INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Daka rih' hon tye for Meathook  (Read 11407 times)

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Daka rih' hon tye for Meathook
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2004, 09:31:00 AM »
Fine job there Mac!! Those hogs ain't got a chance.   :thumbsup:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2004, 10:28:00 AM »
Meat,
     Fling them all over Florida if ya like but these are "Silent Messangers of Death" so try to make one of the spots you fling them at a big piggy....Mac~
" I always hunt with two other companions even though I mostly hunt alone - God and my dad."
God's love is like an ocean..one can see the beginning but not the end.

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2004, 12:18:00 PM »
"Silent Messangers of Death"

holy crap that is strong. good mojo. "we will be stacking them up like cordwood my friend"

Pretty arrows, cant wait to see them fly. Meathook, those arras are the "berries"

and Mac~, where does the line up start for coon peckers, I want one.    :D
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »
Walkingstick,  Wow!!!  Thanks for the build-along, must have taken a lot of time to compose,  very nice!  I am a newbie at most of this stuff and your effort to "give something back" is much appreciated.  Thanks. Randy.

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »
That's the purpose Randy, to hedge-a-cate a newbie so you don't have to be wondering what something is or how it is done. Wil try to finish it this weekend.

Calvin, Hard to come by but the males wil be movin for breeding about now so if I see one along the road dead of course I get it for you if you really must have one. Great conversation piece on a jacket zipper. Folks will grab it and then ask ya what it is..Then you tell them.    "[tunglaff]"    
Mac~
" I always hunt with two other companions even though I mostly hunt alone - God and my dad."

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2004, 02:45:00 PM »
Nice pictorial,nice arrows made by an even nicer guy! I just don't know if meathook deserves such royal treatment  ;)  Don't worry meat there's no pressure really,just because Mac went to all this trouble to make these arrows up special.It'd be a shame to see em fly over the back of a pig or something  :knothead:  Better get to practicing....

Again nice job Mac.
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline Buckeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2004, 04:26:00 PM »
Like I have said before my friend, "once a teacher, always a teacher". Wish I could figure out how to put dang pictures in like that so I can do this with one of these sticks I am working on but as of yet...I have been unable to do it. I have followed every one of these "here's how ya do it posts that I have found. Guess you can explain it to me over the phone.

"EXCELLENT JOB BUDDY! I also will be interested in how these shafts perform.

B
...all to often technology is substituted for skill and knowledge, guess that is why I married a teacher and shoot stickbows!

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »
Brian, I just started doing it and it went all wrong, no pictures showed but our nosey administrators could not live without knowing what was under that little red X so they walked me right through it. Thank you guys for teaching me, now teach Brian...Mac~

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2004, 05:51:00 PM »
It would be kinda nice if this popped up in a search of "how to" so when it gets burried and a newbie looks to learn it,ll be right there.Again nice job and thanks for getting that package to me it arrived today.
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2004, 06:39:00 PM »
Now we have a dozen fletched arrows awaiting their points. One half will be field points and one half will be grizzly broadheads. Meat requested a 125 point so the small sized grizzlies but these shafts are coming in pretty heavy and will bust right through a pig if hit in the right area. We will use the following items:
Denatured alcohol, a brass rifle cleaning brush, hot glue sticks or ferrel tite, a dish or container, our points, an alcohol lamp, rag and a broadhead alighning tool. I will use a file and a butchers steel later to sharpen broadheads.

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2004, 06:44:00 PM »
I then take the wire brush and scrub or rough up the points on the inside for adhesion.

They are then dipped into a dish of denatured alcohol to remove any greases or oils that might remain from the manufacturing process.

They are removed from alcohol, blotted and allowed to evaporate or air dry.

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2004, 06:56:00 PM »
With the points cleaned I then lightly sand the arrow points. I then light my alcohol lamp and melt some ferrel tite and dab it onto the point or the arrow shaft.

I heat the point itself spinning it to heat evenly and as the glue starts to melt, I apply pressure and twist allowing a small amount of sprue to leak out between the arrow shaft and the point.

I use a cloth to twist and press on and the sprue will cool and harden. After it cools it can be easily popped off.

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2004, 09:00:00 PM »
The broadheads are no different when it comes to mounting them as far as the gluing process but they must be aligned as how one prefers the point to sit (horizontally or vertically..these are vertical) and a spinner is used to check that they are on the arrow straight.

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2004, 09:16:00 PM »
A close observation of the grizzly head shows striations on the bevel where the grinding wheel did its job.

Our job in sharpening them is to keep the angle of the bevel the same. I will apply file pressure agressively at first until the scratches are gone from the bevel. Look carefully and you can see some of the roll or the bevel but most of it is on the other side.

I sometimes blacken this out with a magic marker to see where the file is doing its work. I will file the beveled side from front to back and the file will move out over the bevel away from the furrel until I can feel a burr starting to form on the back side.

Once the roll or burred edge is felt the agressive sharpening ceases and the weight of the file is virtually all you use to roll the edge back and forth until you have a razor sharp edge.

keep the file flat to the back. I believe the one sided bevel of the grizzly is what makes this broadhead so awesome. Look over the inside of an animal you shoot. I have seen damage like I  never have seen with any other broadhead.

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2004, 09:23:00 PM »
For further affect I hone them with a butchers steel

and

you can shave yourself

BARE!!!!!!   :D

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2004, 09:46:00 PM »
And now the Silent Messengers are ready to do their work and yes Calvin, a lot of Good Karma or Mojo goes with them. If Meathook misses a pig with everyone of them and has a wonderful experience the fun for me    :confused:   has been worth it. The circle continues

They even look good in my Badger Skin Quiver with my Handle and my Driver on the strap. Can't have that though.  That was made special for me by Mt. Mike's wife Marty.

.... Don here are your goodies . Will get them in the mail with a few more surprises by Tuesday the latest. Will emial you they are on the way..Priority Mail.Have a wonderful time and I am sure we will have to hear about it too...Your friend.....Mac~

Offline leftybearfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2004, 09:55:00 PM »
Walkingstick.......Great thread and beautiful arras.  :help:
"It's easier to do the right thing, than to explain why you didn't."

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2004, 11:49:00 PM »
Very cool Mac. They look awesome.  Can't wait to shoot them.  Those grizzlies look ready to to go and the best part is I don't need to bring a razor on the trip.   :thumbsup:  

Thanks again I will do my best to send a message to some pigs while I am down there.
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Offline travisd.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2004, 11:35:00 AM »
WOW SWEEEEEET!!!!!  :thumbsup:
Travis D. Hearne

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2004, 04:16:00 PM »
TTT for clay.Enjoy it,s well done for novice to vetern