3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Killdeer in the Wood  (Read 15585 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Killdeer in the Wood
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
Hang in there Killie your grounds will revert to good again.I hunted my old stomping grounds this year for the first time in about 5 years after being run out by logging and slobs.This year the land was devoid of hunters and chock full of deer and turkey.The conditions you speak of will run the poachers and baiters out of there before long and then things will return to normal if thats ok with Momma Nature.

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
ttt

There must be more to this story...

BillJ
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
There is, but I am back to work, and I have a meeting tonight. Sorry.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
aw come on killie please good to see ya back. we missed ya  :campfire:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
We'll forgive you, if you feel you  must indulge in that (ugh-shiver) work and meetings stuff - but they are only allowed to have certain amounts of your valuable time - and that's only because we know you must now re-build time off (and money) again for next year's sojourne -   ;)  

Of course I could post that one picture here that you sent me (if you were to "release" it/me), to show how tiring the trip was on you, and thus generate more "patience/sympathy" for the condition your condition is in -  :biglaugh:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JWD in VA.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Ms. Kathryn, welcome back. As all, lookin forward to the tale behind the weeks adventure. Got an e-mail from our mutual friend Pete out west. All is well in his world also. Highland Co. was good to me this year, similar results but, the get away, was a good one.
Jerry

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
Killie, Great to have you back.  Your stories are more like watching a vivid movie than just reading them.  Thought you might like to see another Ed Wentzler napped point.  This was last years TXS07 signed arrow...Doc

Oops I'll get a closeup of the head for you!

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
Hey Jerry, didn't know you knew Pete. Haven't heard from him in a coon's age. Here he is in days past.

It took us three three hours to pull that buck into camp. Both of those boys had their aches and pains, but dropped all to help a gal out. As I recall, Pete had just settled into a nice cup of tea, and unlucky Shawn had bumbled into camp to say howdy. Poor, poor saps!

Friends like that, even though they have gone their own ways, live forever in our hearts. I paid Pete back a little, helping him find, haul back and butcher the first deer he shot with a bow in Highland. Them was the days!

Oops. More nostalgia. Sorry.

Doc, thanks for the pics! I dunno how much Ed realizes what he did for me, how much it meant to me. I bought all the heads he brought to Baltimore in the years that followed, the ones that looked like good hunting heads. I may have one left, besides the one on the broken arrow that took Ashly, but gave away most of them, on their ash shafts, as mementos.

Not Mentos.  "[dntthnk]"  
Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
Well, tell us more...memories.   :wavey:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
Carry on girlfriend, great story tellin. You know me, I'm easy, please take your time.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2007, 06:16:00 AM »
:campfire:    :archer:    :coffee:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »
What Whip said goes for me too.  This is like being there in some of my old favorite places.  Poignant and bittersweet in some cases but very entertaining.  Thanks for sharing.

pine nut

"Tarbaby, he don't say nuttin'. He jus' set thar on dat log."

Offline JWD in VA.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
Thanx for the pic Killie. Pete hasn't changed that much, alot more grey like all of us but still the wanderer. Now days he shoots animals with his camara and he is pretty good too.The Montana back-drop lends itself to some breathtaking shots. Will check back later tonite, some of us HAVE to work HAAAA!!!!Danny sent me an e-mail with some profound words " friends are like stars, you can;t always see them but you know they are there "

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
Killie - Is in your "camp" in PA? If so where?
It sounds an awful lot like my old stomping grounds in Sullivan and Wyoming county.

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
Killie sure can tell a good story.

Kathy, I'm still waiting for the signed first edition of "Book of Ambiguosities" or something like that,that you were going to write.   :campfire:      :campfire:      :coffee:
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
Never hunted in Pennsylvania, well, not since that first ever hunt. Actually, it was just more of an opportunity than a hunt. I was six or seven, and lived in Levittown. I had found a railroad spike in our yard. A cottontail appeared in my vicinity. I heard this rhyme in my head:

"Bye Baby Bunting
Daddy's gone a-hunting
To fetch a little rabbit skin
To wrap Bye Baby Bunting in."

I heaved the spike at the bunny. In the back of my mind was the knowledge that I would be in a world of hurt if I actually connected and slew the rabbit. My mom was real handy with a hairbrush.

I deliberately missed. I didn't know how to turn a skin into furs anyway.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Up on top of the ridge was an expanse of fresh-fallen leaves, untracked, uncompressed, unpromising. Not a bed, not a rub, not a scrape, not a single smart pill.

The fluorescent pink flagging tape turned out to be a malicious prevarication produced by a maple, still having flashbacks to the sixties. Having suckered me good, I heard it snickering in the rear-view as I headed toward Doe Police Knob. The Doe Police were at a convention or something, as they were not here. I headed in, as I needed to check in with Mockingbird, mostly to make sure that he had gotten home safely.

The rain started at dusk, and I sat in the vestibule reading, listening to the calming slap of fat sloppy raindrops spattering wetly on the nylon fly. Having gone through one of the driest summers that I can remember, the sound was a welcome balm to my parched soul. I always enjoy a good rain, but there is a particular satisfaction that comes from enjoying it in rude and rustic accommodations, when one is snug and dry inside as the world outside becomes soaked and sodden. Thunder rolls across the mountains, making my little shelter even more precious.

I go inside the main body of the tent. The headlamp is making my eyes cross on the page that I am reading, and I want to light a lantern and relax on the airbed with the book. Sitting flat-butt on the floor, I screw in a propane cylinder. There is a flash and a clap, a strike on the Shelter Ridge or close by. The ground shakes under me and I am frightened a bit. The thunder goes on and on and on. How fragile we are. How transient.
(Dopey me, the first brief coherent thought I had was that a transformer blew...  :rolleyes:  )

A guy came into camp yesterday, in a little jellybean car and carrying a GPS. Gaming, he said. His license read "NO GODS". I had chuckled and said to Clark, "He's never spent the night out here!"

He for sure never spent one of THESE nights out here!
There are trees everywhere, no matter where you set a tent, there are trees. There is one maple that is an old friend, but I worry about it on windy nights, as it must be over a hundred years old and is getting fairly well hollowed out.
It told me that it wanted to blow down in early spring, but we don't all get our wishes, do we?

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
"I always enjoy a good rain, but there is a particular satisfaction that comes from enjoying it in rude and rustic accommodations, when one is snug and dry inside as the world outside becomes soaked and sodden. Thunder rolls across the mountains, making my little shelter even more precious."

Killdeer, I think we are two people sharing one brain.  I thought I was the only one that had that feeling in those circumstances. Good to know there are at least two of us.  I feel relieved, but I'm not sure that you shouldn't be worried a bit about that.

Very entertaining writing, I envy your style.

pine nut

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
Killy you are by far and away the most gifted person with a way of words. your words take us there!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
Pine Nut, now when I do something blatantly stupid, I know what my excuse is! Somebody else was on the party mind (party line) and I couldn't use it until he was done...

:bigsmyl:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Dang!! Pine nut did she just call you stupid??  :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©