3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in the US  (Read 1184 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in the US
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 03:14:00 PM »
Not all states include a small game permit.  Varys from state to state.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 05:01:00 PM »
For clarification, I checked today with the Colorado Parks and Wildlife regarding the International course and they do accept it for archer specific licenses.  So, that would cover any archer specific big game license, eg., Elk, Deer, Antelope, Sheep, goat, moose, etc.

It would not allow the purchase of a small game or turkey tag, for example since they are not archery specific licenses.

So, as far as Colorado is concerned, taking the International course would qualify.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 05:11:00 PM »
Thank you for asking Monterey that's great, regards Wayne

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 05:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by wayne rollinson:
Hi guys, I have now got the bug to hunt in the US with a trad bow and would like to ask advice on how easy it is for someone like me to come over to get an over the counter tag to hunt.

Any help or suggestions would be great to here your thoughts and also a big hello from the UK, Regards Wayne.
Hello back at you Wayne.    :wavey:   I hope you get it done someday and then report your experiences back to us.

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 05:55:00 PM »
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/index.html  

The State of Minnesota has Whitetail deer (some really nice ones too) Black Bear, Elk, Moose, and Wild Turkey, as well as assorted small game and birds.  

Elk are extremely limited and are on a drawing basis.  Moose has recently been closed due to low numbers.  Black Bear for most of the NE portion of the state are by draw, but there is also an over-the-counter zone.  Bear would be over bait and you would probably have to have an outfitter to do that.  Wild Turkey is in the Spring and Fall.  The Spring has the first two time periods as draw and the rest of the Spring and the one-month fall season are over-the-counter.  All Whitetail deer tags are over-the-counter...and reasonably priced compared to a lot of states.

Minnesota has millions of acres of public land. The Superior National Forest is 3.9M acres all by itself!  On that web page under "PLACES" will be information regarding that.  

While deer numbers would be low, The Boundary Waters Canoe area has true wilderness within it.  This area has moose and black bear.  Many of the lakes are non-motorized only.  Fishing can be fantastic.  September in the Boundary Waters can be magical.  Wilderness skills would definitely be a huge plus if one plans a trip there.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails/bwca/index.html  

http://bwca.cc/activities/hunting/hunting.html  

Have fun planning your trip, wherever you end up and Good luck!
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 02:50:00 AM »
Thank you to everyone who replied including pm's I will definately let you all know how I get on as this is going to happen,regards Wayne

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 09:19:00 AM »
I agree that Georgia (along with other southern states) would be a good place to consider. Non resident licenses are not unduly difficult to obtain. Game is plentiful with deer and hogs being some of the most sought after.

Early season can be quite hot. Snakeboots and tick control are essential, but everywhere you go there will be local circumstances to consider.

There are numerous outfitters who can provide a very enjoyable hunting experience.
Sam

Offline Smilingg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 03:21:00 PM »
Wayne--I dunno, it strikes me that going after a big spring gobbler makes more sense for a person coming from overseas for his first US hunt. There is nothing more electrifying than having a gobbler strutting back and forth in front of you at 10 yards. There must be 50 outfitter/guides that could hook you up for a 3 day hunt, which should suffice. Having a gobbler down makes more sense to me for a guy from overseas than having a 600 lb elk down or even a 150 lb. deer. What are you planning to do with all that meat? You can cook up the gobbler's breasts the night you shoot him...

Such a hunt would probably me a heckuva lot cheaper too. Your guide would be calling him in to you, and you'd find that experience tickling, I bet...

The contacts you would make could probably give you a sense of the realities of going after bigger game a year or two you later for a more complicated hunt, involving camping, tree stands, stuff like that...

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 07:13:00 AM »
To clarify if it was a non archery license you needed an international -IHEA permit would be honored. Either one can be gotten in another country
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 12:26:00 PM »
Wayne... check out the thread I just brought to the top. A hunt on KennyM's leases would be just perfect for what you want to do.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 12:29:00 PM »
Here's a link...    KennyM\\'s hunt
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2018, 01:00:00 PM »
Charlie thanks, I have been chatting with Kenny, he's building me a bow I think by the end of the year I will have a write up to do, thanks again for everyone's help its been great, regards Wayne

Offline graybark uk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2018, 02:44:00 PM »
hi Wayne , I live in London & I get over to the states every couple of years & normally go to Texas to a bow hunting ranch ( hogs & exotics )
I don't have enough time (holiday ) to scout out public land with otc tags . it may not suit your ideas of a bow hunt but its always a good start & a brilliant time , if I can help pm me or give me a buzz on 07763203448 , john h
bowhunting isn`t a bloodsport. its in the blood

hoyt buffalo 55@28/ 56@28{border hex 6.5 limbs }
stalker coyote fxt 62" 52@28

Offline Toxon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 09:31:00 AM »
Following on from the IBEP question I emailed MD DNR and asked:

Can IBEP certification be used in place of IHEA certification to purchase an out-of-state MD hunting license specifically for bowhunting?

I received the following reply:

Greetings! Unfortunately, no, he must possess a general hunter education certificate to purchase the license here in MD. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2018, 10:16:00 AM »
thanks for all your help guys, regards wayne

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2018, 01:42:00 PM »
I think toxon is missing the point in his effort to prove something. Hunter Ed certificates are mostly done IBEP format. Anywhere a bowhunter ed certificate is needed the international course is honored. Some places even for only bowhunting they might want a firearm course. Places that give IHEA hunter Ed courses must also be honored. The I in both still stands for international. No matter where the course was given the certificate must be honored. We know not who you spoke to or his/her knowledge on these particulars. It's fact I assure you
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »
To be clearer the certificate says hunter Ed on the certificate but if it was done in the international format it must and will be honored no matter where it was given.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©