3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SHOULDER REPLACEMENT -- number 2  (Read 39907 times)

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHOULDER REPLACEMENT -- number 2
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2018, 06:26:04 AM »
Joe, I was also told it will take a year or more for things to heal up. I slowly feel things moving but I keep that thought in mind and aim my full recovery for next summer. Hope your well. :archer2:
John

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2018, 01:09:59 PM »
I was up to a buddy's cabin this last weekend near Fremont mi.. A neat place that's a mile off the road and has been in his family for almost 100 years. We hunted squirrels with our flintlocks and I got to play with my new Bear K-4 static recurve that is 35#@ 28" I can handle the weight fine and I'm sure it will kill a deer.

My TOTAL shoulder replacement was on June 19th so I think I'm doing pretty good.  :jumper:..... :archer2:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2018, 01:53:42 PM »
Ron,
That is really great news. It sounds like you had a great time -- flintlock squirrel hunting and shooting bows in a comfy cabin in a beautiful place -- what could be better than a weekend like that!

Your recovery is going real well it seems. And, I think you are right that an accurate shot with 35# will kill a deer as dead as a heavy bow -- dead is dead, after all. It is so great that the shoulder replacement has kept you in the game and that you are shooting a bow -- and a flintlock too.

Heavy bows and youth go together. After we have a few years and miles on our old bodies, we have to be a bit more crafty and smart about how we use our old (and newly replaced) joints.

My bout with tendinitis is beginning to resolve itself. I am going to be hunting deer (and coyotes if one happens along) this coming weekend. I am seeing a lot of signs of deer movement, and I have seen some very big, old does that would fill the freezer pretty well. I'll hunt for venison in October and the bucks in November.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2024, 08:18:28 AM »
Rather than start a new Shoulder Replacement thread, I thought I’d just add to Smokin Joe’s.
I go under the knife for a total reverse shoulder replacement tomorrow(same procedure Ron had done). It’s my fourth shoulder operation, the other three being repairs. I’ve just re-read this whole thread and a couple things stood out. The Ice cuff is no longer covered by insurance( at least mine). In the mandatory pre-op meetings we were told a bag of frozen peas or corn would work as a replacement.
Another thing is the bowel protocol. The opiate based pain killers really bind me up, so I paid particular attention here. Metamucil or other stool softener, lots of veggies to keep things moving along. Too loose for a week or so is much more preferable for me.
My surgeon if very cautious, I’ll have a lifetime 20# weight restriction on my left arm now. I was particular in asking about lifting weight vs draw weight and he said to keep it under 40 pounds draw weight.  :readit:
In a pillowed sling for 6 weeks except for showers and PT. 
Like Joe I’m miserable, having to stop my NSAID meds last Thursday. I’ll be trying the Tumeric for my arthritis.
A loving wife and good friends make the future brighter than it might otherwise be.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2024, 08:44:44 AM »
I wish you well.

Frozen peas and corn make good ice packs. Since you will be icing a lot, get two packs so one can be getting refrozen while you use the other -- and remember to throw them out after you are all healed up. I wouldn't want to eat anything that has been thawed and refrozen dozens of times.

In my opinion, your surgeon is being very cautious and conservative. That is wise. You will probably be able to use a 40 to 45 pound bow once you have healed and regained strength. After a shoulder replacement you can get quite strong, but be sure to limit pressing movements to 45 pounds and under. The plastic part of the new shoulder needs to be protected from too much stress from pressing movements.

You are correct about opioids and your bowels. I took over-the-counter stool softeners and fiber and the combination worked well. I also had standard laxatives on hand just in case.

Be patient. It will take a long time to recover. At first your shoulder won't want to move...that is normal. Just be patient and follow your recovery instructions. I found that I have needed to continue to work on strength exercises several times a week, and I suspect that I will need to do that for the rest of my life. It is a small price to pay for having shoulders that work.

Let me know if you need further experienced advice, information, or just a pep talk.

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2024, 09:43:05 AM »
I had my second reverse shoulder replacement 8 weeks ago.  My first was done 4 years ago.  This time they used a small pain pump inserted into my neck to supply a novacaine type pain relief.  This is to help reduce the need for opiod pain relief.  I only took two narcotic pain killers after arriving home after an overnight stay in hospital.  We have a Bregg ice machine but never used it and only used ice packs.  You’ll probably be sent home with the gel type ice packs. Pre surgery I was able to shoot from both sides shooting 45# lefty and 40# righty. I did work into a 55# but have backed off in weight. It took me 5 months to get back to 45# after first surgery.  I had both knees replaced as well and feel the reverse shoulder replacement is a much easier. Good luck with your surgery!
'59 Kodiak 45# Gainesville 60" LH
Jim Hoker Woodspirit Bows 60#, 55#, 48#
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2024, 11:29:42 AM »
I’m hoping I’ll be able to stay with my bows I have now. Both pull #43, a Widow PL and a Thunderchild. I’m one of the Grumpy Old Archers here in west-central Indiana. We’ve recently started building our own laminated bows, Coal Creek Creations. There are forms for longbow, recurve, r-d and hybrid. The guys will either make me one or have one roughed in for me to finish off as best I can. I figure #25 to start with.
Joe, thanks for the offer of help.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2024, 06:05:15 PM »
All I can say is WOW!
I had shoulder surgery two years ago. Two torn tendons and rotator cuff overhaul w cadaver graft. After surgery my Doc said I wouldn't be shooting a bow again right handed. I shot lefty w a mouth tab while waiting for surgery, which took almost a year. Took a month to get good.

After surgery I shot lefty still using a mouth tab. I had an Awesome physio therapist. While I may have been able to shoot righty I didn't chance it until the new year. I've been steadily improving and getting muscle back. I'm at 43# now but hope to be close to 50# by this fall.

If it doesn't work out for you. Seriously try lefty and a mouth tab. It's deadly! Look up Jeff Fabry on YouTube.

PM me if you need any help. 
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online Wyoming Chief

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2024, 10:14:37 PM »
I have had both shoulders replaced. the rehab goes slower with the bow holding arm. You will do fine but follow your therapy religiously and be patient.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2024, 05:06:26 AM »
Guys, your experiences plus what I’ve read and heard from others plus my past surgeries show me that we are all separate cases. It’s not like replacing the ball joints on a ‘98 Jeep where it’s all pretty much ch the same from vehicle to vehicle. My oldest brother had both his shoulders reverse-replaced but the doc didn’t say anything about a weight limit, just let the atrophy that had occurred limit what he did(he’s 80).
This time around it started with tossing small branches onto a brush pile, inch and a half around and 7-8 feet long. Just a little sharp pain. Many “little sharp pains” later and here I am.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2024, 08:08:32 AM »
Good luck with your surgery. Listen to the doctors, you’ll be up in no time. Prayers sent
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2024, 01:21:02 PM »
We'll keep you in our prayers.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2024, 07:06:44 AM »
Nerve block is mostly worn off now. It is quite noticeable. Any slight movement brings a reminder to not do that. OxyContin every 4 and ice 20 on, 20 off keeps the pain  dull and in the background. PT will contact today and I’ll prolly go in 2x weekly and do the rest here.Wild game dinner is the 16th, I hope to make it!

Online jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2024, 12:15:11 PM »
Did they put a pain catheter in your neck? Keep icing for pain control.  My doc very conservative with PT.  I’m 8 weeks out and only doing 3 exercises 3 times a day that activate your different deltoid muscles.  Good luck and keep us informed on your recovery!
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2024, 02:40:05 PM »
No catheter jr.
I’ll find out pt regimen Tuesday
My doc is pretty conservative re: weight limits going forward.
It’ll be up to the pt folks as to how fast the flexibility and strengthening go.
The only way out is through

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2024, 08:12:28 PM »
You got this!!!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2024, 10:43:40 PM »
Be patient, and do what you are told to do. The physical therapy will seem terribly conservative but there are excellent reasons for that. Things need to heal and the prosthesis needs to be secure. The physical therapists have knowledge and experience with replacement rehab. Do what they tell you to do and you will be fine.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2024, 11:11:11 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Once again, thanks guys.

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2024, 09:06:26 AM »
Right shoulder total replacement 2017 draw arm. Now facing left arm same thing. At 73 not looking forward to it.  I am going to try COOL LIEF procedure, anyone hear of it??
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Online jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2024, 10:31:17 AM »
SS Snuffer, I have not heard of the coollief procedure.  The doc said 70% of shoulder replacements are now reverse replacements.  In my opinion it is a easy recovery.  Range of motion will be less than conventional.  Good luck with your procedure.
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©