3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Proud new sponsor  (Read 972 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Proud new sponsor
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
All good to hear, thanks, Moengo.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
Thanks Bernie, and thanks Moengo for helping Bernie get one step closer to getting his wallet out!   :clapper:  

Bernie, if you have any questions you can call me till 9 pm EST 7 days. I'm not a salesman and it's a toll free number. I enjoy talking to people and have found that a lot of "Sharpening Challenged" people can become "Sharpening Pros" with a little coaching. Thanks again guys,

800 561-4339

-Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
Sorry Bernie, I forgot to answer your question.  :knothead:  

Yes, the broadhead sharpener works very well for single bevel broadheads, my personal favorites too. I like to do 95% of the work on the beveled side. Get it uniformly polished from end to end and then finish with a short series of forward strokes, flipping the clamp between passes. The result is a micro bevel being formed on the "unbeveled" side of the blade. By micro bevel, I mean you will see a very thin line (less than 1/64" wide) where the paint has been removed. If there is a "secret" to sharpening single bevel broadheads, I would say that this is it.

-Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
That is very interesting and may very well be the "Tip of The Year", Ron. Thanks, I just tucked that away (in Word Documents) for later reference.

Oh, another question. I know it isn't the easiest but can you sharpen a glued-on BH while on the arrow with this sharpener? (at least for touch up)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by ber643:
Oh, another question. I know it isn't the easiest but can you sharpen a glued-on BH while on the arrow with this sharpener? (at least for touch up)
Yes you can but again a slightly different technique is required- Because the weight of the arrow will defeat the self-aligning feature of the clamp, you'll have to put your fingertips on the clamp and apply a little presure as you sharpen to maintain continuous blade contact with the stone, and you'll need a lot of room because now you have 30 inches of arrow that is moving too.

An alternative technique would be to turn the sharpener upside down on a table or bench (or even a stump)and rest a steel or stone on the roller and move the steel or stone rather than the sharpener. This is also a great way to pre-sharpen broadheads that need a lot of metal removed for the initial "out of the pack" sharpening. You can actually clamp the sharpener down to the table (again upside down)and use the roller as a guide for a file. This way when you go to the stones, the angle will be exactly the same as the filed angle.

Hope this helps,

Ron

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
Sounds like it would, Ron, once applied. I need to get an e-mail off to you this week and talk about what, exactly) I need to order. I use different BHs but this year (so far, and I hope all season) I am using Cane arrows and wood bows only. The Cane arrows are tipped with single bevel Trade BHs, made and mounted by a friend who is great at both. I need to be able to touch them up. (Can you hear that wallet creaking? - and the flutter of tiny Moth wings?   :D   )

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©