3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Barry Wensel Interview - Submit Your Questions Tonight!!  (Read 1585 times)

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barry Wensel Interview - Submit Your Questions Tonight!!
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 12:03:00 AM »
OkKeith: Probably my ratchet pruners (I use Florian brand)I use them a 100 times a day while hunting.
Also my Swarovski Habicht SLC 8x30 binocs. They have served me well over the years.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 12:05:00 AM »
rraming: Absolutely still use wicks and Smokey's pre-orbital glandular scents. I don't base my entire hunt around it but it sure helps and doesn't hurt.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 12:20:00 AM »
rraming: Most enjoyable hunt? I normally equate most enjoyable with the most laughs. Good hunts with good friends don't have to be equated to the number of kills but are remembered by the most laughs. One of my most memorable hunts was our bowhunt to Zimbabwe with Jack Nicklaus and his family in his private jet. They are a great, great family and a lot of fun to hunt with. Many, many laughs and memories. Another two of my most memorable hunts I mentioned and showed in my newest DVD. One was just a great morning where everything went perfect; he was out of range; had frost on his back; steam coming out of his nostrils; I gave him a single wheeze and he walked up to 12 yds. I double lunged him and watched him go gown in 30 yds. Another was that 162" 6x5 I got November 21, 2016 that was on the 57th anniversary of my first ever whitetail kill. Memories that I'll never forget and have been blessed to live through.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 12:28:00 AM »
arrow30: 1976 buck measured 219" gross N/T but he was "only" a 7x7. That's a lot of score for only a total of 14 points. Extreme mass including the biggest bases ever entered in the record book at that time.
Some of the most memorable got away never to be seen again. Keep trying guys.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 12:32:00 AM »
Thanks Barry!

I carry a set of bypass style cutters and some times a heavy set of alum. body, ratchet style PVC pipe cutters. I can get a two and half inch branch in those!

I also carry a set of binos but in all the years I have done so... I have never really figured out a comfortable way to carry them. Can't stand them around my neck and can barley tolerate the arm and head through the strap under the shoulder carry. I have thought about these snazzy chest rigs but am afraid they might obstruct the draw and release.

I have had some success with them stuffed in a high chest pocket sewn on the front of a fleece pullover.

Thank you for all I have learned from you. Keep on keeping on!

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 09:27:00 AM »
Regarding binocular straps, you should check out the simple Monostrap listed on our brothersofthebow.com website products page. That's all I've used for 20+ years and love it and only $10. I wear them high on my chest. The binocs don't interfere with you drawing the bow string and the weight is not on your neck but hooked to your belt or pants belt loop. I love mine. bw

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »
laughs is what I was after - thanks for the response!
I will try the wick

Offline rjackson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 05:21:00 PM »
Barry,
Back in the 80s I believe you were at Southern Sportsman Lodge in Alabama. Someone shot a armadillo that was running I can't remember but I think it was you?

Randy

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 06:43:00 PM »
My twin brother is my favorite hunting partner.  We seem to think alike during our hunts.  Is Gene your favorite hunting buddy?

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2018, 07:15:00 PM »
Hey Randy: Yeah, I remember you, which is pretty good for my age and how long ago that was. Yeah, that was me who shot the running armadillo too. Olympic Gold Medalist in archery Jay Barrs was standing next to me when I did it. Even he was impressed. Ha. But the good ole' boy who also witnessed it kind of blew it out of proportion by the end of the day. I hit the critter in the head with a judo tip. When we got back to the lodge the good ol' boy in bib overalls was telling everyone "you should have seen it... the armadillo was running the swamp as fast as they go... Wensel turned to me and said 'I'm gonna shoot him in the eyeball!' Ha.. that my friends is how legends are made!
Oh, I probably shouldn't admit to this but I'll fess up to the rest of the story too. Since it was an eyeball shot there wasn't much blood. So I double-wrapped the armadillo in two plastic bags and put him in the freezer at the lodge. Then I put the frozen critter in my suitcase, wrapped him in my dirty underwear and flew home to Montana. This was late January in Montana so it was pretty cold. So after I got home I layed the dead/frozen armadillo on the corner of 2nd. street and Central Ave. in Whitefish, Montana.
It made the local paper claiming it was the first armadillo ever seen in Montana. Nowadays I probably could have got in trouble for that... both from Delta Airlines, MT F&G and the city of Whitefish. I was a bad/bad boy!  bw

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2018, 07:18:00 PM »
Keith: Yes Gene and I tend to think a lot alike. We sometimes differ in opinions but when hunting our thought patterns are scary similar. But no... he is NOT my favorite hunting partner... he keeps shooting some of the bucks I'm after. bw

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2018, 07:50:00 PM »
Maybe it has been answered before but I must admit I have always wondered about the purpose of the sideways hat....
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2018, 08:37:00 PM »
That is discussed in detail in BOW II. There seemed to be a lot of thought and research that went into it.

Offline rjackson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 09:02:00 PM »
I always thought you would have made a hat out of that armadillo. That was a good time at the Lodge. I’ll never forget it. I think Noel was there as well.  If your ever in Alabama give me a shout and we can get after some of those southern bucks or dillo’s. Haha

Randy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©