3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SHOULDER REPLACEMENT -- number 2  (Read 39914 times)

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHOULDER REPLACEMENT -- number 2
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »
Good luck on your surgery Ron.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2018, 03:35:27 PM »
Good luck tomorrow. Keep us posted

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2018, 06:32:37 PM »
I was talking to a person today that had a shoulder replacement a year ago and they said to be sure and get a cooling unit that fits over the shoulder and circulates cold water to help with the pain. Any one know what that's called?
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2018, 06:55:55 PM »
Ron: It is called an Ice Man machine, and it is terrific. You will probably wake up in the recovery room with one already on your shoulder and working, because they are now pretty much standard procedure. Basically it is a pad that fits around your shoulder that has channels built into it in which ice water is circulated. There is a receptacle that holds ice and water, a pump, a tube that leads to the pad, and the shoulder pad. You can use it all the time, basically 24 hours a day. It cools the shoulder very well without the risk of over cooling you would have with ice bags. It really helps with pain.

Good luck tomorrow. Let me hear how you are doing whenever you can.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2018, 09:25:54 PM »
Good luck today Ron!!!!  🙏🙏. Does the surgeon use a Shrew blade??
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:11:32 AM by Ray Lyon »
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2018, 09:53:20 AM »
On Monday I will be 15 weeks post surgery. That's just over 100 days. My shoulder still gets very sore, and I apply ice on most days. I have exercised each and every day since the surgery. At first it was several times a day and just pendulum swings, later passive motion, then intentional movement, and recently strength work. The strength work has been limited to once a day per doctor's orders.

Well, this morning I picked up my smoothest hunting-weight bow. It is a 62 inch Centaur Chimera, 43# at 29" -- and here is the result of one, and only one, shot. I will continue to take one shot per day for a few weeks, and then move up to multiple shots. Being careful to not over do things is important at this point in the recovery.

Hard to see due to the black on black, but the shot hit in the black at 4 o'clock about an inch from dead center.

Ron and John: You can do this. It is hard and often painful, but you can get it done.

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »
That’s what I’m talking about right there Joe. 3:10pm today got my follow up appointment with my surgeon. I’m lucky as he is an aggressive Dr. and hope he gets me doing some kind of assisted movement exercise. Doing what pt gave me to do so far. Happy to see you getting one shot a day in. Keep it going buddy! Thanks John

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2018, 11:21:31 AM »
 :clapper: Gear to hear Joe. That surgery had to be brutal. I have had both of my shoulders operated on , not replaced. And the recovery was " not fun ". Keep up the good work.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2018, 08:16:26 AM »
I have now moved on to taking multiple shots with a hunting weight bow (43# at 29" souped-up Centaur - a pretty fast bow). I have taken a dozen shots so far this morning, not all at once. I take a shot or two, sit down drink some coffee, repeat, etc.

So far so good. I am finding it hard to concentrate on subsequent shots when I take more than one at a time. I suspect that sustained concentration will return with more time.

I have pretty good strength and comfort in taking the shots. I still have a long way to go, but I am very thankful for how things have been so far.

I still do rehab exercises and apply ice every day, and I expect to be doing that for a long time.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2018, 09:00:40 AM »
Are you still using the "Ice Buddy" on your shoulder?

My first night home last night in my own bed was great' I slept like a baby. Hospitals and rehab centers don't spend a lot of money on beds, just a bit better than sleeping on the floor.  I havent had anything for pain for two days and no ice on the shoulder for a week.

Thanks Joe for all of your advice and running account on this thread, it's been very helpful in knowing what to expect.  :notworthy:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2018, 09:09:57 AM »
Ron:
I used the ice machine for about two weeks. Now I use ice packs, they are colder and faster, so I am done icing in about 15-20 minutes. The cold from the ice forces new blood and nutrients into the tissues, and that's important for both the healing and strengthening phases of the process.

It sounds like your experience has been very good so far. I was in a pretty fair amount of pain for a couple of weeks after the surgery, and the first week was a very "impressive" pain level. And, I could not lie down in a bed for two weeks due to the way being in a bed increased the pain level. I had to sleep in an easy chair.

From your description, it sounds like you are going to be ahead of my schedule, and that is great.

Do they have you doing any passive range of motion exercises yet?

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2018, 10:19:59 AM »
Rehab had me doing hanging arm swings. I think when I see the Surgeon on Monday  he might have me doing somthing else

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2018, 06:33:11 PM »
Keep up with your rehab.  The hogs will be waiting for you at the Paradise this spring...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2018, 08:41:36 AM »
Will do, Jeff. Really looking forward to it.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2018, 10:48:49 AM »
How long after surgery before you could drive?

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2018, 11:05:10 AM »
I had to drive at two weeks, but it was strictly one-handed. At 4 weeks I could raise my hand enough to put it on the steering wheel, but I would say that I was still driving one-handed for a while because I really could not apply any strength with my surgery-side arm.

I had to go back to work at three weeks, so driving one-handed was necessary to get to work.

Yes, I know I am old enough to retire (and then some) but I am still m making good money so I am delaying retirement a little bit longer.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »
Sounds like we’re getting along pretty good guys I also was driving one handed and now can help on the lower part of the steering wheel. Unfortunately I can’t return to work until my surgeon lifts my restrictions because I’m lifting up to 30lbs numerous times a day. Did get 2 trail cameras hung this morning which felt good for my mental part of this journey. Good luck guys,John

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2018, 06:33:35 PM »
X-ray taken today at the doctors office

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2018, 10:31:25 AM »
Ron: Your x-ray shows that the shoulder device you have is a "reverse total shoulder" in which the ball is now where the socket used to be and vice versa. Mine is the "standard total shoulder" with the ball on the top of the arm bone and the plastic socket attached to the scapula. It is going to be interesting to compare your recovery to mine based on the use of two different surgical implants. Maybe your recovery will be faster, or perhaps you will be stronger when fully recovered. No matter what, it will be an interesting comparison.

Do your exercises as ordered. I wish you well and hope to get updates as you progress.

My update is that now I am shooting a handful of arrows every day with no discomfort, just a bit of fatigue. I'll start tuning some new hunting arrows this month.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2018, 10:09:34 PM »
My buddy Tim told me the same thing. the surgeon didn't explain what he was going to do or why, ticks me off, it's my body and I should have been told my options.

Anyway, 14 days post surgery and I drove my truck today. No sling with my hand resting on the wheel. After several stops I ended up at Wall-Mart to get some groceries. Put the sling on later to give the arm a rest. A good day I'm thinkin.  :goldtooth:

Check this out
http://www.bone-joint.net/reverse_total_shoulder_replacement.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjMj34q-E3AIVhLXACh1IwwksEAAYASAAEgLiMPD_BwE
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:20:56 PM by Ron LaClair »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©