INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Daka rih' hon tye for Meathook  (Read 11331 times)

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daka rih' hon tye for Meathook
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2004, 08:56:00 PM »
Full moon out early tonight   :scared:  so back to work for me. We had finished the cresting and I had put another coat of glaze on the shaft to cover the writing and the cresting and further seal the shaft. Before doing this I very lightly rubbed it with 000 steel wool for adhesion purposes. Now on with the lesson. I spent considerable time trying to arrive a good combination of fletching. I plan to use Pope and Young style with some combination of yellow and orange. I tried two orange and yellow cock, two yellow and orange cock, two yellow barred and orange cock, and two yellow barred and orange barred cock. Finally I arived at something I was happy with. I actually constructed each with little short pieces of fletching tape. My grandad taught me the 6 P's years ago and I believe strongly in it. Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.. I apologize for the one term but it is the way my grandaddy taught it to me. Be happy to just call it P___ if the administration so desires. He we go............
" I always hunt with two other companions even though I mostly hunt alone - God and my dad."
God's love is like an ocean..one can see the beginning but not the end.

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2004, 09:28:00 PM »
I have decided to go with a Pope and Young style of fletching.      
I will use full length feathers that will be shaped by using a chopper. A chopper consists of and anvil bottom or flat steel surface and a cutting top portion.

You insert the feather and strike the top cutting bar with a rubber mallet cutting out the feather.

I use left wing feathers so I needed a left wing chopper. The only style of chopper that doesn't have a wing configuration is the banana because it is shaped the same way in either direction. If you look at the two turkey feathers shown the one on the left is a left wing feather and the one on the right is a right wing feather.

Notice the shapes are different. Either could be mounted straight but helical configuration is by which wing it comes from. I am using feathers from a left wing of a bird. I never try to get two fletchings from one feather and I cut it a few inches in from the heaviest portion of the quill.
" I always hunt with two other companions even though I mostly hunt alone - God and my dad."

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »
I am now going to put the feathers on the arrow shaft using a Blitzenburger fletching jig. There are many different types but I use either a Blitzenberger or a Jo Jan Jig especially if I am doing 6 at one time with glue. The Jig I am using will be for left helical feathers and using left wing quills.

You see the nock indexer has a letter L on it telling me it is for left wing. Also the allen screw you cannot see is turned in making this a 120 degree set up for three feathers at equal distances around the shaft.

The clamp has Left imprinted on it too for the same reason.

The jig has been set for left helical by twisting the chrome knobs after loosening the allen screw and the retightening. It may look in the photo that it is on R but there is a small arrow under the R indicating to move it in that direction.

This puts a twist in the arrows flight from the bow much like rifling in a gun barrel.

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2004, 10:01:00 PM »
To attatch the feathers one can use glue or tape.    
I like tape and will be using it here. It has no odor and I can do it with one jig, no drying time while watching TV. If using glue I suggest a glue bottle as you can control the amount of glue coming out better. The glues in the photo are Arrow Mate at 9 o'clock for carbons, aluminum or wood and works on gasket laquer too. Duco is very good for gasket laquer and putting on nocks, Fletchtite for laquer dipped finishes but not gasket laquer and tape. The tape is two sided and once set will destroy a feather removing it and I  have hunted for weeks in rain and never had one fail because of water.

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2004, 10:21:00 PM »
I will place the arrow shaft into the indexer and slide it upon the metal tab that acts like the string on a bow. I then make the flat portion with the letter L face me.          

This puts the cock feather in the proper position to be 90 degrees from the side plate on the arrow shelf. This feather will be an Orange barred in this project. On the clamp are small indicater lines in inches.

I will be using the half inch line as the type of feather I am using has much overhang whereby if I were using a parabolic shape I might just butt it to the flat notch.
Working with the feather in the clamp      

I apply the tape and then cut off the excess with scissors. Then press it tightly to the feather shaft by running your finger over the tape. Peel the covering and apply to shaft.

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2004, 10:35:00 PM »
put the heel of the clamp against the jig frame as shown

and allow the clamp to stick to the magnets in the backside. Then slide it down and press the feather vane to the shaft

and the tape will stick. Simply remove the clamp as shown. I run my fingernail down the side of the feather having the most shaft to press the tape tight to the shaft.

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2004, 10:43:00 PM »
You will turn the indexer to the next click and apply a hen feather the same way. Now you can see the twist the helical pattern applies.  

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2004, 10:56:00 PM »
Once all feathers are applied I add a drop of glue to front and back of feather. This anchors the feather and somewhat assure you will not drive a quill into your hand while shooting because it protrudes some.  

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2004, 10:57:00 PM »
Most excellent presentation Mr Mac.

When using fletch tape, to seat it I just put my thumb at the front of the feather and run it on top of the feather the full length. The feather will flatten out under your thumb but pop right up again (same as pulling it thru a target when it burys too deep).

That tape is some amazing stuff!

Usually one edge of the stiff quill will be sticking up (because the quill base is twisted fletched helical) and I'll take a razor blade and trim it off so as not to catch a quill in my hand before putting on a drop of glue or wrapping with thread.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2004, 10:59:00 PM »
Fletch tape rocks.  It is the best thing since sliced bread. I can't think of a single reason not to use it.   :thumbsup:
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2004, 11:01:00 PM »
by the way Mac your camera does a real nice job with the macro shots. Looking good.   :thumbsup:

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2004, 11:31:00 PM »

And here is what they will look like Meathook.    :D   Only there will be one dozen. Tomorrow points and broadheads with a sharpening lesson and maybe,    :rolleyes:    just maybe by Monday they will be packed and on their way. Plan to go out to Shawn's place for the next hunt. Fitting I take him something. He's probably drooling.   "[tunglaff]"    Well, let's see, I can make him a horse chestnut necklace, or a dried coon pecker zipper puller, I'll come up with something. Until tomorrow...Mac~

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2004, 11:35:00 PM »
Meat, it is a sony. has focus settings for macro, 1/2 meter, 1 meter, seven meters, and infinity. Does sound movies clips too. Neat but when I was at your place battery went dead. Found out it wouldn't recharge much..got a new battery now.

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2004, 11:38:00 PM »
Mickey, I apply it the same way. I only use my nail to squeeze the shaft of feather to the arrow shaft for a good glue joint.I strung it out in photo bacause I am taking all these shots and working too...Mac~

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2004, 11:59:00 PM »
looks good Mac~ an animal would be proud to be run through with one of those bad boys.

:)
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2004, 05:25:00 AM »
Mac this thread makes me want to do a set of wood arrows now! but i think ill pass on the "coon pecker zipper puller"  Dried or not!!!    :eek:
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2004, 06:14:00 AM »
Very well done!  :thumbsup:
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2004, 06:41:00 AM »
Nice job Mac,very nice  :thumbsup:  .I am heading up to Shawns place later this morning.He invited my dad and I up to hunt bunnies with him and his dad.Dads will hunt with shotguns,Shawn and I will take our bows.Looking forward to getting my old man out in the woods,its been a while since we were out together.It'll be cold,but we should have a blast!Hope to have some pics. to post later.
         Curt }------------------->
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Tom Lagatol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2004, 06:47:00 AM »
I was just about to note that you're up early this mornin Curt...but after reading the last post I understand why. Good Luck and Good Hunting!
TomL  :wavey:

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2004, 09:08:00 AM »
Mac those are suhweet.  I will be proud to fling them all over North Florida.    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©