3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Judos  (Read 506 times)

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Judos
« on: January 28, 2018, 02:07:00 PM »
Was thinking of doing some stump shooting while scouting after season and was wondering if anyone has any tricks to get your judos to same weight as hunting points. I'm shooting 175 grain points and have my arrows tuned well to them. Don't really want to get more arrows just for this so I'm trying to figure out a good way to make the judos the same weight. Thanks
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Judos
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »
Your shooting exactly what I am.i,ve got 145 gr glue on judo’s for wood shafts .I glue in long aluminum broadhead adapters that weigh 30 grains.Its the only way I could get them to 175. hope this helps.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »
You didn’t specify what type of shaft your using.If your using woods hex heads come in 175 gr makes it real easy I find them just as good as judo’s and a lot cheaper
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 02:32:00 PM »
I'm shooting carbons. Don't know why I didn't think of the glue on and adapter. Thanks
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 04:11:00 PM »
I add bird shot and cook it a few seconds - weighed out on a grain scale first. All my heads - Broadheads, Target heads, Judos match perfectly in weight.
<><
<-----------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 04:35:00 PM »
I use broadhead adaptors alum. or steel for the weight I need. Gets them real close to what you want. Then to make them tough I JB weld them instead of hot melt.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
Many carbons have supplemental weights that can be mounted on the back of the inserts.  Or, inserts are available in different weights (brass, aluminum, steel, etc.).

I was going to suggest you use carbons for your Judos, even before you mentioned that you normally use them anyway.  Carbons are much tougher than wood or aluminum shafts, and will usually outlast them 3 or 4 to 1.  Judos rarely get lost, so in my opinion, the extra expense of carbon is worth it.

I normally carry two stumping arrows: one with a Judo and one with a rubber (plastic) blunt.  I use the Judo on soft targets and the rubber blunt on harder targets.  They both last longer that way.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »
I also like 175gr heads- field points and broadheads.

A 145 gr Ace Hex head and an Adder collar 25ish grains will get you close. Like the spring arms on the Judos, the collar helps to keep the arrows from burying as deeply.

with a small washer the combo will be in the low 180s.

This combo also costs less.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 07:50:00 PM »
I run the “convertabluntt”. I think 3rivers is selling them, they go behind your field point a lot like the Adder Collar above, but the are a little beefier 75gr each.   I use them to get my 125gr heads to 200gr.... but there are an abundance of 100gr heads that would push your 175gr combined weight

Shootz!

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 02:48:00 AM »
if you have the type of inserts that are threaded the whole way through, you can also use a section of threaded brass rod in the back of the insert to fine tune weight.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
Was looking through some stuff yesterday and found a couple glue on judos and a few broadhead adapters so I'll try that method and see how they fly. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 10:21:00 AM »
I do the long judo with glue in adapter also. Couple of 5 grain washers from three Rivers help too.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 11:20:00 AM »
I took 175 grn field points and ground off the point then added muzzy "grasshoppers"(20 grains) and with the help of my loading scale got 175 flat pointed stumping points & had fun doing it. the points I used old & banged up giving them a second life!   :archer2:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©