3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Advise  (Read 517 times)

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Advise
« on: February 02, 2018, 12:01:00 AM »
I have shot 70-80# bows and wood arrows forever but recently hurt my shoulder at work so got some 55# limbs and decided to give carbons a try.

I will save you all the reading with everything I have tried with very much frustration to get perfect arrow flight. I am about to give up on carbons but figured I would ask here first.

My bow is a Stalker recurve 55# at 28" and I draw right around 29.5". My broadheads are 175 grains. I like the look and price of Goldtip Traditional arrows so any advise would be great!

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Advise
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 12:31:00 AM »
I don't know the shelf cut on those,but my longbows that are center cut like a 400 spine with about 250 grains up front. You might need a little more tip weight. I think my arrows are a little over 29 inches.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 12:45:00 AM »
I read your question a little wrong. I'm shooting 400 spine which are the 5575 shafts with 250 grains with good flight out of a 55 lbs bow.

If you wanted to go with the 175 grain you might want to try the 3555 shafts which are 500 spine.

I think those bows are cut past center.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 01:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Alexander Traditional:
I read your question a little wrong. I'm shooting 400 spine which are the 5575 shafts with 250 grains with good flight out of a 55 lbs bow.

If you wanted to go with the 175 grain you might want to try the 3555 shafts which are 500 spine.

I think those bows are cut past center.
My heads are 175 grains not including inserts and I need at least a 31" arrow with my draw. When I bare shaft the 400's they show way weak... Maybe its just me.?.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:13:00 AM »
I have a 29.5" draw as well , no way  I can get 400s to work for me out of my recurves. I had a 55 checkmate hunter and was shooting 340s with 175s and 300s with 250s with 100gr insert.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 08:55:00 AM »
I shoot 135gr tipped 500s out of my Super Kodiak and it is 43lbs at my draw of 27". For your needs I would go 340s minimum.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 09:19:00 AM »
I guess it is shelf cut. I could never make stiffer shafts work. I have a hard enough time with a 55 lbs getting enough up front.

Good luck,maybe you could get a one shaft test kit.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 10:05:00 AM »
Have you bare shafted one? What was the result?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 10:28:00 AM »
I tend to agree withTD hunter.   .400s (55/75) might work, but given your draw length and point weight, you might need to go to a .340 (75/95). A Stalker is a pretty quick bow, cut at least to center and maybe past, and I'm assuming you're shooting a low stretch string.  

I suggest you pick up a test kit to find the one that works best for you.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 11:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
I did. No matter what I tried could not get good flight. I guess what was throwing me is I figured if a carbon arrow is spined up to 75# it would be more then stiff enough for 55# or 58ish at my draw. I would put real light tips and it show weak, heavy tips and stiff and nothing in between would change. Opposite of what it should be. It was really driving me nuts because I thought the 400's were more then stiff enough.

Thanks for the advise guys. I will give a couple 340's a try.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 02:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jesse Minish:

Originally posted by reddogge:
I did. No matter what I tried could not get good flight. I guess what was throwing me is I figured if a carbon arrow is spined up to 75# it would be more then stiff enough for 55# or 58ish at my draw. I would put real light tips and it show weak, heavy tips and stiff and nothing in between would change. Opposite of what it should be. It was really driving me nuts because I thought the 400's were more then stiff enough.

Thanks for the advise guys. I will give a couple 340's a try. [/b]
Go through the roof on point weight. I got 340 to tune after 260 grain on point weight. The weak is probably a false weak due to the arrow hitting the riser.
I use Beman bowhunters
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 07:43:00 PM »
I shoot 340s from 50# limbs & FF string (drawn 28").  I leave them full length & put 275-300 gr up front.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 05:46:00 AM »
I was going through the web and looking at ufoc set ups when I saw a guy shooting with 600 grain broadheads and 100 grain inserts. The arrows were 340 spine bowhunters and the guy was shooting a hot compound. Given that our bows are less efficient and have a slower powerstroke I think we can put up more weight on the front (within reason). Guess I can throw all i thought I knew about carbon arrows out the window.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 05:49:00 AM »
Double post
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 06:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by acedoc:
I was going through the web and looking at ufoc set ups when I saw a guy shooting with 600 grain broadheads and 100 grain inserts. The arrows were 340 spine bowhunters and the guy was shooting a hot compound. Given that our bows are less efficient and have a slower powerstroke I think we can put up more weight on the front (within reason). Guess I can throw all i thought I knew about carbon arrows out the window.
Not necessarily. If the person you mention is shooting a lower weight, say 60lbs (but this can vary up or down), and the arrow sets on true center before using a mechanical release, then what you describe would not be abnormal at all.

Finger release and not past center bows just take more effort to tune. Two people shooting the same bow and arrow setup might get a huge flight difference based upon their smoothness of release, or lack of it.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 08:10:00 AM »
Jesse, you’re pulling around 59lbs at 29.5” with a fast bow riser cut past center. Thats a lot of energy with a long arrow/power stroke... Makes a BIG difference on dynamic spine. In my opinion, the 400 results are exactly what I’d expect. Significantly weak, and when you load up the front you’re getting a false stiff. I believe you are minimum .340 & that’s likely with standard aluminum inserts. I also have no doubt you could tune .300s if you’re flexible with insert weight (standard aluminum/50 grain brass/100 grain brass) & length... Of course the simplest thing would be to buy a .340 & .300 shaft and test. When I tune, I start long and am slow to cut very small increments. Also having a variety of field tip weights helps discern where you’re at easily before you cut/finalize. I have 100, 125, 145, 150, 175, 200, 225, 250 and even heavier field tips, plus 5 grain brass washers. You can leave the insert alone at first and get close with combined weight of field tip and insert, then later dial in what insert weight and length go with your preferred 175 grain head... once you’re close, it builds confidence when you screw in a lighter field tip & the arrow goes more stiff, and vice versa when you screw in a heavier tip it goes more weak....

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 09:16:00 AM »
I am using a 50 @ 28 limbs rated for 25 inch riser on a 17 inch riser. My draw is  31.5 inches and I went the exact route you have described - last week I worked up the guts to load the 340 spine and got great flight @ 260 grains with a 50 grain insert. My bow is cut past centre and I use an elevated rest.
Ymmv
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©