3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow finish really works well  (Read 597 times)

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow finish really works well
« on: January 28, 2018, 10:30:00 AM »
The fumes from the lacquer finishes I have used for years got to be too much to tolerate. So it all went in the trash. Bummer because that was a lot of money.
  I placed an order to Three Rivers for the True North water based clear, cap dips and cresting paints. For some reason I was just not expecting the same quality of finish.
  Everything worked very well. I'm really surprised by the results. I saw a lot of questions on here about the stuff.  It's a good product! Nothing needs thinned, use it right out of the can. It still needs tested for target burn and feather adhesion but it seems like it really tough.
Tedd
EDIT - I forgot to mention that you can dip the clear over the cresting and nothing bleeds, runs or cracks.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow finish really works well
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 10:56:00 AM »
They look great!
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »
Nice fine line cresting.  Not easy to get there on wood.  At least for me.

I use all water based too.  It's nice to be able to work indoors on a cold winter day without the fumes.  And, without the wife fuming.  :)
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 12:26:00 PM »
I've used water based poly for years for the same reason, no fumes. I use off the shelf water based poly and have had great results over the years.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »
I used hardware store poly in the past off an on. From what I remember... the True North seems like a faster drying, better product that needs no thinning. When it's done it is hard and clear. Mostly its the cresting colors that are really nice. Plus I figure it helps support hunting to buy it from an archery supplier.
Tedd

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 06:14:00 PM »
Let us know on the target burn. That is the one thing I hate about poly. Can't even shoot into my compressed straw bales with it.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 08:25:00 PM »
I use their cresting paints but did not know they had crown and shaft finish.

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »
I have personally never had any luck with water based poly's or other water based products.   still thinning spar urathane since its the only thing i have found that does not target burn.

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 08:40:00 PM »
Just shot them into a previously un shot rump of a 3d target in the garage. I was able to remove the arrows without laying the bow down and had zero target burn and no finish damage. The arrows are dry 48 hrs.
  That was a Delta brand target I think. I have compressed bails and a MaKenzie brand 3D deer outside I'll try them in the daylight.
Tedd

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 05:23:00 PM »
Shooting into compressed bales - In the center soft spot they pull right out with no target burn. In a tight un shot spot  it takes a the tug to start the removal and leave a little straw residue on the shaft.
 In the brand new Makenzie target it  takes a pretty hard pull and had some residue on the arrow.
 Removal was hier than the lacquer in all target types. The shafts wiped clean afterward.
Tedd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©