INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bamboo backed static build along  (Read 22853 times)

Offline Timo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo backed static build along
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2004, 06:43:00 PM »
JD, very well done sir!

My questions is, were do you set the end block? Do you have a mark on the side of the bow? Or is that one of those,"Oh about so far" things?   :D    :confused:
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2004, 06:52:00 PM »
David, the 18" center lam is nothing but a filler for thickening the handle area... it can be any wood with my measurements being 1.5"X18" and 1/4" thick all I do is taper from the center to the ends that way when its all said and done it will be feathered at the ends and around 3/16" at the center... clear as mud...

Brian your right not much limb movement on these bows, makes for a really fast shooter... gonna take it out of the hotbox around 7pm  it'll be one ugly sucker:)

JD

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2004, 06:56:00 PM »
woops sorry Tim we crossed in cyberspace... your right there is no mark but I like to get the post just forward of the sharpest bend in the recurve... you don't want it on the straight part of the limb or you'll get a flat spot instead of a slight curve just at the static

JD

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2004, 07:28:00 PM »
I hope we archive this one !! Darn it JD, just when I thought I would take a break from bowmaking you come up with this  ! You're killing me , son !   :D  

Just happens I know this feller with some osage slats, purpleheart, paudak, etc.LOL.

On the Urac, what's the open time on that stuff ? Plenty of time for clamping ? Also, would Resourcinal work too ?
 I found one of those alum yardsticks at work the other day, and the letterign was worn to the point where you couldn't read it. I knew it had a use somewhere.

You mention the slats are qtr sawn. Other cuts would work too ?

You da' man JD
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2004, 09:01:00 PM »
This is great JD...thanks for taking the time to put it on here.  

Mike

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »
Hi J.D.  I have been watching your build along..it is very interesting. Dina
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2004, 11:02:00 PM »
Ok I'm plum tuckered out... got the handle glued on and letting it dry, I need a break:)  I'll try and start the tillering in the next day or two... if you need a question asked and or just to shy you can e-mail me @ [email protected] I really enjoy this but its nerve racking:) below is page 5 of the link.

JD

http://groups.msn.com/Horseappleswebpage/bamboobackedstaticrecurve.msnw?Page=5

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2004, 04:19:00 AM »
Awesome JD!  I ordered a #49 rasp....when it gets here ill be ready to go! I look forward to meeting you guys and getting your advice!
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Stick & String

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2004, 09:17:00 AM »
JD, great photos and info., can't wait to see you tiller that baby!  When your all finished, maybe you would have time to give us some details on how to do that spiral type of handle wrap.

S&S
Stick & String

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2004, 09:44:00 AM »
Dale, I'd be more than happy to post a skifed handle build along, would be much easier than this one:)

JD

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2004, 10:35:00 AM »
Building bows is a lot easier than doing a build along eh JD? Setting up pics, making sure the pic tells the story, remembering to explain in enough detail, it takes like 3 times as long to build a bow when you are doing a build along!

... once one does a build along he REALLY appreciates when someone else does one.I appreciate you doing this one, that's for sure    :thumbsup:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Richard Saffold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »
"Oh that looks real nice"  :D

Offline farmerboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2004, 04:49:00 PM »
JD, how's the bow coming. everything looks good and looks like your almost done. keep up the good work even though you are tuckered out. you get to rest at work this week.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »
Anybody know what the radius of the bending jig is ?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Timo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2004, 10:08:00 PM »
"Fixin to",and "buttered up"! LOL

Love  the eloquent speech there J.D.!  :bigsmyl:
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2004, 10:16:00 PM »
Tim... not sure about the radius, but the angle is a tad past 90* The experience that I've had with Urac is that I can get about 6 months tops from first opening the can... clamping will depend on how warm you have your shop, if its around 80* you have about 20 minutes... 70* about 15 minutes  if your shop is cooler than 70* you can bring the material thats going to be glue into your house to let them warm up then take back out and start the glue up... i always get my liquid part of the Urac to in house temp.  Can answer your ? about resourcinal never used it... I've used clear, quarter and edge grain and see no difference in the finished bow, you just have to be more carefull on the quarter and edge the knots will go from side to side instead of belly to back... I glued up another recurve tonight but it was one of my working type curves.

JD

Offline Chris R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2004, 11:58:00 PM »
Beautiful work.  I've always wanted to try a curve, still don't know if I'm up to it.  :)  

Chris
DAN!(Defeat Autism Now!)

Offline WoodChips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2004, 01:19:00 AM »
This is really great stuff. Thanks for sharing this JD. Now you got me wanting to build one of these.   :thumbsup:
Brandon Byers

Offline rocdoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2004, 01:45:00 AM »
JD....just now got finished here on the rig.  See'n as it's almost 1:00am, I thought maybe I shouldn't come over.  I'll be by to see ya soon though!
"The crappy stuff makes you a better bowyer, but the good stuff makes better bows"....Ferret

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2004, 08:40:00 AM »
rocdoc...to bad for not showing up, could've had t-bones and baked potatoes:)

JD

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©