3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on lighted nocks  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on lighted nocks
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:26:00 PM »
I'm new to using lighted nocks for hunting. I like the idea a lot and will see how much it helps in hunting situations.

I worry a little about the deer I hunt detecting the lighted nock and "startling" at the shot. I'm going to set up a few arrows with a bright orange nock and put a black fur tracer between it and the fletch... I've got a lot of time on my hands.

Whatcha think?
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on lighted nocks
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 09:41:00 PM »
After this past year I'm going to start using them. I thought with white nocks I'd be able to see my arrow pretty well, but that wasn't the case. Ended up hitting a buck in the shoulder blade, but I couldn't tell at the shot since it was starting to get dusky.
I don't think that a deer would see the nock and startle any more than with a normal nock, but I could be wrong. Unless you're shooting in really low light, I don't think the lighted nock would stand out a whole lot.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 09:50:00 PM »
Try them. I find students can see their arrows fly better. Helps them work on their loose. I shot a couple at rabbits-just to see hoe badly I really missed.  
I think those early and late day shadow hits would greatly benefit the archer using them
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »
I think they are COOL, never shot a critter with one on the arrow though. I don't think they would be very visable from the front end of the arrow. maybe there is a video of someone shooting toward the camera with one.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 09:58:00 PM »
found this one.

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 10:04:00 PM »
Hey Charlie,

Shot this guy with a lighted nock... he was looking my way bc I had bleated but did not jump the shot at all.

There are hundreds of videos on youtube of people shooting deer with them with no visible reaction.

Semper Fidelis

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 10:27:00 PM »
That's a hell of a testimonial Shan.    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 04:30:00 AM »
Charlie,
  I've shot a few animals - turkey, deer, bear, moose - with lighted nocks. Love how they allow me to see exact shot placement, quickly recover the arrow after pass through or along a blood trail, and often aid in recovery of the game. Know some are opposed as being an electronic 'aid', but for me, the nock has nothing to do with getting nor making the shot with a trad bow. Enjoy 'em.
                                     Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 07:05:00 AM »
To each his own,do whatever makes you happy!
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 07:06:00 AM »
Charlie , ive had the best results with nocturnals.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 07:26:00 AM »
Remember that they weigh quite a bit more than a normal nock and effectively stiffen your arrow spine a bit. You can take a little bit of copper wire and glue it into the back end of a regular nock for you practice arrows.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »
Their great
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 08:05:00 AM »
Charlie: This is not “scientific”, but is my recent experience with hogs. The outfitter told my son and I that red and green light is invisible to them, just as infrared light is invisible to humans. I was using green nockturnals and my son was using red “imported cheapies”. We both had the same experience of missing pigs just before dark. The lighted jocks appeared to brighten up as it got darker. However, pigs continued to come in, and paid absolutely no attention to the “bright balls of light” in the evening fog.

Now, when they got close and detected our scent on the fetchings, they immediately “turned inside out” getting out of dodge!

I shot a pig last year with a red light shining on a feeder. Pretty conclusive for me, as it relates to pigs. While I’ve shot deer with them, I’ve not experienced any interaction between deer and a lit nock.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 08:08:00 AM »
By the way, my son’s $2 nocks worked as well as my $10 ones. If anyone wants info on the cheapies, PM me.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 08:50:00 AM »
The nock on my Axis shaft weighs 10 grains.  The Nocturnal lighted nock, 20 grains.  Maybe I don't tune that well, but I haven't noticed any difference in arrow flight between them.

They're a hoot.  There is a down side though.  I missed a critter late last fall with a lighted nock and my arrow stuck at the base of a tree.
Every time I looked that way for the rest of my sit, the lighted red nock stood out like a beacon reminding me of  my blunder.  Kind of hurts. :>)

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »
I used a Lumanock this last hunting season, because my old eyes are not getting any younger. When I shot my buck it looked like a lazer and I was sure of shot placement immediately. It made it super easy to find my arrow too. I'm sold on them. Can't wait to use one in turkey season.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline anatone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
I have shot several deer with lighted nocks. To be able to confirm just where the arrow went (hit or miss)  has many undeniable benefits.
I did lots of testing on the popular lighted nocks and without question the Lumenok is the brightest! Light up several brands and place them side by side under average conditions and they are much easier to see than others. If they dont light up  you have not prepped the shaft correctly. They work great on carbon and aluminum. I want to hunt with wood arrows this year and may not be able to use em. Perhaps I wi use wood arrows for morning hunts and Lumenocks for the afternoon evening sit. That is where they really are nice to have!

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 10:43:00 AM »
I really enjoy using them - I've tried most all the brands at some point.  Nockturnal is my favorite, because of their "switch" to turn off.  However, they have a "rattle" if you have more than one in your quiver.  The l
Lumenocks are great, but they have a tendency to randomly come on once they've been activated once.  I've thrown away 5 or 6 at least that I've found glowing in my garage and worn their battery out.  That's disappointing.  

As far as spooking game - they aren't very visible down range of the shaft.  I can't imagine them spooking game.  

Most are < 10 grains different than a normal nock - if that ruins your tune, in my opinion you were too borderline to begin with.  I've never noticed them change a tune on any of my set ups.  

The advantages are great - no more "guessing" where you hit, helps to find the shaft in the leaves or debris, and it amazing for game recovery after dark or low light if the arrow didn't go all the way through the animal.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online Josh H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 10:46:00 AM »
I love having lighted nocks on my arrows. I use the Nockturnals and have found that green is the best color to see (over red).

They come in real handy in practicing, especially in low light conditions.

Let me tell you why I believe in them so much...

I killed two deer last year with them on my arrows. One was a great hit, the other, not so much.

I hit a real nice doe in the front shoulder, and she buzzed out of there in a hurry. I heard my arrow clang off one of the trees as she ran down the hill out of sight. I was sure I had lost her. I was sick.

I couldn't find blood right off in the immediate vicinity, but as I looked down the hill in the general direction I last saw my lighted nock glowing.

I went right to it, saw I had great blood (thanks to simmons treesharks which covers a multitude of mistakes I might add), and found her piled up 30 yards away.

Not sure I would have found the arrow or her without the nocks.

I won't hunt without them now...they made a believer out of me.

Josh

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 10:58:00 AM »
Charlie,

The benefits of a lighted nock far, far outweigh any negatives that I see. Nockturnals for me.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©