3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Big was your First?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Big was your First?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
my first trad harvest was 90 pound doe, and    this was my first buck
...Curtis
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline Thaihunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
I'm still waiting waiting to shoot a deer with my long bow.  My first bow kill was with a compound bow and it was only 95# and I remember this kill the most.  
Who cares what people say, you hunt for yourself and its your time and skill that determines what you harvest.

Good luck.

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
She was about 5 foot 6 brown hair and about 130 pounds pretty thing! just joking small doe about 80 pounds but till this day it was like taking 150 class buck!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
The first trad deer i shot was a button buck. And if one like it gives me a shot today I'm taking it. There all trophies in my book I could care less what anyone else thinks or says, I just love being out there hunting with my longbow and i take what is offered to me.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Yeah, forget what folks think...you do this for you: the experience. I killed my first trad deer 2 years ago, a fat doe. Now it's 10 deer and counting with one large buck under my belt. At first I wanted to push my chest out to all my wheelie buddies: now I don't. It's all about me and my interaction with that critter. My personal accomplishments matter not my accomplishments weighed against others. Just have fun, pick out your deer, and execute the shot. You'll be in backstrap heaven before you know it.
Mike Davenport

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
I second the fact that when God blesses you with a deer you're rather foolish to pass it up.  There are "few" people who truly let deer walk waiting for just a certain sized deer.  Usually it's the people who aren't bringing home anything that turn into trophy hunters so they don't look bad.  In reality you just have to decide why you're hunting and then make your shots or not according to "your" standards.  I've let bucks pass for days in certain seasons when suddenly a smaller one came and everything said this is the one.  When I go home it's me I look at in the mirror and not other people.

Offline bearhair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
I just took my first this year.  Smallest yearling I've ever killed.  I never once hesitated when she came in to think if she was big enough.  Happiest and proudest moment of my hunting times.  I'd be willing to bet that 30 yrs from now I'll remember every detail of that hunt.  I've never dressed, bought a car, or done anything to impress anyone for bragging rights.  I'll never hunt to impress others.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
My first deer was with a compound - an old spike.
My first deer with the rifle was a 4 pt.
My first deer with the shotgun was 4 pt.
My first deer with the longbow was a 6 pt.
My first deer with the recurve was an 8 pt.

I missed does with the longbow and recurve before I took a deer with the stick.

I feel any deer is a trophy, a deer with any bow is a challenge, and a deer traditionally is gift that was earned with hard work.

It's not how your friends feel, it's what you feel.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
This is my second trad year and I killed a jumbo doe in my first and an 80 lber this last Halloween.I was very pleased with them both.Sounds like you need some new friends if thats how theyd see things.By the way, that 80 lber lasted about a week when my downstate cousins came up to hunt with me.One commented that he had never tasted any meat so tender and delicious.I was gonna shoot its twin this morning til a horny 6 pointer chased her off, he kept going though instead of adding himself to my freezer.Shoot what you want and have fun.
                      Izzy

Offline Plug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
Besides the philosophical side already well presented there is also a very practical side.

Killing deer with trad gear ain't easy.  After being very proficient at paper punching with a compound most believe their "precision shooting" ability has waned with non-sighted trad gear.  Add to that the skepticism they receive from others and confidence levels starting out aren't real high.  Nothing contributes to buck fever/failure like lack of confidence and nothing breeds calm nerves/success like confidence.

Go out and kill a bunch of deer, any deer and get your confidence up.  Then you'll be ready when the big ones come along because you KNOW you with your gear, are capable of getting it done.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
If I were you, I'd take the first legal deer that presents a good shot. In my case it happened to be a buck, but I would have gladly taken a doe. Doe huntin' is one of my favorite activities   :thumbsup: .
Hopefully in time you can win some of the naysayers over. Nothing does it better than backstraps on the ground!

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline northern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »
I think everything that can be said has been said.It truly is about what makes you happy.I bet you if you were to take one of those does,you would not be able to wipe the smile off your face.
Post pictures when you do what you already know is right.
If it wasn't for Hillary Blackburn I may have never found my way to the woods and the water.I miss you Puppy.Love from your grandson.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
I was twelve and the doe weighed more than me 140#
47# Red Wing Hunter, P.O.C. full length white dipped arrow with four shield burned red dye barred turkey feathers tipped with an MA3L that I had dipped and sealed and fletched myself. The shot was less than 5 yards. She dropped in her tracks as the arrow basically broke her neck. I dressed her out and dragged her to the side of the road half a mile away; and waited for my father with a smile so big I could have shined for deer with the moonlight that reflected off it.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
For the hours of practice, for the pure joy that you experience when you shoot. For the dedication you have for traditional archery.

What you shoot, or do not shoot, should be for
the honor of what you want. No one else.

As Vermonster said, offer them the use of your bow, and DARE them to accept the challenge that you have grown to love.

For the love, and spirit of the hunt.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Its great to be on a site where this is understood completly!  :thumbsup:  Thanks for all who contributed their 2 cents, and for those that are going to as well  :clapper:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
I have never shot a deer,but im goin tomoro.I will shoot just about anything that shoes 'cept for a spotted fawn of course.It doesn't matter to me if it's a doe or a buck(personally i think doe meat is better).I just hope i shoot one.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
The deer that John has a photo of on here, was about the size of the one I shot, the only problem is that was with the traditional bow 30 years ago,(1974), and it was on a wild game refuge, so I also had the deer stolen from me, shot the doe with a passthrough on both lungs, some guy and his kids found it and claimed, not a course before I raised a ruckus about it.

We all had to check or deer in (Indiana game refuge) and when he put his on the scale, I yelled from the back of the crowd of about 50 guys checking in their deer, " that's my deer" the conservation officer didn't listen the first time, so I yelled again, and he asked me what the story was, he looked at the guy and said " what's your story, the guy told him, and I told the conservation officer stick your finger into the 2 in. hole, and I asked him did that kill the deer, he said no, but this gentleman has the deer tagged, I can't take the tag off.  He gave me the opportunity to go into a bunker, and take any deer that I wanted,

They went in and night after everyone left, and collected the deer that people then find, clean them and hung the cool bunker, I was 25 and snotty, so I said " give him that choice I want my deer" I went home deerless !

That person shirted teaches three kids some bad hunting ethics.

I've learned long ago, it's not about the end, it's about the journey, and how you proceed with difficulties.

Carl

Still looking for my second traditional !
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2007, 12:20:00 AM »
Is there a prize for the smallest? My first was a spike in Mason Co. TX, a whopping 61 lbs field dressed. lol
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline hoebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »
Wow, sounds like you are getting those deer to walk in front of you. Now try to put an arrow through one of them. That is a horse of a different color. Good Luck
ABR

Offline Montyc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
Well said Bonebuster.
My first was a small spike about 100lbs.  I bet I missed 7 or 8 other bucks with my trad bow before I finally connected. I have shot a number of other larger bucks with wheels and guns, but I am more proud of the trad kill.  I could care less what anyone else thinks of what I shoot or what I pass up.  Just Thurs. I passed on a small spike that had only one spike on one side at 10 yrds.  He came as close as 5 ft from me and did not even know I was there.  I have already had a successful hunt this year by that alone.  Good luck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©