3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A story from "back when"  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A story from "back when"
« on: February 16, 2018, 09:37:00 PM »
This is a story from when I was 9 or 10. I had already been shooting a bow since I was 5 years old. We still lived on a farm at the time and I had gotten a real longbow, lemonwood or hickory, from  Montgomery Wards or Sears Roebuck catalog. The arrows I had were wood with target points,the year would have been 1945-46.

One day my folks had to go to town and I went along. The car was parked on the street and I was left in the car while mom and dad were in the store. There was a hardware store nearby and I decided to check it out. What I found in the store was something I had been wanting for a long time...a real hunting arrow with a real steel broadhead on it.
I excitedly shelled out the 50 cents which was the cost of the arrow. That was a lot of money for a youngster back then but I had saved it from my allowance for just such a treasure as this.

I was back in the car when my mom and dad returned. When I showed them the beautiful arrow I had bought, instead of them being happy that I was so happy, my dad marched me back to the hardware to return the arrow.

I don't remember the exact words my dad told the man that had sold it to me but I just remember he was very angry at him for selling such a dangerous thing to a kid.

I didn't understand then, I was just very disappointed that I had to return it. Of coarse my dad was right, I probably would have shot one of our chickens, pigs or Lord forbid a milk cow.

I still remember how the arrow looked, it had a two blade fluted broadhead, beautiful cresting and barred turkey feathers. It was probably a Ben Pearson hunting arrow.
It would be many years before I would actually get another hunting arrow but when I did I was older and more responsible.......   :archer:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A story from "back when"
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:16:00 PM »
That’s good stuff Ron!!!!!

:campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 10:19:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:  Good times.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 10:19:00 PM »
About 1960 my Dad took up bow hunting.  He had a 56# bow that was made by a company that  Tim Miegs worked for and he may have built it, I am told.

Anyway Dad had a bunch of cedar arrows, barred feathers and three blade broad heads.  He broke one and I got ahold of the broad head end.  I taped it to one of my broken arrows.  He had a good laugh when he saw it,  and that was the end of my first broadhead tipped arrow.  My first footed shaft you might say.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 11:05:00 PM »
I feel your pain Mr Ron, I remember wanting an arrow like my older brothers buddy had. I think it had Pearson head on it. All my dad let me use were target points so that’s what we busted bunnies with

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 06:19:00 AM »
I remember being 10 or 12... the late 1960's, and my dad telling me that I could go to bow camp with him for a couple of days that fall. I had lots of arrows with field points but no broadheads. I ended up walking about six miles each way to a store that sold archery equipment and spending my allowance to buy two broadhead arrows.  They had Hilbre broadheads on them. I figured two arrows would be plenty....  I only had one deer tag! Headed to hunting camp in my dad's brand new 1965 station wagon!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 09:57:00 AM »
The first hunting quality arrows I bought were white shafted arrows from Ben Pearson. I killed a squirrel with one of them, which was my first ever bow kill. I miss the old style general hardware stores
Sam

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 10:45:00 AM »
Those were the days.  My first "kill" with a bow was with one of those little yellow fiberglass things with the red rubber grip.

I was pretty young, but a farm kid, so I took my little target arrow to the shop and drilled a hole in the end.  I hammered a nail into a sort of broad head on the anvil and stuck the other end into the arrow.

I shot a rabbit with that thing, it was sticking out both sides of the bunny and it ran and got hung up in the brush so I was able to catch it and finish it off.

I was sure proud of that rabbit.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 11:55:00 AM »
About 1953 when I was 14 years old I had a bear cub. We would roam thru the orange groves looking for jack rabbits.We had wooden arrows with field points.If we were lucky enough to hit one, it was bye-bye arrow. Someone told me to use a 38 casing instead of the sharp field point.I had better luck after that!
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 01:32:00 PM »
About 1973 I was in junior high school which would be middle school now adays.

There was sporting goods store right across the street. At lunch me and a couple buddies would skip lunch walk across the street and buy one or two Fred Bear "hunting" arrows and carry them back to school, maybe show the principal then store them in our lockers till the end of the day.

After school we would grab our hunting arrows and walk home with them or  some even rode the bus home. Man I miss those old days. Try that now!

I remember a few years later in high school most all the boys had rifles in the gun racks hanging over the back window of our trucks. There was talk of us having to have them in cases then and not visible.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 06:30:00 AM »
Bought my first "real" 30# Browning Mohawk bow at a drug store with a small sportsman  section.  Remember when drug was a good term, and sportsman meant they sold hunting and fishing equipment.  Not hundred dollar tennis shoes and soccer balls.

Bought arrows from the jewlery store for fifty cents each.  Bear cub arrows I beleive, yellow with barred fletching.  Shinnied some trees to retrieved the neighbors arrows he shot at a flying squirrell.  That supplied my broadheads.  Shot many a chipmunk and groundhog with that set up.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 08:17:00 AM »
I feel your pain, my brother...parents just didn't know quite what to make of us special, precocious children, lol!  My remedy for a while was honing my hunter's "concealment" skills, but that often produced painful consequences,which eventually helped me learn the greatest hunting skill of all...patience.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 09:28:00 PM »
This is exactly what the arrow looked like. You can imagine how excited a 9 year old boy with a bow would be to get an arrow like this.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 09:45:00 PM »
Very cool. I can relate.

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 10:06:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

Cool story!

Bisch

Offline JackReid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 10:48:00 PM »
Ron I had some of those with the red crest. Still have three of the broadheads.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 09:36:00 AM »
I have one just like it, same broadhead and everything. My full length picture is a bit blurry though.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 09:58:00 AM »
That might be the arrow I had to return over 70 years ago.      :biglaugh:

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 11:35:00 AM »
I'm a pup compared to some of you "vintage" gentlemen, but I remember seeing old bows and arrows hanging in the neighborhood hardware store as a kid. I believe they may have inspired my first attempts at bowyering with the poplar saplings growing around my Grampa's cabin. Getting the itch to try for a real one. Good stuff guys, brings back memories from the not so distant past.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©