3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Killdeer in the Wood  (Read 15573 times)

Offline Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
Killdeer in the Wood
« on: November 09, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Hey, y'all;

Well, here's another deer season come in the Old Dominion; and as usual, Kathy is up in them thar hills, startin' off with bowhunting.

Now, I'll be the first one to admit that I've been remiss in my reporting; but every coin has two sides, and the other side of this'n is that there ain't so much to report. But those of you as knows Killy would probably be interested in what little I've got, so here goes:

We got away late last Saturday. It took longer to find and organize and pack than we had anticipated, and then there was the matter of getting last-minute perishables to go in the coolerator, gas for the vehicles, traffic, etc.; and Kathy and I also paid a brief visit to her father and stepmother on the way out, with family treasures she'd gotten just recently from relatives in PA. There was other stuff, but I won't bore you. Bottom line is that it was getting dark as we approached the general region where we camp. We had been up past midnight Friday into Saturday, getting ready. To add to it, I hadn't slept well, and come sundown Saturday in the Alleghenys, I was dog tired. So Kathy accommodated me, and we stopped in Seneca Rocks, West Virginia for the night.

There's an establishment there called 'Yokum's Vacationland', and we recommend it to anybody looking for accommodations in the area. Carl and Shirley Yokum have been married for 69 years this past October; Shirley still runs the reservations and the restaurant, and Carl still does the maintenance. He's a 91 year-old cancer survivor, and she's 87, and has come through a brain tumor and blood clots, and other stuff. They're survivors of the highest order, and we love and admire them.

Sunday morning, we went ahead to the campsite and set up. There were some problems, but we solved 'em, and by late afternoon, the basics were in place. Tent was up, cook shack was up, and we had lanterns, heat, food and water, and a place for Killy to sleep. As the shadows got long, I headed back for the flatlands.

Kathy called me late Monday afternoon. You have to come down off the mountain to use the phone. She was halfway checking on me to see that I'd gotten home alright, and halfway giving me a scouting report. She'd seen no deer and no sign. Pretty bleak. She gave me a 'shopping list' for my next trip, of a few items we had forgotten to bring up, and that's really about it. No word since Monday.

This isn't any real cause for concern. Down near the end of our phone conversation, she was getting antsy to get back up on the mountain. She wanted to get ready for the next day's hunt, and she had gone up there to be in the woods, not yak on the phone.

So there it is. I take the lack of communication as that she's dug in to do some serious hunting while bow season is still in. With so little to go on as there is up there this year, a person has to hunt hard to have any hope of results, so I expect that's what she's doing. NOAA says a weather front has just moved through the area today, and that often stirs the critters up. Tomorow is the last day of bow season up there, and I figure she's going to be all business.

I'm going back up tomorrow (Sat.) for the weekend. More on Tuesday or Wednesday, when I get back home. Say 'thanks' to a veteran this Sunday.

Regards to all,   C.
When the oak is felled the whole forest echoes with its fall, but a hundred acorns are sown in silence by an unnoticed breeze. -Thomas Carlyle, historian and essayist (1795-1881)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Killdeer in the Wood
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
Have fun Killy and bring us back some stories and pics

Thanks for the update C.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the report. Look forward to Kathy sharing her hunt with us all when she gets back as only she can   :bigsmyl:    :campfire:    :coffee:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
Pulling for her to have a great hunt regardless of the outcome.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
yeah have fun killie. dont get lost now  :campfire:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
My girl is heading out in the rain in the morning.
She saw two shooters tonight, "drop time" and a "beautiful deer". Let's hope I'm dragging in the morning...

I hope Killy has a great and safe day tomorrow.

Offline Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 06:35:00 AM »
On my way out today, prob'ly around 12:30 so's not to get there in the dark. If she's out, I'll wait until about an hour after last light to start worrying. But given that everything's ok and I don't have to call out the Marines (Bernie, you're the NCOIC), I'll have another report come Tuesday.

I appreciate the comebacks.

Jeff, she's never lost; it's just that from time to time, she doesn't know exactly where she is...  :p
When the oak is felled the whole forest echoes with its fall, but a hundred acorns are sown in silence by an unnoticed breeze. -Thomas Carlyle, historian and essayist (1795-1881)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 06:46:00 AM »
My best wishes to Killie, as always, for a great time on her annual "Rejuvination Hunt/Camp-out". Also thank you, Clark for keeping us updated.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
I wish her luck as well. She has clean Karma, The Deer Gods should bless her.

:)
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
For sure, for sure, Calvin!
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
May The Great Spirit Guide My Sister's Arrows
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
I hope Killie has a safe and enjoyable time in the mountains.
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
Git R Done Killy.  :thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
heres wishing ya luck Killy!!! i'm sure just time spent in the woods is luck enough.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
Clark, Enjoy your peace and quiet while it lasts.
Hope Illy kills a biggin... A real big um 5 miles down hill from camp.  :archer:
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
Hope ya get one, Killy!
Pinecone

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
knowing Killie for the short time we got to hang out on the Rough Mountain hunt, she is having a ball.

good luck girl looking forward to the stories when you break camp.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
Killy,
I have a feeling that this will be a very special hunt for you. Can't wait to hear your story.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
I just wrote an update, clicked on the wrong button on the screen, and wiped it all out.  :banghead:   Too tired and too busy to reconstruct it just now, but I promised an update today. So without the embellishments:

Killy and camp are in good shape. She saw deer, and what might've been a small young deer or a coyote, but couldn't get a good look before it disappeared. Had a little snow, but it warmed up and was melted / rained away.

I'll try to reconstruct the full version tomorrow.

Best to all,   C.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
cant wait to hear this.  :campfire:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©