3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Going from a “hybrid longbow “ to an ASL  (Read 1947 times)

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Going from a “hybrid longbow “ to an ASL
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:15:00 AM »
After shooting hybrids for so long, I have been getting into the ASL longbows. It’s definitely a different animal, but enjoyable.
The only way I had found to avoid hitting my arm guard is to rotate/angle  my bow arm shoulder blade back towards my string arm shoulder., which put more strain on my tricep.
Does this seem right? I’ve already played with the brace height and am using arrows that are well matched.
Any comments, tactics you can share
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Re: Going from a “hybrid longbow “ to an ASL
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »
Hope your dental ins is up to date!  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:    

All kidding aside, have fun with it!

Bisch

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:58:00 AM »
OUCH.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 11:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by T Folts:
OUCH.
I’m not understanding your comment    :dunno:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 11:14:00 AM »
If I understand you correctly, that is the way JD Berry told me to shoot my Morningstar.  He said it would help with right or left control.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 11:15:00 AM »
I hadn't shot ASL longbows because all I heard was about hand shock.Then years ago I got a Howard Hill in a trade,wow Ididn't feel the handshock that I heard about.In fact I had bought and traded for more ASL longbows.I had up to five of them,they were all I shot for two years.I did feel alittle shock and hit my arm when shooting a dacron string on them.I shot low stretch materials on mine and quit hitting my arm.I still have two and still shoot them along with my other longbows and recurves.Some guys hate them but others love them.I wish I had shot one for myself way earlier instead of listening to other opinions about them.

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 11:52:00 AM »
I found the string could hit my bow arm when I was shooting the ASL with a fully extended bow arm and the elbow locked with the inside or the crease area of the elbow facing almost straight up.  This position will rotate the wide part of the lower arm into the path of the string.

I learned not to lock my elbow, and to rotate my lower arm so that the inside of the elbow crease is basically straight up and down.  This is a more comfortable shooting position for me and I now use it with hybrid bows and recurves.  It has eliminated the string slap problem for me.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by frassettor:

Originally posted by T Folts:
OUCH.
I’m not understanding your comment     :dunno:  [/b]
He might have been referring to my comment!

I was just poking fun. That's why I included the second sentence in my post!

Carry on!

Bisch

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by George Vernon:
I found the string could hit my bow arm when I was shooting the ASL with a fully extended bow arm and the elbow locked with the inside or the crease area of the elbow facing almost straight up.  This position will rotate the wide part of the lower arm into the path of the string.

I learned not to lock my elbow, and to rotate my lower arm so that the inside of the elbow crease is basically straight up and down.  This is a more comfortable shooting position for me and I now use it with hybrid bows and recurves.  It has eliminated the string slap problem for me.
I dunno about "elbow crease" but in my limited experience (5 yrs or so with hills) I believe you're correct about locking the elbow...break that lock (target form) and your arms will begin to tune-in to your back, shoulders and all of the rest of what happens in an instinctive release.

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
The string SHOULD typically hit you just above the wrist if you have everything setup correctly.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 07:27:00 PM »
They are enjoyable and great for nostalgia and if you want to take Stickbow shooting to a different niche, kinda like selfbows.  I've owned many.  I'm opposite, I always default to hybrids.  Hills are kinda like guys who shoot boltguns and semis and then want to get into black powder.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 07:32:00 PM »
I shoot all my bows with a bent elbow. It’s a natural for me. But my wife locks her. It’s a natural thing for her. So she needs that long arm guard. Tried to teach her to bend her elbow, it caused her pain. Point is, we an’it all the same physically.
 I will say this about locked elbow and bent elbow. A bent elbow is harder to keep the same way each time. You may come to your anchor but if your bow arm is not solid you could be short drawing. Shultz emphasizes the solid bow arm in his video for just this reason. Looking at how he cuts his arrows I believe he uses the back of the point for a draw check.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 08:01:00 PM »
Could it be that with the ASL you're "heeling" the bow grip more than with the hybrids? I know (thanks to Arne Moe & the Shooter's Form forum) that if I don't keep a 45* angle with my knuckles (in relation to the center-line of the bow) I get "string slap." I find that it is more difficult for me to do that when I'm shooting bows with a straighter grip.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 08:57:00 PM »
Watch this four times or more, don't add anything to it and don't change anything and you will get along with that ASL just fine.  Also, don't worry about the picture quality, you after the information.  

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 09:40:00 AM »
Check out Arne Moe's you tube videos
Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 09:48:00 AM »
Flyguysc x100
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »
Yessir..... try it and have fun.  

There are many who will say that HH's way is the only right way.  It was.... for HH.    You are not HH.  Find the way to do it that is enjoyable to you and have fun.  It will take some time and experimentation.   They shoot well, they shoot fairly fast, they can kill lots of game.  

I believe that they like heavier arrows and you can get rid of almost all "thump" by using heavy arrows.

I myself have a lot of bows and tend to grab the ASLs to shoot while the others sit.  They just suit my "feelings".  You might find that you don't like them, but hey, isn't that the way of everything ?  Try it and see for yourself.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 03:20:00 PM »
With wood arrows, it is very easy to set them up to use the point as a draw check.  To follow Hill's teaching via John Schulz takes patience, time and effort.  Many folks look for a simple four step automatic approach to making longbows work for them.  When one shoots them in a way to take advantages of the versatility for any and all hunting situations, then ASL longbows really shine.  I wonder when some criticize the Schulz plan, if they really took the time, had the patience, and done the work in detail as John described.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 05:21:00 AM »
Years ago, 1993-94, I was walking to the target butts with a buddy and one of his bows that he made(he is a top end bowyer, and excellent archer).
I was already making excuses about missing as we approached the line. I said things like, "  this bow is not tuned yet", or "I never shot this one before", I'm not used to this design..."
My friend had had enough of my excuses and told me that a good archer could shoot anybow. He took the bow from my hand and hit the mark several times, the proceeded to do the same thing with everyone's bow in our little group. Same arrows, different bow, archer making changes as needed.
An American Longbow is a very excellent and easy to shoot bow. Don't make it hard, but above all, don't make an excuse. Its not that hard, Keep it simple, because it is.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 05:38:00 AM »
An American Longbow is a very excellent and easy to shoot bow. Don't make it hard, but above all, don't make an excuse. Its not that hard, Keep it simple, because it is.

---right on chuck!!
 don't make excuses before you make the shot
Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©