjoyed (and imagined) different hunting adventures as told by other people...
  To the point - I know that I will never be able to afford hunting many different places and animals, and that's ok! But I would like recommendations from those who have on what I might consider down the line for a quality hunt experience. This does not mean I have to be guaranteed a trophy, just looking for a nice hunt with a reasonable chance of encountering the game I pursue.
  If I had my druthers, I'd probably say that moose or elk are top of my wish list, with caribou and other deer species (mule deer, sitka, etc) following.
  Looking for any recommendations from your experiences - something I can maybe start planning and saving towards... interested in any detail, including states/areas, outfitters, etc. Would like to keep it in the realm of possibility for my budget - maybe a drop camp or do it yourself hunt if reasonable to accomplish.
Appreciate any feedback!
Randy

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: One-time hunt recommendations... appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 07:06:00 PM »
Rando, I think a way to narrow it down might be to ask yourself where you would like to hunt. What part of the country you always dreamed of seeing and hunting in. Then the animal kind of fits into that scenario. Some guys dream of seeing Alaska. If that's you then the moose, caribou, Sitka come into view. Some guys yearn to see and hunt the Rocky mountains. The species that are there would come into play.

I have had the privilege to hunt both places. I dreamed as a kid of flying out into the bush of Alaska and it was a dream come true when I was actually in that float plane doing just that. Hunted moose, never got a shot but I will never, ever forget that hunt!

I have had more game encounters in the Rockies and its hard to beat an elk bugling in your face. Tie that in with the natural beauty of those majestic mountains and you really cant go wrong. If you will only get to go once ask yourself where you would most like to be.

If you choose elk send me a message and I will tell you what we did.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:47:00 PM »
I've hunted out west and in Alaska as well.  IMO, Alaska is just on another level.  I did the Moose John float trip for Moose twice-- once with Jay Massie, the second time with Ernie Holland.  Killed a nice bull the second time.  Don't know if that outfitted trip is still being offered, but contact Yote Robertson at Robertson Stykbow for information.  If anyone would know, he would. Good luck on your search.  And definitely "Do it."

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 10:42:00 PM »
Good luck on your search sounds like you are on the right track.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 11:25:00 PM »
If able to personally choose one special hunt, I would again pursue Red Stags in New Zealand.

You may wish to review the following thread:

"Friend is in New Zealand"
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online SteelyDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 12:48:00 AM »
I would think that a turkey/ hog hunt in Texas or a black bear hunt in Manitoba would be an affordable way to go with a good chance of success.Good luck.
SD

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 05:53:00 AM »
If caribou is a dream hunt-do it.   I have hunted them in Alaska many times and nothing rivals that place.  I just returned from there.  I took my son there on his graduation hunt and it was fantastic.  

A fun and less expensive option is to do a combo adventure in a lower 48 state for species you don't have like hogs/gator, mule deer/elk.  

To me, hunting distant places is as big a part of the experience as the game.  Bottom line is if you are dreaming of it- do it.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 06:01:00 AM »
If caribou is a dream hunt-do it.   I have hunted them in Alaska many times and nothing rivals that place.  I just returned from there.  I took my son there on his graduation hunt and it was fantastic.  

A fun and less expensive option is to do a combo adventure in a lower 48 state for species you don't have like hogs/gator, mule deer/elk.  

To me, hunting distant places is as big a part of the experience as the game.  Bottom line is if you are dreaming of it- do it.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 08:26:00 AM »
For a cheap diy trip, SE arizona in the santa rita mtns. Hands down the most awesome trips Ive ever done and Ive been to a good many places. Javelina, coues deer, mulies, and unbelievable quail hunting.

Canadian wilderness bear hunt after that. Gotta fish if you go to canada too. If you dont, youre missing half the point

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 09:13:00 AM »
Idaho is over 60% public land, thats nearly 27 million acre's.
 Up here where I am most if it is fairly accessable for a diy hunt.
 Non resident opportunities for Elk, MTN lion, wolf, black bear, whitetail, mule deer.
 Just saying.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »
I don't know how much you have or want to spend but I've fortunate to take a lot of hunts.If you want a great bear hunt look to Manitoba. Find a guide who has fishing available so you can fish mornings and bear hunt evenings. This hunt is as relaxing as it gets. They can be done for $3500. The Elk hunts, unless you do it yourself, is going to cost $5000. Caribou hunts have gone off the charts $6500-$8000  unless you DIY Alaska and that takes a lot of preparation. I haven't done the New Zealand stag but went to Africa once and it was the trip of a lifetime experience, you will get opportunities! Texas hog and Javi's are fun also, just pick one and go!

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 10:55:00 AM »
Its not cheap but I hunted lions once in the sawtooths (Idaho). It was unbelievably fantastic. We saw hundreds of muleys, elk, and whitetails every day. Listened to wolves howl at night and laid in hot springs and drank beer in the afternoons. Phenomenal mountains out there

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
Consider smaller hunts, you will be able to go to some fantastic places and have opportunity. Things like hogs, javies, mule deer, elk, antelope, sika deer to name a few.  
Also check out PBS, they offer trips to members that are reasonable for elk, hogs, sitka blacktail to name a few and those members have good opportunity as well.
Personally I would rather go on 10 hunts than spend 15000 on one.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 02:45:00 PM »
All - thanks for the wonderful responses - posts and PMs! I will be reaching out to several of you for additional recommendations & details.
I know it will be some years before I can make this trip a reality, but I look forward to determining and researching the adventure in the meantime.
Great site... great people!!
Randy

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 03:35:00 PM »
If you have a couple of partners to ride together and split costs, an elk hunt to Colorado or Idaho is very possible.  Over the counter tags and lots of public land.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 05:00:00 PM »
Well if you ever do come to Idaho, I'll offer up my camper for you to stay in here at my place, Bring a companion if you like. Free of charge.
 I can't guarantee anything but you can run the mtns and valleys to your hearts content. I'm more than willing to " guide you" but again no promises on filling your tag. I don't have horses or mules, I hunt on foot usually within 1-2 miles of camp/ car.
 This will be my third season here after moving from new York so still learning .
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 05:54:00 PM »
You should definitely become a PBS member if you want to go on hunts all over the country at very low costs. I tend to be more of a loner that hangs with a pretty small crowd so it's not been for me but Ive met several of them on different hunts and theyve all been great folks.

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 07:00:00 PM »
As stated earlier, javelina in Arizona is a great, inexpensive way to dip your toes in an out of state hunt. A lot of units are 100% draw odds and you have an excellent chance of filling that tag. Depending on the unit you choose you can likely buy an OTC archery deer tag and hunt rutting coues deer. They are MUCH tougher to hunt than stink pigs. If you have questions drop me a message.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 09:50:00 AM »
We have tons of public land out here in the Smokies of Western NC. Deer hunting is not great but we do have lots of black bears, turkeys, grouse, and squirrels. There are pockets of Russian Boar here too. I know generally where they are but they can be tough to find.  If you want a cheap adventure I can point you to some places here. I don't kill much here but I do explore a lot and see a lot of country.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
Having a bad case of "elk hunting sickness", I can suggest a diy elk hunt.  Typical NR licenses are $650 or so, and you can use the equipment you already have and drive to your location.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©