3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SHOULDER REPLACEMENT -- number 2  (Read 39926 times)

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHOULDER REPLACEMENT -- number 2
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 12:02:00 PM »
Condition update. Six days post surgery.

There is swelling in my arm, but it is not too significant. I can move my elbow joint fairly well. I can do some passive movement of the shoulder joint, but I cannot make the muscles that control the shoulder fire yet. I believe that the ability to move those muscles at will, even slightly, started coming back with my other shoulder replacement at about the 25 day mark.

Pain control is working much better now. I am using oxycodone during the day and the more-powerful delaudid at night.

Per doctor's instructions, The surgical dressing came off today and the incision area got a good cleaning and re-dressing.

So far, so good. There is still a long way to go, but the worst is in the past.

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2018, 02:05:00 PM »
Nice and clean. No redness. Congrats on the progress.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

huntryx

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 08:40:55 AM »
Lookin' good.  :wavey: I had the nerve block for mine-- creepy, but it worked well. Pain was minimal, handled mostly by OTC meds after the first 3 days. You're on the road to recovery!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 01:04:32 AM »
I have had my two week follow up appointment. The staples that closed the surgical incision have been removed, and I have started the first level of physical therapy. The physical therapy is all passive motion stuff, in other words using my other hand to move my arm without any involvement of the muscles in the arm that had the surgery. So far so good.

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 07:08:12 AM »
From the photo of the x-ray you can see the metal part of the new joint. The plastic part does not show up on the x-ray. Everything is in place and as it should be. It will take another month for the implant to become solidly attached through bone ingrowth. Rehab to good working strength is 4-6 months. Hope to be ready by the time deer season gets here in September.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »
Glad you made into our new camp!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 11:08:48 AM »
Me too. The new version looks great.

Now, on the subject of bowhunting...

I am determined to make it back to being able to shoot a hunting weight trad bow -- now with two artificial shoulders. It is going to be a long haul, but if determination has anything to do with it I will make it.

I will post here as my post-op progress continues so that others who face a shoulder replacement have a timeline based on a real experience.

My previous shoulder replacement was my string hand side. This new one is my bow hand side. I presume the progress will be different -- pulling vs pushing -- but that will become clear as time passes.

It is one heck of an adventure.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 08:25:40 AM »
Time for another update. I am now one month post surgery. For those of you just tuning in, this is my second shoulder joint replacement. This time it is my left shoulder. I shoot right handed.

Physical therapy is tough, painful and beneficial. I am slowly getting some motion in the shoulder joint and increasing the passive range of motion. The indication of progress, for me, is that I can now put my hand on the steering wheel of my car and drive two-handed -- not easy, but possible.

As I recall from the replacement of my other shoulder joint, the most amazing gains in range of motion, strength and usefulness of the joint happened between the 4th and 12th week of post surgery time.

I am looking forward to a couple of good months coming up. I hope to be shooting by week 12 -- maybe a bit before.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Dave Rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 05:54:09 PM »
Joe,
Great to hear of your progress, and thank you very much for posting.

13 years ago I had my first shoulder surgery during which they discovered I had less than 10% remaining cartilage as well as a torn labrum. Further evaluation revealed the same cartilage condition in my other shoulder. Prognosis at that time:  two shoulder replacements in the next 5-7 years. Three surgeries and three years later I sold all my bows and went cold turkey on archery.

Today I live in discomfort and frequently lose sleep to shoulder pain. But, strength is decent and I have almost full range of motion. I'm sure you're completely familiar with the tradeoffs. I look forward to following your progress, and will use it as a meaningful data point for my own situation.

The rest of the story is that I just didn't 'take' to rifle hunting. I'll take delivery of a new longbow in a week or two and plan to hunt elk and deer this fall. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas! And, although I won't be able to shoot 100+ arrows a day like I used to, I'm hoping that with the right practice my shoulders will hold up and I'll be ready when the leaves turn.

Best wishes for a fast and full recovery,
Dave

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 06:24:24 PM »
Time for another update. I am six weeks post-replacement and things are going very well.

The range of motion, both active and passive, is improving rapidly now. I can raise my arm above horizontal and with help it will go completely overhead.

The joint is stable and solid, and I am regaining rotator cuff strength and mobility with light stretch cord exercises.

The next two phases are strengthening phases -- first light for a few weeks and then heavier to permit everyday strength needs.

I am pretty optimistic at this point.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 08:43:40 PM »
Great to hear Joe. Keep on keeping on. :clapper:
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
Good deal Joe,I'm getting my right shoulder done June 5. Glad I seen your thread as I did not know totally what to expect.I am right handed also so this is my draw shoulder. I do expect to be hunting this fall and appreciate your updates. I have the same condition as you did with the arty and need it replaced. Good luck
Thanks, John

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 11:13:36 AM »
John,
If you search "shoulder replacement" you will find the thread I posted about my right shoulder replacement -- my draw shoulder. The thread runs from the day before the surgery all the way through my successful return to shooting a bow. I wish you luck with your shoulder, and please feel free to contact me if you have questions or need encouragement.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »
Thanks Joe I will check that thread out and I'm sure I may have some questions about post surgery and shooting.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 02:16:17 PM »
Glad to hear you are coming along Joe!  Thanks for all the updates!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 04:54:20 PM »
It's update time.

I saw my orthopedic surgeon today for an examination. I am now just short of 8 weeks post surgery. The doctor said I am a bit ahead of schedule in terms of range of motion. He also told me that the initial period of fixation of the artificial shoulder to the bones is going well, but that there is still a level of vulnerability for at least another month. So, I should still be careful not to try to go too quickly or do too much.

He said he is pretty confident that I will be able to shoot a bow before the fall, and that I should keep up with the physical therapy and light strengthening. A higher level of strengthening can start at around the 12 week mark.

I can now hold my bow arm (left arm with the newest shoulder) up as if I am holding a bow. I'll start holding it in that position with a 1 pound weight in the next week or two. It is all such tiny, baby steps at first -- but the long-term success depends on being patient and doing as I am instructed.

I'll update again next week.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:20:13 AM by smokin joe »
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 05:54:09 PM »
Joe,

Glad to hear you continue to do well with your shoulder recovery. Your "can do" attitude is definitely the right thing to have and will help you to a successful recovery!

Keep up the good work,   
BowMike

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2018, 08:50:25 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement. It really helps keep my spirits up.

I am learning that there is a difference between a shoulder replacement of the string side, my right shoulder, and the bow-hand side, my left shoulder. Apparently it takes a lot longer for the healing to take place for a pushing motion than a pulling motion -- so my left shoulder (the one just replaced) will take a couple of months longer to get to where I can shoot than it did the other side. This is due to the fact that a tendon has to be cut and then sewed back together during the replacement and that has to do with the pushing motion.

Nevertheless, I am encouraged that the surgeon believes that I will be able to handle a bow by the time deer season opens. I have a good friend who generously lets me hunt deer on his property, and I see coyotes there too. And, I am seeing bobcats on the trail cameras. So the hunting is good.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 08:48:13 AM »
You know, in the right states there is a natural pain remedy that is more successful and much safer than those heroin based painkillers.  ;)

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 09:44:55 AM »
 :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

LOL.... Are you talking about that "Whacky Tabaky" they have in Colorado?

In all seriousness, I have been off of pain killers for a month now. And I am lucky in that the opioid-based pain killers like oxycodone that I was prescribed don't effect my brain, they just kill pain. I know people who get so messed up on pain killers that they shouldn't take them at all.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©