3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead sharpening with KME  (Read 1652 times)

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead sharpening with KME
« on: February 15, 2018, 03:48:00 PM »
I know that many stones can be used with the KME sharpener, but I was just wondering what stones some of you guys prefer to sharpen with for Grizzly broadheads?  I am considering a DMT diamond stone, but wasn't sure exactly which one may be the best for the job.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead sharpening with KME
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 03:56:00 PM »
If i bought a dmt i would get the xtra coarse as that stone is where i spend the majority of my time when getting the initial angle.  I would spend the extra $ and get widest one.  Once you get the burr with the coarse stone, medium and fine stones will do the rest.  I finish w stropping on cardboard.  Best of luck.

Offline KodaChuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 06:24:00 PM »
I have great KME success with a piece of glass and different sandpaper grits on top of the glass starting at 400 grit and going up 600, 800, 1000 etc. all the way you to 2000 grit. Shape your edge with the coarse grit and polish from there. Way better than stones for me and I've tried both!
Palmer Recurve 64" 46# @ 30"

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 09:55:00 PM »
I use a KME knife sharpener to do my broadheads. I originally got stones with the kit. I was not able to make them work well (I am very sharpening challenged), so I tried the diamond stones from my GATCO sharpener (very similar to a Lansky). That was the ticket for me, and now I get my broadheads really sharp.

What was mentioned above about the coarse stone was correct also! I got a 100grit diamond stone from KME, and it is always first on heads I have never sharpened before, to get the angle right.

Bisch

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 01:43:00 AM »
I bought a super cheap set of Diamond stones on auction sight that were wide enough for the head to be covered in one pass. Whatever you do, don't press hard at all on the stone, let the diamonds do the work! If you haven't bought the sharpener yet, I think the knife model with diamond stones is a better choice and get the xxc added to what comes with the kit!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 07:33:00 AM »
I agree with old_goat2. I have both sets of stones for my KME knife sharpener and I think the diamond stones are far superior. Once you get the bevel right with the coarse stone, you probably won't need to use it again unless you hit a rock and need to fix the edge again. I generally do 5 strokes on each side with the medium stone and then 5 with the fine stone. Then I'll run the blade over a leather strop a few times to get that "scary" sharp edge.

Darren

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 07:36:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I already have the KME for the broadheads, so I'm really wanting it to work out.  My thought was the same on having the diamond stones wide enough to cover in one pass.  I don't want to have to work back and forth on a narrow stone.  I'm thinking about getting the DMT double sided stones that way I can have the extra coarse, coarse, fine, and extra fine.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 07:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by JakeD:
Thanks for the advice.  I already have the KME for the broadheads, so I'm really wanting it to work out.  My thought was the same on having the diamond stones wide enough to cover in one pass.  I don't want to have to work back and forth on a narrow stone.  I'm thinking about getting the DMT double sided stones that way I can have the extra coarse, coarse, fine, and extra fine.
Those are the stones I use, double layer. Also have the 120 micron dmt dia-sharp stone, very aggressive making setting the angle much easier. All are wide enough to cover entire head in one pass without having to curve the path.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 08:55:00 AM »
Is there anyone who prefers the KMR Knife sharpener for broadheads? I'm looking to get something for broadheads and trying to decide between the two.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 10:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by texbow2:
Is there anyone who prefers the KMR Knife sharpener for broadheads? I'm looking to get something for broadheads and trying to decide between the two.
I do and I own both. What I prefer now though is 2 separate 1x30" belt sanders, one with a 400 grit belt and one with a leather strop belt, I can get a blade from setting the grind to shaving sharp in less than a minute
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 07:20:00 AM »
Ok, got a question about sharpening the grizzlies.   Using the KME, it's wanting to sharpen the center of the broadheads, but its not touching the tip or the back of the head.  Anybody have any advice on what I need to do to get it evenly sharpened?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »
Ok, got a question about sharpening the grizzlies.   Using the KME, it's wanting to sharpen the center of the broadheads, but its not touching the tip or the back of the head.  Anybody have any advice on what I need to do to get it evenly sharpened?
Yeah, just keep going! Setting the initial grind is super tedious and don't be tempted to push down hard, it can just make it worse! Coarsest stone you got and be careful you don't give yourself repetitive motion injury!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 10:59:00 AM »
I have it set at the steepest angle and it's taking off enough of the edge that it's actually getting into the body of the kme.  I feel like I'm doing something wrong here, but I don't know what it could be.  It seems pretty straightforward, but apparently something isn't going right.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 03:09:00 AM »
I have it set at the steepest angle and it's taking off enough of the edge that it's actually getting into the body of the kme.  I feel like I'm doing something wrong here, but I don't know what it could be.  It seems pretty straightforward, but apparently something isn't going right.
You went to set the head so the Jaws are as far towards the back of the broadhead as they can be and still hold it securely, and you want the point you go with to be repeatable so you set your broadhead in the same place every time. A little change either left or right changes the angle a minute amount, I'm guessing you have the knife model, you want up use the angled jaws for broadheads
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »
If your sharpening stone is flat,your broadhead blade is warped.That's easy to check with a good, steel,straight edge.If you keep going till the entire edge contacts the stone,you will take a lot of grains off the broadhead AND wear yourself out.I would first try rolling the broadhead left to right while sharpening,like you would with a convex edge like a Bear Razorhead and see if you can contact the entire edge that way.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 07:00:00 PM »
This WAS a great thread on using the kme before Photobucket went full idiot, the pictures don't show anymore, I wish the original author would update the thread via imgur photo share

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000115#000000
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 07:09:00 PM »
There is another sharpener that is fantastic for broad heads at far less cost but it can't be mentioned here without being deleted.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »
old_goat2,that was me.

Here is one I did for Vintage Archery and it's still working:
 http://www.singlebevelbroadheads.com/Honing%20the%20Tuffhead.html

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 10:17:00 AM »
Get the extra coarse/coarse DMT bench stone with holder. I got the 10" one and have used it for years. That is all you need. To finish use a piece of 600 grit sandpaper on top of the stone to get hair popping sharp.

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE PRESSURE on the diamond stone, the weight of the jig and broadheadand your hand is all you need. Pushing down with remove the diamonds from the stone.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Jim Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 06:44:00 PM »
I use the kme knife sharpener with the dmt alinger stone holder. I make one little change that makes a difference in how sharp you get the blade. Go to the hobby shop and get a piece 5/32" aluminum or brass tubing and slide over the shaft on the dmt aliner and it will fit the bushing on the Kme. I cut the tubing about 1/8" longer than the shaft and chamfer the end so it will enter the bushing easier. I also polish the tube abit. You also need to clean the bushing once in awhile as it gets grit in it. Sharpest knives and broadheads I have sharpened using the setup. Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©