3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Killdeer in the Wood  (Read 15572 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Killdeer in the Wood
« Reply #220 on: December 16, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
ok, ok, i drink a lot of coffee myself but tick tock, tick tock........    :bigsmyl:          :campfire:
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: December 16, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
:coffee:     :coffee:    :D

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: December 16, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
It would not be logical of me to be LOOKING for this fellow, he is one that you see, and then don't expect to see again. He's a real squirrel, of ordinary proportions, with ordinary gray hair, but his tail sets him apart from all the others.

Which website is this...oh yeah. OK, we're set.

I caught a flicker of movement, a slice of white in the darkening hollow. And there he was, a fella I had met two seasons ago while sitting at PeeWee. I had seen him again last year, in roughly this same place, or a hundred yards down the bowl, I forget.

He approached, head down, moving in jerky little starts with sidelong, wary glances, down the trunk of the big red oak. Safely to the bottom, he took a look around and deemed it secure. He scratched. The white tip of his fox tail flashed broadly as he turned and looked upward at his partner 30 feet above him. An extraordinarily ordinary gray squirrel peered over her limb, swung below it and started down to join her mate.

PeeWee, about 400 to 500 yards away, as the raven flies, is where I had first seen this rat, with his tail painted white for about 25% at its tip. PeeWee is a cluster of trees where I have sat and killed many deer. I was hoping to do that very thing when this collie-tailed squirrel showed up in 2005. I had wanted to kill him then, but I was deer hunting, and left him be. He was unusual, anyway, and I couldn't be sure that I wouldn't muff the shot, just to be safe from doing some unperceived wrong.

So, here he was again, at least two and a half years old, still happily married, and heading off for some groceries or housewares before it got too dark and the owls came out. I am glad now that I hadn't killed him, he has become a welcoming presence, a beacon, if you will, in this place. I  am  torn, though, each time I see him. Now I start to wonder, how long does a squirrel live? Will I see him next year? Or never again? If I never see him again, I will be wishing I had that tail to remember him by. Not that I will ever forget.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: December 16, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
That just warms the heart right there.  :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: December 16, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
i agree with ya Kramer, now tell us a bit more Jerry!!!!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: December 16, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Tuesday was wasted doing my wash and wax. I explained, as I sat in the coin-op with a local man, "I got people coming into camp...figured I otta shower." That got a chuckle, which is one of the things that make my day. He had twisted his ankle, so I helped him shift stuff from machine to machine. He bought me a slice of pumpkin pie, which made me the winner in that deal. Pumpkin is my favorite!

So, wet-haired, I returned to camp in the rain. It has been a cold camp so far, because of the burn ban because of the drought. West Virginia lifted their ban, what with the snow and all the rain, but Virginia is just plain stubborn. Or maybe we haven't gotten precip in some spots. I spent time in the cookshack in front of the pregnant lady, drying my hair and the bath towels. I also started a very good book, Edwin Way Teale's book on J. Henri Fabre's book on insects. Mostly dry, I zippered my way out of the cookshack and into the tent, lighted the lantern and read way into the night.

The next morning, it was still raining. About mid-morning it toned down into a foggy drizzle. Cool! I went to the truck and grabbed the K-Mag. The handle was white. Just moisture in the wax, but enough to make me rethink taking it for this day's hunt. Damn.

I unlimbered the Dakota, and shot a couple broadheads. No good. I adjusted the brace, tested different nocking points. Then it started to really rain again. Oy. While it rained, I tied on the nocking points. The rain let up, and I tried the bow again, and it shaped up nicely. Good to go!

I went up the logging skid to the Shelter Ridge to stillhunt. The rain had let up but the fog was really thick. Other than some beans, there was no sign of deer here. They must be eating a lot of  leaves, for there are almost NO places that they have pawed. What pawings there are are very small, like a half-hearted dig in passing. No rubs, no scrapes.

This was SO wrong. This ridge used to get well-used by this time of year. Not now. I was very surprised at the lack of rubs, though they have been declining slowly and steadily over the years. But none?

Most of the beans were over at the Squirrel Cage, a place that I have never figured a strategy for. It is the junction of the shelter ridge and a saddle ridge that runs to Buck Knob. The wind is the squirreliest thing about the Cage. While I was there, I fell prey to the beauty of the spot, and my bow, and took pictures.  :)  

The witch hazel was blooming gaily along the ridgetop. I always feel lucky when I see that. Often, I hang scent rags in it, letting the breezes carry the scent of attractive does down the hillside to passing bucks.

Rain came and went, came and went. I meandered down to Clyde's Point, where I took my first deer in 1988. Clyde, a year and a half old buck, had spikes a half inch long. I looked and looked, I thought he had a leaf stuck on his head. No, there was a matching leaf on the other side, so I shot him. Only deer I ever shot out of a tree stand. These are the trees, and boards from the stand are in between their trunks at the base. More of them are still up where they were.

Pictures were all I harvested that day, lovely as it was. Perhaps it was because of a certain entity, skulking about in the shadows. I would look around and see nothing, but I knew it was there. Finally, I set my eyes on wide angle and spun around. There it was, behind me, frozen stock still, trying to remain unseen. Its camouflage was nearly perfect. Taking advantage of its trust in camo and no movement, I snapped a quick pic before it vanished.

I decided to go back to camp.
Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: December 16, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
holy cow i thought Jabba the hut was only alive in the Star Wars movie but there he is in your woods!
 You have a way with the camera as you do with the pen, what a great thread!

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: December 17, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
OK, I have my favorite beverage, and a can of mixed nuts, carry on!!  :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: December 17, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
OK let me ask ... Killy what are the specs on that pretty Dakota of yours?

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: December 17, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Pretty bow and that shot with the fungi was great!

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: December 17, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
Ms. Killdeer, you are truly The Greatest! Everyday I look forward to reading the latest chapter of "Killdeer In The Wood". Like Dano said, please carry on.   :thumbsup:
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: December 18, 2007, 05:29:00 AM »
Tom, the bow is 45#@28", but I only pull 26.5 or 27". It is 58" long. Taking it into the woods makes me feel like this!

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: December 18, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »
Love, "The Spirit of Spirit", Killie    :thumbsup:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NEW GUY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: December 19, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
Just lettin you know I'm still checkin in.  Good stuff.
"Good Judgement comes from experience, and alot of that comes from Bad Judgement."

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: December 19, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
Thanks! I've been running full-out, and not getting any of MY stuff done. Spent from 5:30 to 7:50 at the Fedex place waiting for my carrier to get back in from his route so I could pick up the parcels. It was my Christmas present from my dear husband, who was farking around on the computer when I got home.

Ooooh.  :mad:  
Killdeer~got more pics, but very little time.  :(

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: December 19, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
"farking" ??? couldn't find that one in the dictionary  :rolleyes:

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: December 19, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Wrong dictionary, Dano -   :D
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: December 19, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
farking: to fark, in the act of farkulation, farkulatory, farkulation station (n., computer), bifarkated, infarct...no, that's a whole 'nother thing.
Got it, Dano?

So, I came on in to camp, went down the road and called Clark. Duffy would be in tomorrow, the 15th, a Thursday. This was good, Thursday being the regular day for the weekly meeting of the Chagrined Again Hunting Club. Also, our long lost and greatly missed member, ApplePie was supposed to show up as well.

Back at camp, I slogged across the squishy ground and dripped my way into the tent. Lighting a lantern and getting the heater going began the change from cold, clammy and damp to dry and cheerful. I started shedding layers, finally getting my boots off and wet socks replaced with shearling slippers. Ahhhhh. I started to lay the socks over the little web thingie at the top of the tent where I dry such things, but felt something cold clammy and heavy on the back of my hand, where I should be feeling only warm air. A bubble of roof was pressing down into the little space that should be empty, and it was full of water. I ran my fist up into it, an the water ran down the walls outside. Looking around, it was plain damp in there, with some streaking on the walls. The mattress, which gets the bedroll rolled from it every morning, was still damp from last night's condensation.

I lit another lantern, opened all the vents, and cranked the heater up to its second (and last) notch. I sat on the floor and read Teale's book late into the night, until the tent was dry and the mattress ready for the wool blanket and then the sleeping bag, my beloved sheepskins and a weary me. The wind was picking up, and change was in the air.

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: December 19, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Been working 12 hour days here lately, just checking my fav sites before flying up to roost and had to check this thread JUST to see if Killy had posted.  Head under wing and calling it a good day! Thanks!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: December 19, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
wow this is getting good killie keep it comming.  :campfire:    :campfire:    :coffee:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©