3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Northern mist or toelke super D  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
Northern mist or toelke super D
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:24:00 AM »
I've been looking into these two bows and bowyers and am looking for some help to decide between them. Any comment, good or bad is very welcome. I draw about 29.5" on longbow style grips (depends how straight it is). Also, if you think I'm missing other possible bowyers with similar bow designs, please recommend! I am open to anything at this point, just seeing what's out there.

Thanks!  Pat

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Northern mist or toelke super D
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 08:27:00 AM »
I can't wait to hear the feedback on this topic from our fellow tradgang members. I'm interested as well

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:01:00 AM »
I have no experience with Toelke, but I have two Northern Mist Shelton bows. They are smooth and light in the hand. I am a fan of Hill style bows and own seven. I like the NM bows as well as any I have owned or shot (and I have shot a lot of Hill style bows). In all honesty, I can't say NM is "better", but I can say that if you like Hill bows, you won't be disappointed in them.

I also have several DF/RF bows, but my preference is the Hill style, which means I prefer the NM over them, too.
Sam

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:33:00 AM »
Had a couple Hill style bows from a great bowyer but they didn't work for me. Tried a D bow from Dan and fell in love. Quick, quiet and a joy to shoot. Dan has a "try before you buy" option that would help you decide.  Mike

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:36:00 AM »
I have a super D and like it. I have a long night from 7 Lakes and like it better.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 10:06:00 AM »
A Northern Mist Superior is what I would compare to the Super D.  The D has some very mild r/d in it unstrung like the Superior.  You can't go wrong with either IMHO, though the D is notable for being super slender in both the handle and limbs, whereas the Superior would have a bit more mass/width to it.  I really think it would come down to aesthetics.  Both are a pleasure to shoot.  If you want a true ASL then consider one of Steve's Classics or Sheltons.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 10:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Alexander Traditional:
I have a super D and like it. I have a long night from 7 Lakes and like it better.
What makes you like it better?

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 10:29:00 AM »
It has a larger grip,and just feels much more stable for me upon release.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »
Pat, if you end up going for a Super D with that 29.5 draw you could go 66" or 68". I know you have done business with Dan so you know how great they are to work with. I love my 68s and there are some in stock I believe.

Another thing, I always have him make my grips long and slender. He has made them deeper on request.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 11:17:00 AM »
That is good to know Todd!

I don't usually have problems with grips in general, I tend to get used to them but haven't been able to get used to straight grips and Dan's seem to be between that and his whip's grip which would work well for me.

I'll have to ask him what kind of grip can be accommodated on the super D. I'm not sure what kind of grip it is... If anybody knows compared to,for example, his whip standard grip I'm all ears!  

Thanks for all your help so far!

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 11:45:00 AM »
Pat, I'll put up some pics here of my Super D grips in a few. I've tried a straight grip on another ASL type and didn't  like it either.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »
Todd, I'm sure you'll be doing many of us a great favor by doing so. Thanks!

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 03:43:00 PM »
Here are two different grips. I prefer the grip on the black one overall as it has a low palm to it. Maybe at some point I'll see if Dan can sand the heel down again on the one with Honduran Rosewood.
I have a "Large" size hand meaning I wear large size gloves most often, just to size the picture up for you.

64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 04:59:00 PM »
I love the look of the black one......micarta riser?
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 05:51:00 PM »
I think you could get about any grip on most any model that N.M makes within reason.He has so many choices in longbow models.Sounds like you are asking about Mild R&Ds.Maybe not though?

He has his newer models that include the Ramer reverse handle with string follow limbs.Its a stable,smooth shooting bow that is pleasure to shoot and not tempermental.He also has just introduced his American with a lot of reflex and or setback limbs.Folks seemed to like them at Kalamazoo.He sold a few.

The Superior,Barraga and Classic and Whisper have been around for long time.He certainly knows his way around longbows.

I had one Super D.It was an older one.Before he tweeked the design.Tzolk has the newer version and had the original as well I believe.I am sure its very nice!The grips does look great on his bows!I could wrap my hand around that.

Mine was smooth and very very quiet with a little thump or bump to the shot.I would like to try the new one ofcourse.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 06:06:00 PM »
I’m certain Toelke bows are excellent.

But I have been shooting Northern Mist longbows for awhile now....absolutely perfect bows.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 06:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe vt:
I love the look of the black one......micarta riser?
You know it! Micarta and Yew veneers. Have a 62" Whip with the same . I bet Micarta and Juniper would be an awesome combo.

Pat, on the black one I requested all bamboo in the core in addition to the usual walnut accent strips. Ordinarily he adds a core of heat treated maple on the belly side.

64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »
That Northern Mist Ramer that Steelhead mentioned looks like a nice stick too! I've seen some of Steve's bows with a locator grip so he's got you covered as well. Both Bowyer's are masters of their craft. Tough choice!
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 08:48:00 PM »
Can’t go wrong with either, both great bows and good bowyers to deal with. Both have great fit and finish and Performance is as good as it gets with both.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 09:06:00 AM »
This is going to be a fun decision to make. Thanks all and thank you Todd for the pics and explanation, it is very helpful.

Todd, one last question, What's the throat  circumference measurement on your bows; just to compare.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©