3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Killdeer in the Wood  (Read 15588 times)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Killdeer in the Wood
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
Tea with honey?  "[dntthnk]"  

1 bag Bigelow Lemon Lift
1 bag of Bigelow Constant comment steeped in a large insulated mug.

Small handful of froofy organic evaporated cane juice sugar
Generous dose of Canadian blended whiskey

That's the stuff for a long winter evening! Thank the gods, the hourglass is gone! Must be the work of the toddy, bless its warm little mug. And it's now bedtime. Long day, stressful, hazardous commute both ways, and tough delivery in the snow. I passed seven wrecks between the Beltway and Dulles this morning, and those were just on  my side  of the Dulles Toll Road.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
Sleep tight Kathy!!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Tip o the hat to our tireless servants who deliver our mail in our "taken forgranted society"!

Be safe out there woman...that new rig is too cute to bash up!

Well...so are you and MOckinbird!  
 :eek:    :rolleyes:    :knothead:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
OK, Doc - now you've gone toooo far - not about the "tireless servants" thing, or staying safe - but in calling Killie "Cute" ! She'll "cute" you, ol' buddy.

LOOK OUT! INCOMING!

(Well, maybe she won't seeing as how I said she will - she  is  "a contrary", you know. Well I've done the best I can to save you - now I'm takin' cover - you suit yourself.   ;)  )
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
He didn't call me cute. He called my rig cute. Now, did he mean my truck, or my mail truck, or the mail truck that the post office assigned to my route? I gotta admit that my personal LLV is cute. And it runs better than the one they assigned me. But my Tundra takes umbrage at the term. Me and the Tundra don't do cute.  :saywhat:  

Ambiguosity is Doc's stock in trade. I will just have to waller him on general principles next opportunity I get. Meantime, I intend to get more than five hours of sleep tonight.

Kil....zarkkkkk*
Oh, thanks, Doc.  :)

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Uh-huh, see, Doc? (My work is done here -   :D  )

:goldtooth:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
Bernie, first time I met Clark, I made some comment that since has become standard fare...I think it was callin out, "OH, Killy Dear"

Clarks eyes flew wide open, he got that ole Hooty Owl look and ducked and ran for cover... looking back over his shoulder!    :bigsmyl:  

My dear friend fixed me with that look a hers that would weld a freight train fast to the rr tracks and just glowered.

I like er way too much to fret her wallerins! While ain't no doubt she could get the job done... I just don't fret it.   :)  

Oh, btw, Killy, my add-on was that you and CLARK both are too cute to get bunged up... but I was initially referrin  to that mail rig you resurrected an posted pics of once.
   :help:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2007, 07:34:00 AM »
I am bringing extra onions for B-more.

:goldtooth:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
I likes un-gins - iff'n they ain't fer throwin'at  :eek:    ;)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »
They give Doc hives.  :D

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: December 08, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
So, anyway, I was sitting there on the log, tucked between these spruces, in a state of impure optimism, waiting for the deer to become temporarily deranged, sufficient to encourage acts of sheer stupidity. All was still, a gentle breeze blowing from my left front and coursing to my right and behind me. I finally felt welcomed into a productive place. Two squirrels came out to feed about fifty yards away to my right. I leaned against the dead trunk behind me and savored the solitude.

Nudge nudge.

Nudge nudge.

Nudgenudgenudgenudge.
NUDGE. Back pocket.
I skooched my butt right and looked down to my left, to see a bugeyed vole do the "oh spit!" shuffle and scuttle down the log the other way. I watched him turn gray in a moment.

It got darker, and the squirrels kept feeding, and I fell prey to their allure. Skulking slowly toward them, the distance closed as they fed unaware. The leaves rustled as they rummaged and I could smell red oak acorns on their breath. Oooh, this was gonna be good!

One of them yawned, which made the other one yawn, and they both meandered to the home tree, holding hands. Climbing up to the porch, they sat and talked for a while, had a glass of red oak wine, and razzed me before going inside. Squirrels 2, Killdeer 0. I wandered the trail back toward the road.

Reaching my truck, I found a truck-camper parked alongside. A man came out and introduced himself, someone who had been hunting this place for years. He put into words what I have felt for a long time: That even if the game populations are down, and even if he cannot logically expect to bring the venison or his beloved turkeys to bag, that he will still come here. It is a special place. It is where he goes.

We talked as the darkness settled solidly around us, and the chill grew, of coyotes and the bear and coonhounds, the years past and the changes we'd seen. I bid him good hunting, and left for camp. Tomorrow was Friday, the ninth of November, and the last day of purely archery season.

That night, a car came into camp, turned right around and left. Then the hounds sang through the hills and hollows, intent on their canine mission, tracing their way through the maze of scents and knowing far more than any man what had been where, and when. All went quiet.

I awoke, and two men came down through the brush, from the hill behind the outhouse, lamps flashing, West Virginia voices laughing and talking of the hunt. They walked up the road out of camp. Five minutes later, a lone, high voice called plaintively, following their path.

I drifted off, dreaming of shadows coursing through the forest.

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »
Good job of enjoying, Killie!

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
OK, I have to admit it. I told a lie. I realize that this admission will likely destroy my credibility, and reveal that I have betrayed the trust of each and every one of you, my friends. I can no longer live with the deception, however, and so I must confess the lie.

The squirrels were not holding hands. There, I said it. I humbly beg your forgiveness.

OK, the truth:
Friday morning found me making preparations for the muzzleloader season, which started Saturday the tenth. I laid a trail back into the piney woods that even Ray Charles could follow in the predawn gloam, in preparation for doe day. Doe day would be on Monday, and I wanted to be close to where they typically went to avoid trail walkers and ridge-sitters.

It was snowing, and the woods were filled with the soft hiss of snow on beech, red oak and laurel leaves. My preparations complete, I contemplated where to go next. I hadn't seen Mac's Ridge yet, nor the PeeWee stand, but I decided to go back up to Buck Knob, to see what changes might have been wrought during the week.

Plenty. There were more rubs and feeding scrapes. I went as far as the second saddle, where I found a sizeable scrape and rub. The scrape had been opened in the early hours of the morning, or possibly last night. The snow was beginning to obscure it, but slowly, due to the relatively high temps of the day.

I sat some, blew a shot setup on a gray squirrel. Never dropped the string. He had come down a tree on the other side of the trail and on up the hillside toward me. He passed on my right of course, and so I tried to pivot into position. He took exception to that and ran off a little way to cogitate. His significant other watched thoughtfully from a fallen log near their tree. I finally made ready to leave, and they scampered back up into their snug, leaf-lined hole. I poked around and made a place to sit at the base of a tree in a transition area, near a smaller rub. Satisfied that I had a place to sit in the morning, I started back toward camp. I wasn't sure if Clark would be up tonight or tomorrow, and I needed to fill the larger mattress instead of the small one that I had been using.

The wind, blowing the snow sideways, had coated the windward side of all the trees. I slowpoked along, enjoying its eerie effect on the mountain. The white of the snow against the muted grays of the the bark of the trees had given the impression of a fully moonlit night. Overcast skies and a light mist rendered the scene rather monochromatic. The result was a strange, unworldly, nocturnal landscape. I savored the strangeness. As I rounded the corner of the Knob, on the middle of the hillside, another surreal thing happened.

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: December 09, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
:wavey:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: December 09, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
As if captured and played in time-lapse photography, four magnificently huge white magnolia flowers bloomed together on the hillside to my left and ahead of me, about fifty yards away. As they reached full flower, they were abruptly yanked in three different directions, and flew from each other as though jerked by strings.

The three fawns went in two directions up the hillside, flowers fading as the distance increased and the danger diminished. The wise old doe,a long-nosed veteran,flew across the jeep trail in front of me and down the hillside to my right. She seemed to be gliding on oiled feet and limbs, making hardly a sound save the occasional ticking of a hoof on rocks in the thin, rich loam, and the deep, low grumbling of shifting wet dirt. She ran with great, practiced abandon, keeping my attention from her brood. They all disappeared, and the only tangible clue that I had not dreamed this was one small fawn, safely out of sight, blowing and blowing like a five-year-old with a new penny whistle.

I laughed and walked on, alert to new possibilities that never materialized. In my mind is fixed the wise and knowing eye of that old doe, fixed on me. I probably watched her as a fawn, the fawn of a fawn of an old white-faced, swaybacked doe that I remember patterning in my early years here.Every afternon I would see her there on that hillside, until doe day. You never saw her on doe day. She is long to the soil, that old girl, but lives on, eternal, maternal deer.

It warmed just before dark, and I sat in front of the cook shack enjoying it. At dark, the rain started, and at ten PM, the ticking on the tent told me of the ice. It quieted into snow, and I knew that the deer would feed very early in the morning, once it stopped. Hmm. it would stop, right?

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: December 10, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Dang, girl..this is mesmerizing to read... ya got magic in yer keyboard Ms.Killy.  :)

As fer hives...oh, trust me, it's waaayyy worse than that... but bring em if ya gotta! I just go hide!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: December 10, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Dang that looks cold!!!  :eek:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
I like the looks of that a lot better than the freezing rain we're getting now.

Killy, you definately have a way with words.

Dennis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©