3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mild R&D longbows?  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Mild R&D longbows?
« on: February 10, 2018, 10:06:00 PM »
What are a few of the builders I could take a look at? Leaning pretty hard toward a Northem Mist Baraga, but would like to way all my options.
Thanks in advance

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mild R&D longbows?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:15:00 PM »
Wes Wallace Royal and Yellowstone Longbows by Rich Wormington are very nice mild R/D bows.  Ken

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 10:22:00 PM »
Older Robertsons. New ones too but they will cost you O.O

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 10:23:00 PM »
Northern Mist Baraga is one of my favorites. Probably the best mannered bows as well.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 10:34:00 PM »
They aren't made anymore, but if you could find an Abbott, you might like it. I love mine.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 11:21:00 PM »
In addition to those already mentioned, Liberty Contender and Great Northern Critter Gitter.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 02:04:00 AM »
Some of the ones I liked are no longer being made.
If your looking for something new thier are a few options.You allready said Baraga and the N.M Superior is slightly more mild than the Baraga I believe unstrung.A tad less reflex I believe and longer lengths

Dwyer Original longbow,Seven Lakes,Stewarts Mild R&D,Liberty Contender.Mohawk longbow and Mohawk Sparrowhawk,Cari Bow Featherhorn,Mohantango.I do not believe the GN Critter Gitter is currantly being made?But may be reintroduced possibly with the Bowyers son taking over?They had discontinued a few of thier flagship bows.But the G.N Bushbow which is available is Mild R&D and very stable and accurrate IMO.It has a wider limb though.The Critter Gitter is never a bad choice if they make it or can make you one.

J.D Berry was making the Argos a few years ago.Not sure about now?Thats the last one I had made for me.He also made a Taipan which had the forward/reverse handle.

Wes Wallace Royal is very nice but is more moderate in profle unstrung and does not string into a true D shape.The limbs flatten a bit at the ends.I had the 66" 2 PC T.D which was very nice looking and shooting.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 09:09:00 AM »
As mentioned above, Abbotts are great bows. I've been shooting them for many years. I'm on my fourth one now.

Unfortunately, Steve passed away so you will be hard pressed to find one. Used Abbotts don't come up often.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 09:17:00 AM »
Holm-Made Osprey or Goshawk.......2 of the best. The Baraga is a good one as is the Northern Mist Superior.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 09:40:00 AM »
Maddog

Online Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 09:48:00 AM »
Like a few others have mentioned, don't overlook the  Northern Mist Superior. It shows a very mild R/D when unstrung but once you string it up it maintains a very nice "D" profile like all ASL or Hill style bows. A very well mannered and great shooting bow.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »
I have a pretty consistent 29.5 inch draw, but would like to stay with a 60 to 62 inch bow. I hunt in the ground the majority of the time so I like a little shorter bow. I have a couple Kanati’s, but I’ve been wanting to try something a little more mild.
A lot of good suggestions here, I really appreciate it!

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 02:33:00 PM »
Robertson Stykbow has a number on hand on the in stock list to look at.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 03:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Covey:
I have a pretty consistent 29.5 inch draw, but would like to stay with a 60 to 62 inch bow. I hunt in the ground the major of the time so I like a little shorter bow. I have a couple Kanati’s, but I’ve been wanting to try something a little more mild.
A lot of good suggestions here, I really appreciate it!
Covey, based on your parameters, I would go with the Baraga and not look back.  Lots of super bows mentioned, but the Baraga is A+ and if you're already mentally headed that way, just do it.  Steve's bows are top shelf.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 04:10:00 PM »
The prairie predator is a great mild r/d bow. A lot of folks don't give be it the credit it deserves because of its price tag but it will shoot with the best of em.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 04:37:00 PM »
Hmmmm.  A 29.5-inch draw and a 60-62-inch mild rd bow is not a good match IMO.  At that draw length, a 64-66-inch would be much better in a mild r/d design.  

Sure, you'll be able to shoot the shorter bows, but stack and finger pinch will be noticeable.  The mild r/d bows don't have as much deflex coming off the riser as hybrid longbows and just don't handle the longer draw lengths as well.  Doable? Yes.  Comfortable? Probably not.

Good luck in your search.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 05:35:00 PM »
Another vote for Northern Mist, and one for Dwyer.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline RON ROMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
  • 406-505-0534
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 05:59:00 PM »
X2 what Ari-Bonn says. Big Robertson fan. Also, any JDBerry, as mentioned. My last favorite is my Wes Wallace "Royale"; IMO, the 68" Royale is one of the smoothest drawing and quickest mild r/d bows made. Good luck in your search.
Ron Roman

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 06:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Hmmmm.  A 29.5-inch draw and a 60-62-inch mild rd bow is not a good match IMO.  At that draw length, a 64-66-inch would be much better in a mild r/d design.  

Sure, you'll be able to shoot the shorter bows, but stack and finger pinch will be noticeable.  The mild r/d bows don't have as much deflex coming off the riser as hybrid longbows and just don't handle the longer draw lengths as well.  Doable? Yes.  Comfortable? Probably not.

Good luck in your search.
I was going to discuss this with Steve before I decide, but I’ve pretty well settled on the Baraga...we’ll see.
Thanks for the info

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 07:07:00 PM »
Jason,

I just recently acquired a toelke Pika.  It's a 56" model and I draw to over 29".  I am completely blown away by the smoothness of draw and the overall speed!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©