3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Iowa Hunting License  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Iowa Hunting License
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
 I only draw an Iowa tag every three years. The Iowa bowhunters are responsible for that!!!! GREEDY!
You know T short, it's those "greedy" hunters that are passing up small bucks, shooting tons of does, planting food plots, donating meat to HUSH programs, etc. that is allowing all those monster bucks to be possible for you to hunt every so often.
You blame the greedy hunters that do all the hard work, then you whine about the fees, time frame, or not being able to get a landowner tag if your a non resident that owns land.   :knothead:
Aside from the money, what do you do to help the deer herd?
No matter what type of bow is shot, we're all archers.

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
An older friend of mine said,
You will run out of land to hunt before you run out of game to hunt.
It's coming faster then  i thought!!!!
Ron

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
I only draw an Iowa tag every three years. The Iowa bowhunters are responsible for that!!!! GREEDY! They want us non-residents kept out, but they won't pay the land owners a trespass fee, so they whine about not being able to hunt.

The land owner feeds and protects the deer. Trespass fee hunting is a fact of life now. Land owners should be able to get tags that they can then give out or sell.

The over population of deer there now, because of the Iowa bowhunters in large part, is such that when you do apply for a buck tag, you must also apply for a doe tag.

Hopefully, the game commission there will tell the Iowa bowhunters where to stick it and start to manage properly. Politics SUCK and that is what is going on in Iowa...POLITICS!

I'll hear from some Iowa bowhunters on this post, FOR SURE!

Too Short
Paul,

I've always appreciated your bold personality, some of the products you put out and in general some of the things you've added to the bowhunting community.

But, I have to say I'm extremely dissappointed in your post.  There is much ignorance in it. I would suggest learning the issues in whole before attacking the IBA on a public forum.

Please come over to Iowawhitetail.com and into the Iowa Bowhunters Assn. forum there.  It is a more appropriate  forum for your concerns.  The folks over there will be very civil as they always are, even if you still resort to name calling.     ;)  

BTW anybody want a centerfold stand and a "Treestand Tactics" book, I'll sell cheap.   ;)
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
Shovelbuck....aside from the money, perhaps you should tell Paul what you do for the deer.

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
I think the states should be able to charge N/R's anything they want. It their deer, the Residents should have an advantage over N/R's they live there. This goes for all states. Commerce should not play a part in how wildlife is managed. Iowas bowhunters are standing up for Iowa bowhuters good for them,

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
OHHHH and when you come to visit, just title the thread "You're Greedy IBA".  That way we can gather enough folks for a healthy discussion.

See ya there!
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
Morning Star, maybe you'd better starighten us out on this. Everytime a vote comes up to allow more non resident tags, the IBA votes it down.
There is already a limit on how many tags can go to non res.
It's not the will of the people either as every resident I've talked to wants more deer killed and appreciates the NR $$$. It's the will of a small group of Resident hunters. The IBA.
I'm a Life Members of the IBA but I don't like their position on the NR issues.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »
i wolud like to hunt elk in New Mexico every year, same reason only so many non-resident tags. it is the same everyware. unless i want to pay huge money for a landowner tag. sad but true this is what it has come to and some how we all have to deal with.   Doug77

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
Thanks, Biggie!  Hey, if I'm wrong, I'll eat some crow pie!  I don't think I am wrong.  My understanding is that the IBA hired a lobiest to keep the number of out of state hunters down.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand how you guys in the IBA feel, but because you are fighting to limit the number of non-resident bowhunters down, you are, in essence, siding with the anti-hunters.  

The lead question I have is this: How could issuing more non-resident archery tags hurt you guys?  Tell me!  

I have plenty of landowners located in Iowa who would LIKE to have me come and hunt and pay a trespass fee.  They are frustrated because I can't hunt.  They say they have too many deer.

You guys prove me wrong and I'll apologize in this forum...but you have to prove me wrong.

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
Actually the IBA has supported an increase in the past (Ad Hoc bill), I THINK it would have been to a total of 10,000 tags, I'm not positive on that number though, it's been a while.

BTW, a lobbiest is a necessity for any bowhunting assn.  Ours keeps us intune and defends us on all relevant political issues.  You'd be foolish not to have one!

Like I said, come on over and discuss the facts.  Get some good information from board members and long time members, not hearsay!

It's just a click and a registration away.  I'm done discussing here!  

IBA Forum

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
Morning Star...

I went to the Iowa site and I can't get in to the chat forum or anything else.  I'm perfectly happy to post my feelings/views and have someone tell me I'm wrong...or right.  I just need to know what to click on when I go to the web site.

Thanks in advance...

P.s.  If the book and the tree stand are cheap enough, I might want to buy them.  Heh, heh, heh!

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
Shovelbuck....aside from the money, perhaps you should tell Paul what you do for the deer.
George, check my profile, I don't even live in Iowa, and for that matter, haven't hunted there.
But since you seem to need the info.........In the last 12 years, by my choosing I've shot only 2 bucks, the rest does. Plant food plots, supplimental feeding during winter, and have my deer voluntarily checked for CWD to help out the game commission.
Some may think that since I don't live there I don't have a dog in this fight. Wrong. We are all in this together, like it or not. Complaining about the cost or the amount of permits does nothing but divide hunters. If you think you must shoot a big buck then pay the price. State by state this same argument goes on. In my opinion, the residents have every right to limit the non resident since they are doing all the work to begin with.
I'm done, good hunting everyone.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
Shovelbuck.  Here's what Paul said:

"Think about that... you buy land there, improve it, increase deer and turkeys, pay LOTS of property taxes, add to the economy, and you can't even get a tag as a land owner!"

I see more than just money there.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
I must correct myself. The limit on tags is for archery, only 35% can go to archery tags. The IBA voted NOT to increase this percentage. Apparently, they prefer the tags go to gun hunters.

Shovelbuck. In one sentence you say the residents have a right to make those decisions, and in the next you say we are all in this together.

??????????????
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
I guess when I started the thread, I was just letting you know that I was surprised at how high the fee was for deer, because I know in some states you can hunt Elk for about $100 more.

But then when you think about it, how many of you guys have purchased tags in your state, thinking that you are going to fill those tags, and haven't !  How high of a cost is that, but then again, you had the enjoyment of the search, the steps of the journey, did you get results, of course you did.

But when I look at states like Iowa, it looks like it's totally a political, and money situation.  But then again, I don't even know what a nonresident deer hunting license is in Minnesota.

Isn't that the natural state of man, there are politicians that don't know the price of milk.  But they sure do know the words " more tax"
and they've never been to the woods themselves but they legislate the rules and regulations for hunting, by the opinions of those that have earned hundreds of thousands of dollars by putting together " a report" so they could read it and make the laws.

Now let's not divide over this guys, it was just a statement, just a surprise to me of how much it was for deer, can't imagine how much it would be for just a puny little rabbit !  But it sure does open my eyes to all those " true chase" hunts that you buy on the DVDs talk about a kid back situation !

But then again, compared to the cost of a custom three-piece takedown long bow, who's complaining !

Enjoyment is in the heart of the spender, somebody's pleasure is somebody else's pain, if they try to accomplish what they cannot gain. !
   :biglaugh:  

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Shovelbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »
George,a non resident paying property taxes doesn't add to the economy like living there year round does. Property taxes alone aren't much into the economy in the grand scheme of things. Your not there buying gas, groceries, etc, etc.
Since when is increasing deer numbers there good for the herd? Everything I know about Iowa and most other states is that there are allready plenty of deer and increasing numbers will actually be detrimental.
From what I've seen, non residents buy the land to hunt big bucks, and aren't there enough to shoot many, if any does. Great deer hunting and healthy herds come from good buck/doe ratios, not increasing numbers by way of more does.

Biggie, I could of worded that better but read the next line.............."Complaining about the cost or the amount of permits does nothing but divide hunters"

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
I quit applying after the most recent hike in non-res fees. I'm tired of the state holding onto my money and earning interest, only to say sorry! and refund me later.

I have a GREAT place to hunt in IA, but can't/don't hunt it, due to fees and my refusal to pay preference points in order to expedite getting drawn sooner (and also refusing to pay all the $$ they want). The landowner is a non-res, as well and is basically the same boat. Sure, he can get doe tags at a discount, but he's still treated the same as any other non-res.

I'm sorry, but IA should follow suit with IL to get the doe population under control. A non-res. who wants to hunt does in IL can buy a $25 doe tag over the counter. Tell me what's wrong with that idea IA!?? I know, I know... Sure, we'd all like to get that big buck, but I just want to hunt, period, and fill the freezer.

Don't even get me started on the late season special, any weapon, antlerless only season! I heard from plenty of disappointed people who thought they were shooting a doe, only to find out that they killed a buck who had shed his antlers.

We all know it has more to do with revenue than anything else. When you have the TV personalities telling everyone to "Come to IA/KS/MT (favorite state here) for monster bucks!" well, that's going to generate interest, and subsequently revenue, from out of state hunters. I think an out of state, border county should get a price break as well, but that's my opinion. I spend money in Iowa ALL the time. I've worked in IA for 23 years (buy my gas there, etc.) and contribute to Iowa's revenue just fine, thank you. You can defend the state's decisions all you want, but it's all about the $$$.

The state that has one of the best non-res. packages is Missouri. I'm hoping they stay the way they are. $225 gets you your small game license and tags for 2 deer and 2 turkeys. If you're the non-res. landowner, you can cut the permit fee in half! I believe that is fair.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Shape Shifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
I remember reading about the days when hunting was for only the rich and privledged. It seems that we are heading in that direction again. Paying $400.00 just for a deer license is way out of my budget and probably a lot of others and if hunters are more than willing to pay the fee it will of course like anything else keep going up. If you can afford the license fee consider yourself blessed but if you can't or think its too high, there's always the rabbits and squirrels.
"Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit"

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
They made upgrades to the site and it appears they are still getting the bugs out.  I tried the registration link and it wouldn't open for me either.  All I can tell you is keep trying or email an administrator.  Or until then, if you're bored, due some searches because this topic has been BEAT TO DEATH over there.  Heck they've even got dead horse pictures waiting for ya.    :D    

I will say one thing, this BY FAR isn't just an IBA thing!  Go to any Iowa hunting forum, from fishing to small game and you'll get a resounding "NO" from all groups.

They're smart enough to keep Iowa from turning into Illinois "Golden Triangle" or the Montana "Playground of the rich and not so caring."  You know a little about that stuff don't ya?  But that issue is just one of  MANY  reasons they don't want it to happen!

Another quick one, the "biggest reason" for areas having to many deer is "limited access to hunting ground" whether it be a city limits issue or a private landowner not allowing hunting. SE Iowa has lots of recreational ground leases and owners who just let the herd go wild now. But I know you are filled in on all that.   ;)   Right?

So keep on trying, you'll get registered at some point on IW. Biggie, do you get your info from board members or hearsay?  Maybe you should join in the forum to.   I'm done with this thread (truely done this time)    :)    , heading to my favorite funnel.  See ya over at IW at some point!  Hopefully after bow season.    ;)

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
Betcha can't stand it....you'll be back!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©