3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on 47# for Elk??  (Read 2127 times)

Offline cadurfey

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on 47# for Elk??
« on: February 26, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »
Due to a recent shoulder surgery I have noticed that I cannot comfortably shoot bows in the mid 50's any longer. I recently acquired a Bear TD and absolutely love it!! It's an "A" handle with 47# number 3 limbs. I shoot it GREAT!! This year will be my second year Elk hunting in Colorado. I would love to take it but was concerned about it only being 47# @ 28. The arrows I'm shooting out of it are weighing 507 grains. My choice of broadhead will be a single bevel 200 grain Cutthroat. What are your thoughts? Enough to get the job done? Has anyone taken an Elk with sub 50# bows?
Listen to understand not to reply.

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on 47# for Elk??
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 03:05:00 PM »
Absolutely! That's all I hunt with now is 48-50#. just don't get careless with shot selection. Broadside or don't do it.
Good luck

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
Utilizing the search function of this site will give you the information you are requesting without rehashing the same information over again.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 04:02:00 PM »
In 1985 I purchase a very expensive (at the time) 60 lb at 28 (marked and scaled) "custom bow" to go on my first elk hunt.  I got it tuned up with 2117 al arrows with zwicky eskimo heads that weighed about 540 grns.  At the time, everyone told me it was a great elk setup.  It chronographed at 169 -171 fps with that setup. This was before fast flight strings were common.

Today, I shoot a Bear takedown with fast flight that is marked 45 but scales (same scale) 47 at 28.  It shoots an axis shaft set up with a Zwickey, single bevel no mercy head and heavy adapter that weighs about 545 grns.  It chronographs at 167 fps.  

So the two bows produce very similar momentums. There is a lot more to it than just bow weight.  

The Bear bow has some advantages over the heavier bow.  Primarily, I draw the lighter bow about an inch further and shoot it much more accurately than the heavier bow.  It uses a fast flight string and that helps.  Not to mention that the skinny, weight forward arrow should provide better penetration.  I have not killed as much game with the Bear (I've only had it 3 years) as the original bow, but I have killed enough to feel the combination gives as good as or better penetration (I haven't hunted elk with it yet though, maybe this year).

If you are concerned, spend some time on Tuffheads website looking at the linked articles linking momentum to the size of game hunted.  Use their momentum calculator and you can probably come up with a combination that will make you comfortable.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 04:37:00 PM »
Just check game regs before you purchase or draw a tag I believe 50lbs is the legal limit here in Wyoming for elk.

Offline cadurfey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 07:10:00 PM »
Sorry to bore you pdk25 with my questions....
Listen to understand not to reply.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 07:48:00 PM »
Not bored.  Just pointing out the information is already available, just like it is for most other questions regarding whether a certain poundage is enough for a certain animal.

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 08:06:00 PM »
My buddy killed a 340 inch bull with a 47 lb ACS.  Arrow was a pass through and went so far that we couldn’t find it after a lot of searching.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 09:38:00 PM »
Chootem!

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 05:38:00 PM »
Check out Basinboy on here he had the same thoughts but that year got it done on here all on video!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 06:02:00 PM »
I've never elk hunted, but will be going for the first time this fall. I'll be shooting a 50 lb bow with a 475ish grain arrow so I hope it's enough!!

Offline Dave Rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 06:54:00 PM »
I've known a number of people who have taken mature elk with 45-50# trad bows, well-tuned relatively heavy arrows, careful shot selection and good arrow placement. They also had to pass on more marginal shots and were willing to do so. Is 45-50# the best for elk? Probably not. But ultimately it's up to each of us to make our own decisions within the regulations.

I took 8 years off after my third shoulder surgery, so I wish you luck! I found I couldn't stay away from a stick and string, and this is my first year back.  I'll hunt elk, and everything else, with a 50# bow (@29.5"), ~580gr tapered doug fir arrow, STOS broadhead. 50# is the OR elk minimum.

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 07:06:00 PM »
47# @ 28" is likely the same bow as 50# @ 29".  And 50# @ 28" is the same bow as 47# @ 27".  I can almost guarantee you that your 47# will smoke my 50# board bows.

The advice I've read about light-poundage bows is that if you have any doubts with the bow, stack the odds in your favor with the arrow.  Go up around 700 grains, opt for more narrow single bevels, stack up your FOC, etc.  What you lose in trajectory, you should gain back in penetration.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 07:13:00 PM »
Well I am not an advocate of shooting light gear for an animal of that size, and that's what I'll categorize that bow weight. Not saying it can't be done. First you have a long wait til Elk season, so you should be able to work up as you heal. Personally I would not take a weapon that increases the already high risk of not getting a clean shot. Then there is the cost, time and effort involved just to do a hunt like that. I have hunted many Elk and they are an elusive target. Not worth the risk move up in weight and be spot on with your shooting abilities.
just my 2cents.

Offline laserman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 08:24:00 PM »
Actually just about every question asked has already been answered  before. If you don't like our rehashed questions ,just pass on by the thread without responding to it.
IF you hunt with your kids, you won't have to hunt your kids.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »
To help: I don't think PDK was bored with your question, frustrated or meaning to be insulting. As I see you are new to this site having just a couple posts. You might not be aware but we do have a search button that you can typ in key words or phrases and you'll see this topic comes up often.  
Colorado has a minimum of 35# so you are safe on that front for sure. I also would personally not hesitate to Cary that now you are describing. Like someone else pointed out.. Be mindful of your shot choices. Keep your distances probably under 25yards. Sharp 2 blade cutthroat is a great choice. And keep the total arrow weight on the heavy side 550 or so. I've personally switched to wood so I could get a heavy shaft and have been pleased. Good luck.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »
In 2010 I took a young 4X5 with a 46# BW PSA. Weighted Trad Only was 630 grains. I would recommend a heavy arrow. 23 yard shot, 125 yard recovery. Best of luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline modr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 08:32:00 PM »
He's asking a simple question, why not just help him out with an answer, or don't respond to his question at all, Ray

Offline highlandhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 08:41:00 PM »
Your setup is fine -- good luck and make sure you are in great condition!
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."
-Mike Tyson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©