3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SHOULDER REPLACEMENT -- number 2  (Read 39921 times)

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHOULDER REPLACEMENT -- number 2
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2018, 04:23:31 PM »
Thanks Mr Bok. The fact that you were shooting a hunting weight bow months before the one-year mark is terrific news -- and very encouraging. I have a place that I hunt that has terrific whitetail movement in October, and I hope to be shooting naturally and confidently by then.
 :pray:
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline MrBok

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2018, 08:01:43 PM »
Joe, sounds like you are doing well and on schedule. You know how it goes, keep working hard and you'll get there. Remember keep stretching, that's important, strength will come next. Soon your muscles will be happy to be working again.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2018, 08:09:19 PM »
Congrats on the progress, Joe!

I missed seeing you this past week.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2018, 12:49:26 PM »
I am now 12 weeks post-surgery. I had my left shoulder replaced on March 12. Those of you who have been following this thread know that this is my second shoulder replacement -- this time on my bow-arm side.

The good news is that today I finally managed to shoot a real bow. The bow is a 30-pound Bear Polar target bow from the early 1960s. I took a VERY cautious first two shots that were to test for pain and/or dislocation or any other indication of problems or damage. Then I managed to take a bunch of shots and hit consistent bullseyes at about 15 yards. This is a very encouraging development. I think I can now shoot with the 30 pound Polar on a daily basis to build strength and stamina in the new shoulder, and to get my form to where it should be.

It has been a long and tough road getting to this point -- with rehab exercises every day. The road ahead is still fairly long, but I think I will be shooting a hunting bow in a month or two.

My goal is to be able to shoot my hunting bow again with two artificial shoulders -- and to do so with comfort and accuracy. Once I can do that I will go hunting.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »
Great to hear, Joe!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Dave Rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2018, 04:46:32 PM »
Fantastic progress!

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2018, 05:17:02 PM »
 :thumbsup:
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2018, 09:09:24 AM »
Joe you give me hope and encouragement. Had mine done yesterday and all went well and I’m on the road to recovery. Glad to hear your great progress I will be in touch . Thanks

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2018, 09:29:25 AM »
John: The first few days after surgery are not fun, but be confident that from now on each day will be better than the one before. You are about three months away from feeling great, and 4-6 months away from shooting a hunting-weight bow. Hang in there.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2018, 10:08:02 AM »
Here is the three-and-a-half month post surgery update...

My shoulder feels comfortable most of the time. There is still some discomfort below and around the AC arch, and the top of my deltoid muscle is almost always sore.

Rehab exercises continue and I am making small strength gains. The rate of recovery has slowed down, which is to be expected. I can shoot a 30-pound bow easily and comfortably, and I can now get my 43# hunting bow a few inches from full draw.

The shoulder is still tight and a bit uncomfortable when my arm is above horizontal.

I do a bunch of shoulder rehab exercises each day, mostly with a variety and/or combination of exercise bands and dumbbells that range from 5 pounds to 55 pounds. At the gym, the upper back and rear shoulder exercises are back at 50% to 75% of normal pre-shoulder-decline weight, while the front shoulder exercises lag far behind due to the continued healing of the front of the rotator cuff where it was severed and sewn back together during the surgery.

Hunting in the fall still looks realistic, but it depends on how much the strength progress slows.

I wish this were going faster, but I realize it takes time and my body will heal at its own rate.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2018, 01:14:28 PM »
Good deal Joe keep up the good work. I’m one week post surgery and doing well.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2018, 06:58:56 PM »
A question just to ease my curiosity, please. Once you finish rehab and regain strength, etc., will there be any "mechanical" issues with the replaced shoulders, or do they flex just like they originally did? I'm glad that you are continuing to improve.
Sam

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2018, 07:54:22 AM »
Sam:
Since the replacements are metal and plastic, they do not have the extremes of range of motion of original human anatomy. However, they are pretty good -- and far better than a weakened, arthritic, diseased, and deteriorated pre-surgery shoulder.

There are precautions that need to be followed after the replacement. The danger of damaging the implant is always present, and premature wearing out of the implant is something to be avoided. So, it is best to avoid things like heavy bench presses, heavy recoiling rifles, punching a heavy bag, throwing a fastball, etc. -- Simply being as strong as possible without large shock loads or overloading the plastic glenoid cup too much is the order of the day.

Before the surgery, my shoulder joint was so worn out that I could not do much, so the after-implant precautions are still better than before the surgery -- but not as good as my shoulders were 20 years ago when I was a bit of a fitness beast.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:07:01 PM by smokin joe »
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2018, 07:55:54 AM »
John: As you know, the worst is over for you. Follow doctor's orders and get plenty of rest.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2018, 02:04:08 PM »
Glad your coming along Joe!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2018, 03:49:16 PM »
I'm only a few days away, next Tuesday the 19th. I'll be checking into a Rehab Center for a week or two after.

When I tell people I'm getting a total shoulder replacement they say, "OH NO!"....is it too late to back out?  :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2018, 04:33:52 PM »
Good luck Ron. The day you go in will be my 2 week post op date mine is doing fine just stiff as hang. PT gave me pendulum exercises to start. My check up is June 22 hopefully we do some stretching. I never really had pain just no ROM which was expected. Starting to get bored but have to fight the urge to do more than what they gave me. Sorry no backing out now!!!! 😂 Again good luck!🍀

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2018, 08:57:19 PM »
Good luck Ron. I’ll be looking forward to an update from you after your surgery.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2018, 09:33:21 AM »
Tomorrow,... :o  :scared:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline swampwalker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2018, 09:40:44 AM »
Saying a prayer for you Ron. Keep the faith brother.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©