3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Reducing weight on a Gamemaster Jet  (Read 569 times)

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Reducing weight on a Gamemaster Jet
« on: March 08, 2018, 07:21:00 PM »
Hi Gang, I'm thinking I would like to have the weight reduced on one of my Gamemaster Jets.  I hate to alter one of Jack's bows but it's hard to find one in the 50# range to buy or trade and I would really like to have one in a comfortable weight (for me) to shoot more.  Anyone else have this done? How did it turn out? Any recommendations on someone that does good, safe work in this area? Thanks in advance, Jeff

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: Reducing weight on a Gamemaster Jet
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 11:08:00 PM »
Bow Hospital.  It would depend on the glass, glass thickness and in most cases take no more than 5# of the weight.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »
I would be very happy with 5#.  I know that Rich Lopez did some work on Jack's bows when he passed away so I thought I might try to reach him as well.

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »
I just got a jet .  Beautiful  but it's alittle heavy also . 62 @28 .but the way jack  weighed them it's 65@ 28. . I'm just working into the weight as I would hate to alter the bow. Not a three d bow .but great for hunting
Dan Breen

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
I would speak with Rich Lopez before having anyone else do the work. If he cannot do it, he will be able to point you in the right direction. I've had bows reduced in the past and have always been happy with the results, but I prefer to sent them back to the original bowyer. Gotta love those "Gamemaster Jets".

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 02:37:00 PM »
Bill, thanks for the message. And, yes, I do love those gamemaster jets. I exchanged messages with Rich Lopez but he said he isn't doing weight reductions any more because they're too labor intensive. He also recommended I didn't do it on a Jet because the value would drop in half. That may be true but the heavier Jets are hard to move anyway because most guys my age or older are having trouble pulling them and most younger guys dont want them because they're 66" long and take dacron strings. ILF rigs are much more popular with them. I'll keep looking until I find someone I trust that can take 5 pounds off and do a good job. Unless someone offers me a trade on a lighter one (unlikely). Take care, Jeff

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »
Two problems with weight reduction of Jack Howard bows. He used urac/tear strip glass which is prone to slivering if any edge sanding is done in the wrong direction. Secondly, Jack built each bow precisely to the archers draw length and desired weight by use of his master lam and different size glass, plus he shined both the glass and maple lams.

Each and every bow he built the limb shape is identical because he pre shaped both lams and glass before glue up. Then used a pattern make to shape limbs. So there is very little extra limb area to work on for weight reduction and the surface area of glass can not be sanded thinner.

The only way to reduce weight on his bows is to trap the limbs with belly being narrower than back.

There are quite a few lower 50’s poundage Jets out there so don’t stop looking. Oh and remember every Gamemaster Jet is 3# heavier than what Jack marked them. Jack deducted the mass weight of the bow before scaling it.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 06:12:00 PM »
Kelly,

Thanks for the insight, it answers some questions that were lingering in the one of the back recesses of my mind.

Personally, I would not have anybody try to alter one of Jack's bows
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 09:10:00 PM »
Kelly, thanks for the detailed info on the Jets.  I received an article concerning Jack's building process on another site by another knowledgeable fellow wanting to help explain why it's probably not a good idea to tinker with a Jet.  i get it and really don't want to anyway.  I was just trying to figure out how to get more enjoyment out of these wonderful bows for years to come and not get stuck with them as wallhangers.  I'm encouraged by your comment that there are a lot of lower 50's poundage Jets out there but their owners must be holding onto them pretty tightly because I seldom see them up for sale.  I did manage to get a Gamemaster (non Jet) marked 50#s (scales 52#) and it is a pure joy to shoot.  Thanks again for the great info.  Take care, Jeff

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 09:31:00 PM »
I have a friend  with a #50 Jet he would like to find. Agood gome for ... it is is excellent condition. Send me a pm
Tyler C. Moore

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 09:41:00 PM »
Thanks Tyler, I am interested and will send my contact info in a pm. thanks again

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©