3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Hunt with Fred Bear " by Dick Lattimer - I needed that  (Read 912 times)

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
"Hunt with Fred Bear " by Dick Lattimer - I needed that
« on: January 26, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
I think I'm on iHunt's preferred buyers list because I've got Chuck's books and both of Dick's books, the latest being HUNT WITH FRED BEAR

I've never read Bear's hunting stories before. I've had serious struggled for the last 3 years with my hunting. Reading this book did wonders for me, because Fred seemed to emphasize over and over its the HUNT and not the filling of the tag thats important.

I didn't realize Fred missed as often as he did, I didn't realize some of the shots he took etc. Knowing that a man that could shoot as good as Fred could, and he must of been a good shot with the titles he won field archery, misses often kinda helps the missed shots I've had over the past 2 years.

It seemed quite a few of the animals Fred killed were with a 65# bow, and he liver shot quite a few. He skull shot a grizzly - I didn't know that. He hunted with a delaminated tip on a grizzly hunt, he lob shot his stone sheep, he missed the tiger he killed before the second shot got him .......... what a great book IMO, many field notes from Fred.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Hunt with Fred Bear " by Dick Lattimer - I needed that
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
Brad, everybody misses. Those that admit it, couldn't find their arrow.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »
Brad, another good book is Fred Bear's Field Notes.

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
lol, great quote Vter. and true

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
I'm in the middle of reading Lattimer's book "I Remember Papa Bear". It gives alot of insight into Fred's character as a man outside of the "field". Always respected his accomplishments but even more so now. Sometimes we only get to see one side of a man through media's portrayal and think that that IS him...Fred was apparently a man among men both in and out of the field. I have read his "Field Notes" already, but definitely plan on reading "Hunt with Fred Bear" next!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©