3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 180 miss, here's my story  (Read 1054 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
180 miss, here's my story
« on: November 10, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
Part I-November 1998- I shot traditional for several years and was onto a huge buck. Finally the day came when we had him pinned down to an area. I picked a stand of three and it turned out to be the right one. He followed several does right into my shooting lane and stopped 10 yards broadside. I drew my Zipper recurve and panicked when he looked up at me. Fearing he would bolt I rushed the shot and my Snuffer cut the skin on his back. The next time I would see this 187" non-typical would be opening day of gun season in the back of some guys pick-up. That was the last day I hunted with traditional equipment.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 180 miss, here's my story
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
Part II- Sept. 2006- After several years of shooting my compound and harvesting several wall hangers, I felt bored with bowhunting. I knew something was missing and it wasn't the deer. I wasn't having fun anymore. I knew what I had to do. It was too late to change for the upcoming season so I swore I was selling my compound at the end of the 2006 season and going back to traditional.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
Part III- Feb. 2007- I purchased a used Morrison recurve off this page ( one that terry once owned I might add) but due to elbow surgey I was unable to shoot until 2 months later. Finally I was shooting my recurve and guess what, I was having fun again. I realized that there was more to bowhunting than antlers on the wall. It was about having fun with friends and the sport. October could not get here soon enough.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
Part IV- I'm at work one day last week when I get the call from my hunting partner(longbowben) saying he just skinned the belly of a monster! He's killed alot of big deer and I've never seen him this worked up. I couldn't wait to get back into the woods. A great day came when 2 days later he connected on a nice 9 pointer for his 1st traditional kill since we quit in 1998. I was really excited for him. Now it was my turn.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Final part- Nov. 7, 2007 I'm sitting in the same stand Ben missed the monster in and watching several small bucks chase does all around me. All of a sudden I hear this grunt and look right to see a pig chasing a doe right at my opening. He chased that doe for over an hour and a half but would not present me a good shot. Not wanting to wound this beast, or any other deer, I even passed on a 12 yard shot while he walked past me. 1998 played over in my head all over again. The deer walked off without a shot. 11-8-07-due to south winds I had to hunt the stand up the hill from the one I saw the buck at. About 0845 I sat with binos in hand and watched the massive buck walk right under that bottom stand and stop in my opening. That evening I was able to hunt that bottom stand and at about 1645 a doe came from the thicket. I got ready and heard the familiar grunt. Here comes my big buck. After a short standoff with the doe, the buck stopped broadside at about 16 yards. When he looked downhill I turned and instincts set in. The arrow shot true and everything felt good when that cedar slammed into his ribs. I knew this was a good shot but no blood to find. We decided that without an exit wound we better let him go until morning. The longest night of my life. The next morning we found my deer within 150 yards of the stand. It wasn't the deer that most excited me. It was the fact that 3 of my buddies were with me to experience my best day afield. I don't care if I ever get another buck on the wall.This was the first deer I shot at with traditional equipment  since that 1998 miss.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
Conclusion- This has taught me a great experience. The deer will always be there, but good friends may not. Enjoy the time you have afield with them like it was your last. I made a big mistake 9 years ago and can't get that time back. But I won't make that mistake again. Thanks to all you traditionalists out there for making this sport what it is. And guess what, I'm having fun again!

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
Heck of a story bud. I'm happy for ya!

Pics coming later I hope!  :thumbsup:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
Deer facts-Not the 180 that was originally thought but a good one all the same. He's greened at 150 2/8, has 9 points. He was shot with a Morrison take down with cedar shafts with Snuffer heads. Thanks for listening to my story...Mike

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
Very nice buck Mike, Congrats!!

If your pic is over 640 they'll make you resize it.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
How do you down down size the pic?

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
This is my nephew who is already shootin a Rhino longbow at age 5.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
Dandy buck and wow what patience letting him go at 12 yards. Not sure I could have done that.

Glad to hear you are having fun again, congrats o on a great whitetail   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Chisler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
Beautiful Ohio buck Leatherneck!!  Great story and love those brow-tines.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
Wow!!! Very Impressive!  Happy with you for that  one...
Blessings,
Steve

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
Right on, leatherneck!  Great job waiting the good shot. Congratulations.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
What a pig, congratulations!
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
That's a beauty.

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
Nice, very nice.

You may have just convinced me to sell off the rest of my compound stuff. Thanks!

Congrats on an amazing animal taken with any equipment.
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
Way to go Mike!!
What a brute of a buck! Thanks for sharing the story. May you have many more to tell in the future.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©