INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bamboo backed static build along  (Read 22854 times)

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo backed static build along
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2004, 08:45:00 AM »
One of the coolest build alongs yet. I love how ya get real precise with things like "seems to" and "hopefully"  
  "[tunglaff]"  

Ever run into any problems using a handle piece made from multiple lams? - such as several 1/8" lams of osage and walnut? These would have been glued up into a billet ahead of time, of course.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2004, 09:44:00 AM »
can you say DOH?

also not in the picture is that I don't add the end post until I've clamped down both middle post.
Last glue up after clamping down one midlimb I struggled away precious minutes trying to fight the other midlimb down...wish I woulda thought of this tip earlier....slide the end posts in after.....DOH!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2004, 11:48:00 AM »
JD, you mention using the "Dean " pattern. A lot of us have used that pattern and have it already. One question though. Obviously this recurve will have a lot less working limb. Do you stretch the pattern some or make it wider some ? My pattern is just shy of 1 and 3/4 wide at the fades. (I'd rather take some off as opposed to putting some back on if you catch my drift )

Also would other backings work here, such as hickory ? Might be a crapshoot on that one , heh ?

I have a friend that brought back some baleen from AK. He wants me to try it on a bow. This might be a good one to try on once I've built a few.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline rocdoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »
Damn JD!  I had tuna and crackers!  If you'd told me that earlier, I woulda shut the rig down and come to Ada!  ;-)
"The crappy stuff makes you a better bowyer, but the good stuff makes better bows"....Ferret

Offline John Sturtevant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2004, 01:26:00 PM »
JD, you better quit missing work then.  Hate to see to see you miss mojam, and we're hoping you bring your fart machine again.   :)  

Looking forward to watching you tiller the bow.

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2004, 01:45:00 PM »
John, my sons fart machine was a hoot:)  I forgot to mention and should've on the first page, that when you go to my website with the build along, under the view click on list view instead of grid view, it shows the printed caption at the side.
32* here with spitting snow.

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2004, 12:50:00 AM »
Hi JD....how are the bows coming along?  Dina
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2004, 01:02:00 AM »
Dina, your up late, your bow is sleeping in the house right now, temp. outside is around 20* got to trace out the outline of the handle on the boo and then shape the flares, I like getting the handle smoothed into the limbs before I start the tillering.

Tom about the multi-lam handle, I've done a couple and they turned out looking fine, instead of a glued up chunk of lams I glued each 1/8" together all at once, they bent just fine with the belly curve, hardest part was keeping all of em' from slipping while clamping them:)

JD

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2004, 12:27:00 PM »
I was up late...I worked late teaching and it took me a lil while to unwind.

I keep checking for new pics.    :)
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2004, 11:36:00 PM »
Wow!  Now this is a good build along!

Talk about pictures being worth a thousand words.  There's an entire how to book's worth of info condensed to a couple pages here and amazingly it's all pretty self explanatory.  Sure makes me wish I had about a grand to spend on power tools and a place to put them.  Really looking forward to the rest of the process.  You gonna show all the details of the finish work J.D.?  Like how to make them fancy overlays and the skived leather for the handle.

By the way, where in OK are you?  I'm flying back and forth between DFW and Kansas City every week and might end up driving sometime soon.  Gonna have to bring the truck back up to MO to reregister it.  Are you anywhere near I 35?  It'd be kinda fun to stop by if ya didn't mind.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2004, 12:11:00 AM »
Dina... should have some updated pic's as soon as tommorrow night, worked on 3 English longbows tonight low 20's but I had the stove blaring, just made sure I was about a foot away to keep warm:)

Dave, heck yeah I'm in it for the long haul now, got to show every little detail, its kindof hard when your not used to taking pic;s and writting down details, real easy to skip something and say hey, I better take a picture of this:)  Your more than welcome to stop in and visit as is anybody else thats ever around Southern OK.  check your map I'm about 30 miles east of I-35 in Ada,OK you can't miss the turn off, its at Pauls Valley, OK theres a sign saying E.C.U which is the colledge here in Ada... East Central University... give me a call next time your close.

JD

Offline Bogaman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2004, 06:43:00 AM »
JD, I've really enjoyed your build along. Have learned some new things. So, when will the video be coming out.8^)  Steve

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2004, 07:03:00 AM »
JD when is a good time for ya? I dont wanna get in the way but would love to see how it is done and i can bring along the BBO stave Sparky made me!

and Dina you lucky woman! I hope ya like the new bow!!!
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline farmerboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2004, 10:19:00 PM »
hey horseapple.....hows the bow coming along.

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2004, 11:16:00 PM »
Well guys, I had a helper tonight named rocdoc... he'll be the person taking all the pic's... I'm in the process of adding them to the site, just around 50 of em:) might be up late, but I can tell you its looking pretty sharp, I hope Dina likes it... I'll post the updated page when its ready... dang I'm tired, musta uhstrung the sucker 100 times

JD

Offline farmerboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2004, 11:45:00 PM »
JD,
what did you feed rocdoc, steak and potatoes.or did you feed him tuna and crackers. did yall get the bow done, ha ha.

Bryan

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2004, 11:48:00 PM »
JD...I am sure I will love it!!!!!!!!  Can't wait to see the pics!
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2004, 11:59:00 PM »
rocdoc ate before he got here... KFC for me, I really appreciated him coming down and visiting, I put him to work.  Haven't finished the tiller yet, 45#@22" three more inches to go:)I ran out of space on the msn webpage thats seems weird because ferret has hundreds of pictures any clue why guys... I also downsized each one before attaching them... says I can buy more space... help

JD

Offline rocdoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2004, 12:38:00 AM »
Dina.....I think you're gonna be well pleased with the bow.  I got JD straightened out on the tiller and it's coming along nicely ;-)

I think I'm gonna bring my sleeping bag next time JD....I could camp out there for 3 or 4 days and have you straightened out by the time I left.

All kiddin' aside....thanks for taking the time to show me a few things....wish I coulda stayed longer!

JD MAKES SOME BEAUTIFUL BOWS!!!!
"The crappy stuff makes you a better bowyer, but the good stuff makes better bows"....Ferret

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2004, 12:54:00 AM »
wow thats looking nice jd.  you make it look easy!  :D
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©