3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good trail cam recommendations  (Read 861 times)

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
Good trail cam recommendations
« on: February 01, 2018, 01:28:00 PM »
Hey guys. Ive tried different brands, but haven't been really happy with any of them. Do y'all have a brand you recommend. I was considering Cuddeback, however they seem to have negative reviews as of late even though they have some cool features.

I know I don't like bushnell.. takes a photo literally every minute even if nothing is there.
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good trail cam recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
I got a Primos cam this year and ran it for 5 months. The battery life was at 80 percent when I took it down. The videos I got where amazing. If you want to see the video shoot me a pm with your email address. The cams are reasonable too right around 80 dollars. If you watch you can get them on sale for around 50.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 02:05:00 PM »
A buddy of mine runs a lot of cameras and he switched to covert 2 yrs ago and really likes them. I've only tried Moultrie and stealth cam and like my Moultrie best
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Tom1954

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 05:57:00 PM »
There are a couple sites that actually test and review trail cams in all price points, and they actually offer the kind of info and comments you'll need to make a decision.  Just search "trail cam reviews" and you'll see several options.  I bought a Browning based on these reviews and am very happy.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 06:56:00 PM »
Just picked up an apeman from Amazon.  Hoping to play around with it over the next month or so to see how it works.  But I'll be putting it out on public land so if it gets stolen, it won't be too big a loss.  If I'm lucky, it will be there when I get back.  If I'm really lucky, there will be a few pics of some gobblers strolling by.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 07:12:00 PM »
I've had good luck with my Stealth Cam.  I think the trigger speed at be a little slow if the animal is trucking along.  But I've had it for a few years now and it's performed with out issue.

I picked up 2 Muddy Pro Cam 10's on black Friday last year.  I have yet to try those.  I think the Pro Cam is made to take pictures with some sort of attractant out front to slow the game.  I don't think they have the fastest trigger speed.

None the less at $50 on sale, with batteries and an SD card, I couldn't pass it up.  I'm looking forward to setting these out and see what happens.

-Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 07:28:00 PM »
Got a stealth cam this fall happy so far

My buddy got Browning’s seem really nice.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 07:38:00 PM »
Moultrie makes a good camera at a fair price. Check them out on line.   :campfire:

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 08:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tom1954:
There are a couple sites that actually test and review trail cams in all price points, and they actually offer the kind of info and comments you'll need to make a decision.  Just search "trail cam reviews" and you'll see several options.  I bought a Browning based on these reviews and am very happy.
Yep...try trailcampro
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 09:27:00 PM »
I've had good luck with Wildgame Innovations cameras. However it doesn't look like they make the model that I have any more so I don't know how good the new ones are.

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 11:35:00 PM »
I have a Primos 55 Truth and a Moultrie A30i.  The Moultrie gives much better battery life and is easier (IMHO).  Doesn't display temperature but has better trigger range and is quicker to replace SD cards.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline batbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 12:00:00 AM »
I second the browning!
Stalker Coyote 56, 49@28
Acadian woods carbon recurve 58 46@28
Black widow pch 58, 40@28
Browning Nomad Stalker 45# 28
Morrison 58, 47@28
Black Widow PCH 58 in 40#@28

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 06:29:00 AM »
No more Moultries for me. I had 2. No more. I have a cabelas brand. I wouldn't get another. It works fine but the flash is really poor. It's like a flashlight beam.

I've switched to Brownings. I'm real happy with them.
Jim

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:00 AM »
Love my browning
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 02:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim Keller:
No more Moultries for me.

I've switched to Brownings. I'm real happy with them.
Guess who makes Browning! :-)
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 02:51:00 PM »
You need to delineate what it is about a trail camera that you think makes it great.

I get mine at Walmart for $25 and they do everything they need to.  

Some folks need them to provide 12 gig clarity and make movies and don't feel they can be happy unless they've spent $300+ for them.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 03:31:00 PM »
I've got a couple buddies who have spend a lot of cash on the top of the line (their opinion) cams. And at the end of the day they really don't do much better than my $70 Moultrie A20i and a $50 Wild Game Innovations that I have. However, I don't like how the WGI camera mounts to a tree, I had to make some modifications to mount it without buying WGI's too-expensive mount.
Mark 1:17

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 02:16:00 PM »
Yeah, check out Trailcampro.com they have lots of reviews, and they offer free shipping, 2 year warranty and they include a memory card, too.
I recently used them to decide on buying 2017 Browning Strike Force HD PRO.  So far they are great cameras and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 02:22:00 PM »
And camera brands and models can vary drastically from year to year and model to model. Just because "x" brand (or model) was good or bad last year doesn't mean it's the same this year.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »
Browning, moultrie may make Browning cams as stated above but ive never had a moultrie that compares to my Browning cameras. Just my experience.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©