3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Would like to hear from the canoe/kayak hunters  (Read 2677 times)

Re: Would like to hear from the canoe/kayak hunters
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 01:12:00 AM »
This the closest pic I have of a canoe loaded down with game.  Limbshaker, finding people to go on canoe trips is easy, but you want to make sure they are on the same page as you and know how to paddle big Canadian and Minnesota lakes in the wind.  I would bet I see as many women as men on our BWCA and Quetico trips.  Warning, it is addictive.  the place to start is BWCA.com and Bill Mason, the place to contact is Williams and Hall outfitting, take the pretty girl on a canoe trip, she will love it.    

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
Kansas Public Land selfbow doe, a great day!

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 02:00:00 PM »
I've been canoeing all my life. I currently own 3 boats.
A 16 foot Wenonah royalex Rogue, a 17 foot kevlar Wenonah, and a 14 foot Mohawk whitewater canoe.
A couple of suggestions on choosing or rigging a boat. I'd want one (if it's a tandem boat) that the seats are oriented to the thwarts so I can sit backward in it for solo paddling. It's better, when solo paddling a tandem boat, to sit in the front seat and face the rear. That puts your weight closer to the middle of the boat. Sitting in the rear without having the weight of a partner in front doesn't work as well as facing rearward. Some canoes, like my kevlar boat, has a thwart directly behind the front seat...can't face backward in that boat.

Also, get a high quality yoke pad. The canoe will fell a lot lighter when carrying solo with a padded yoke.

And learn proper technique. For a long time, my wife and I just blundered our way along. We couldn't make the canoe do some of the amazing things that canoes can do. And our maneuvering left a lot to be desired. A trip on a shallow rocky stream usually include a lot of bickering and finger-pointing. We had little idea how to read current and eddies so paddling upstream was all but impossible.
Then we joined a paddle club and enrolled in some clinics. It's amazing what a skilled paddler can do in a canoe. One club member could paddle UP class 3 rapids because he used eddy lines. He could also roll his solo canoe just like a kayaker. He also ran waterfalls with that boat. He is an incredible paddler. My wife and I aren't that good but we can now put our boat where we want it. Canoeing is a lot more fun when you have a few skills.

The books...Path of the Paddle, and Paddle Your Own Canoe are excellent. I highly recommend them.
Another good book is The Complete Wilderness Paddler. It's a how-to book that is based on a wilderness trip that 4 guys took on the Moise River in Northern Canada. The river had never been run before. Those guys were true adventurers that faced some big challenges. It's a very entertaining book.

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 04:30:00 PM »
Rule number one with canoe partners, if they think there is nothing learn, leave them behind.   Once on the Upper Iowa, I heard a cliff fell across the river.  I borrowed a bent 15' aluminum canoe and took a motor cycle friend and  my brother, who thought there was nothing to learn and would not take instruction.  The river was a bit high, there were some higher than normal standing waves.  My brother would do the exact opposite  thing every time.  I kicked him out of the front seat  and put Mark who wanted to learn everything about everything.  Then we had fun playing with the river with the fully loaded little boat.  When we stopped on a gravel bar for lunch and the opportunity for me to sneak off into the woods to dig a little hole and "kill a snake".  My brother said, "I know what I did wrong I want to paddle again."   When we got to the fallen cliff, it was really something and river was gorging around it, creating a tremendous noise.   My brother panicked started doing a wild flay of rapid sweep stroke as we need the rock pile.  The river caught the canoe and we shot down the steep drop backwards.  We stayed up right.  The worst rapids i ever ran.  We were the first to run it.  Marky says 'that was cool, it's do it again."   I ordered my brother together his paddle out of the water, we beached on the down current side. There about 20 people on the rock slide to help unload.  We hauled the canoe over the rock pile empty and me and Mark ran the nasty rock water slide properly.   "Let's do it again."   Then everyone was lining up to shoot through it.  Some made it and some got wet, but a party broke out and nobody died.  There is lots of public land along the Upper Iowa that can be accessed from the river, but one would need a pick up on the down stream end.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 01:50:00 PM »
Pavan-
THAT is a gorgeous fish! I really like that well used Duluth Pack right in front of you as well. I would love to have one for canoe and kayak hunting trips but GEEZE are they pricey! I have several dry bags but they are the usual bright colors that just look garish stowed in the canoe. I usually cover them up with an old piece of canvas. I know pure aesthetics are rarely functional but it hurts my eyes (and my soul) to stare at that bright rubber all day. Your adventure with the newly formed river element sounds wild! I have heard that sometimes tandem kayaks and canoes are called "Divorce Boats". Hard to divorce family. My wife and I have never really run any fast water in our canoes. We had a vintage Old Towne Trapper canoe (my all time favorite, it met with a grizzly end when it tangled with a 20mph out-of-control Jeep). We did deal with some pretty rough lake conditions in it a couple of times.

Sean-
That looks like a TBH cover shot! I bet that was a fantastic hunt. How did the boat handle with the load?

Tom-
I have the Paddle Your Own Canoe book but will look to add the others to my library for sure. I'm not a big YouTube user but the CanoeTV and KayakTV channels have some very instructive videos on paddle strokes and canoe maneuvering techniques. I have learned a lot from them. Unfortunately all of my practical canoe experience has been learned from doing it wrong several times first (I imagine there is still an old Mowhawk pinned against a lay down in Missouri's Mulberry River, it didn't go back home with me anyway).

I occasionally listen to the Hunt Talk Radio Podcast. I just finished one where the host had a conversation with someone from Orion coolers. They are manufactured by the same company that makes Jackson Kayaks. The guest had just completed a kayak-in archery hunt (with wheel bow unfortunately) on public land in Tennessee. I watched some of the videos and its interesting.

Keep bringing the posts! This has been great.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 04:19:00 PM »
Most people on BWCA trips that go through outfitters, rent everything.   if the only time one is going to use a Minnesota 2 canoe is on a Bdub trip once every few years, renting makes sense, same could be considered for the packs.  I have been on 48 Quetico trips and a number BWCA trips, so it is cheaper for me to own my gear.  Buy Duluth packs when you are young, they never wear out, just need to get the liner bags every few years.
Fly fishing for smallies in Quetico can be hazardous to your wallet.  I have some really nice bass bugs, they can catch lots of big smallies, but northerns will race to the scene to be the first one to rip it off your leader.

Offline highlandhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 11:09:00 PM »
Nice fish and very informative thread.
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."
-Mike Tyson

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 05:23:00 PM »
I'm enjoying following this thread!  Great pictures!  My son and I paddled Isle Royale in Lake Superior last summer and plan to paddle the BWCA this year or next.  

Sunset on Lake Richie, Isle Royale

Heelin' on Lake Le Sage

Found some nice sheds and got to see the pair he was currently wearing the next morning as he fed across the cove

I would like to buy a canoe to use solo for downriver hunting trips and have been thinking about a 15 or 16 ft. Prospector.  Anyone have a recommendation?

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 05:55:00 PM »
If it will only be used for solo there are lots of options.  If you want to sometimes use it for tandem the choices get a little less, you will want a symmetric canoe.   How much it is going to contact rocks and gravel can influence your choice as well.  For a combination of toughness and weight Souris Rivers 16" Prospector and 16" Quetico are good.  My hunting canoe is the 16' 4" Madriver Explorer Kevlar with the stem and stern black inlay pads.  It was $2500 many years ago when it was last made.  I bought it for $500, It hit a steel dock support that was sticking up and they punched a small hole in it.  A dab of fiberglass and epoxy and it was good to go.  It is a great hauler with a load in big waves, but it is not as fast in the healed position as a Prospector.   I use an extra long kayak paddle when I use as a solo.   A Pal model would be just about perfect, but only a couple of companies make the Pal layup.

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks pavan.  I looked at the Souris River Prospector and it looks like a very nice boat.  I noticed it has 4" of rocker whereas the Wenonah or Nova Craft have 2.5" of rocker.  I wonder which one is closest to the original prospector design?  For versatility I want a boat that can be paddled solo from the bow seat so it can be used tandem as well.  You got a great deal on the Mad River.  I have three points for Iowa and would like to try float hunting the Upper Iowa you mentioned.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2018, 06:04:00 PM »
Gary-

Great pictures. I would love to have several days in a season to chase the owner of those sheds with my bow.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2018, 06:25:00 PM »
The four inch is more the same as the original prospector.   The 2.5" would be more like the Pal model.   We test paddled the 16 Souris River Prospector, I liked it, my wife hated it.    You need to know your strokes with it.   We never run aggressive white water, but we do take on big waves more often than I would like on some trips.   There are not many Nova Craft outlets in the country.   Some Prospector copies act like they want to roll on their sides and dump you out.   I paddled a wood canvas prospector from the original lines.  They had a nice firm spot that would settle to, but get to that firm reserve spot rather quickly when the boat was empty.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2018, 07:54:00 PM »
I used to build the Prospector in wood and canvas, and agree with Pavan re the rocker, closer to 4 inches depending on where you measure it.  The prospector is really a boat for heavy loads/tripping.  It's a deep boat, about 15 inches.  Not a lot of fun to paddle, solo, IMO.  Sure you can lay it over on its side and paddle from near the center of the boat solo, cut not terribly comfortable or fast that way.

Because of it's rocker, it is quite maneuverable, which makes it a good river boat, and the rocker and extra depth handle heavy water very well.  It would be my number one choice if I were going moose hunting for a couple of weeks.

For a deer hunt, I'd use one of the smaller wood and canvas canoes I own. I prefer the quietness and beauty of a w/c canoe.  Just seems more fitting with trad gear.  But, if money is no object, you might consider a Northwind Phoenix or Solo in Kevlar.  Extremely light and durable.  Big enough to carry you, your gear and a deer.  Rather narrow, but still maneuverable.  Not really a beginner's boat though.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 07:48:35 PM »
Finally got back from Washington DC after a four day weather delay!

Managed to get out and do some scouting in the area of the float in turkey hunt I have planned. I ran into the local Game Warden and he has put a crimp on my plans. He says that all State Hunting Properties MUST be accessed by authorized access points ONLY. He agreed that the float in would be a great way to get in there but as it stands its not allowed.

He is going to look into if I can request a special exception letter or something. As it stands right now... its a no go as planned.

OkKeith
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2018, 08:45:34 AM »
I love canoe hunting. It just adds a fun dimension and can really extend your hunting. I had one hunt last year where the temps were dropping and I had to do a quite a bit of ice breaking to get home...

Online PhilFloyd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2018, 09:45:17 AM »
I hunt the lakes and rivers  out of my Native Ultimate 14.5 or an Old Town Pak canoe.  The Ultimate is a lot more stable and roomy, but I really enjoy the 12' Pak Canoe.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2018, 12:35:42 PM »
Paul- That's a good looking boat.

I'm still a no go on my float in turkey hunt. Game Warden says the "official access" rule stands for now. Season starts this weekend. In lieu of my float hunt, I think I may go out west and hunt the sage brush country in the Oklahoma Panhandle. I think I will take the kayak and float some of the creeks WITHIN the WMA boundary.

Wind is blowing 25-35mph right now! I hope the weather settles some.

OkKeith
Theodore Roosevelt

Online Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2018, 03:27:59 PM »
Keith,  Did you ask the game warden where this rule regarding access is written?  I have looked through the 2018 OK hunting regulations and can't find anything that could be interpreted as such.

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2018, 09:28:24 AM »
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2018, 09:31:59 AM »
Sorry about that ...looks like I made a mess of that post .
Must have stutter typed with the picture entry  :biglaugh:

That happens when I get to talking Quetico-fishing-wilderness-canoes-bows and arrows ;^)))
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©