3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrows stiff?  (Read 863 times)

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrows stiff?
« on: March 12, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »
Ive shot a variety of spines, lengths, and point weights of cedars.  All are 11/32" except for a 42# 5/16".  They range from 36# up to 47#.  Everything i shot shows stiff, impacting to the right ( i shoot left handed).  The best of the bunch is the 47# arrow at 29".  The other arrows have been cut to 27" ( i thought i was getting a false stiff so i cut down).
My bow is avPika 40@29".  I draw 26.5".  Boa is cut i believe 1/8" past center.  In using fast flight.
This bow shoots ce predator ii .800s full length w 125 tip plus 40 grain outsert perfectly bare and fletched.  I use these arrows as a form check when im shooting the woods.
I seriously doubt these arrows are too stiff since the 47# shoots better.
Is there a false stiff reaction?
Could the shorter length and larger diameter profile mess with my aiming?  I use a fixed crawl and aim off tip of arrow.  Really want to try woods, but am getting frustrated.  I am making up a couple tapered 11/32 in 45 and 50 spine to try.  Any suggestions from those of you that shoot wood would be appreciated.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrows stiff?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:37:00 PM »
Sorry, meant to add that the woods are impacting 4-8" left at 15 yds.  The 47# sometimes hits close to center and sometimes goes 2-3" to the right.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:13:00 PM »
Sorry again--. That's right impacts at 15 yards-- one of those days...

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 10:30:00 PM »
I hear ya.... just curious.... do you have eye dominance issues ever?  I get days where everything goes right and days where those same arrows are right on.  A bad release can do that as well, but generally I see those flip over a foot.

I switched to lefty and I still struggle at times, I think because of eye dominance.

Oh... you can edit your original message without having to post more messages.  Click on that pencil and paper at the top of the post you want to edit.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:21:00 AM »
Eye dominance has run my life---I have very little vision in my right eye and learned early in life that shooting anything from my right side (except a handgun) was an exercise in futility.  I shoot my bow left handed and look right down the arrow with my left eye.  I shoot my tuned carbons along with the wood---the carbons hit dead center and the wood arrows fly wide to the right.
If not spine issues the only thing I can think that would cause this would be arrow length---my carbons are longer so maybe I adjust further to the left to line up the shot with the shaft than I am with the shorter arrow?
Thanks for the advise on the post edit feature.  I will try to remember that in the future.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 08:24:00 AM »
What is your shooting style?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »
Shooting LH if you are using the point to aim with the larger diameter shaft is going to shift your arrow point to the right and therefore point of aim to the left same as moving a rifle front sight to the right would. If you find the spine that matches your set up and stick with the larger diameter shaft you will eventually shift your bow arm to make up for the difference but would have the same issue switching back and forth between shaft types. Also when adjusting wood arrow length an inch in length equals 5lbs in spine as does 25gr of point weight.

I would add I'm getting good flight to point of aim with 55-60# 28" BOP and 125gr tip from 70's recurve at 42# with B55 string. I shoot LH and  right eye dominant but don't use the arrow to aim.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 01:14:00 PM »
Once again, I have found that the principles of Occam's razor applied---the simplest answer is often the right answer.  Sometimes stiff is just stiff and as usual I was overthinking the problem.  As nek4me pointed out I had really changed the spine of my arrows by cutting them back to 27"--that is why the 47# arrow was flying better than the rest of the bunch.
Today I shot some test shafts from Wapiti.  I had a 36#, a 45#, and a 50#.  I cut them all to 30 3/4" to BOP.  I put on 125 grain tips.  I expected the 50# arrow to tune best.  Well I got quite a surpise when the 36# arrow hit center every time---it literally flew as good as my carbons.  These were tapered shafts. The 45 and 50 showed progressively stiffer.  I will wait for a calm day and do a little broadhead testing as well as shoot them out of my 42# Whip to see differences.  Thanks for the input.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 09:24:00 PM »
Curious results. I'll be looking for what shoots best out of your Whip; my wife's Whip HS likes a dynamic spine 5# heavier than the draw weight (11/32" wood shafts).
I could see how the 36# ahoots well since your draw lenth is lightening the poundage'bout 3 lbs. or so.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©