3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: european mounts  (Read 740 times)

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
european mounts
« on: November 10, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
anyone have any pics of there mounts.im working on a hog head.any tips

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: european mounts
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Boil it in water w/ drain-o.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
I did these deer by boiling.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
I boil it a few hours then take it to the carwash and blast it off.. Hit the hole in the back of the skull and watch oout for flyin brain parts.. Let it dry and if ya wanna nice touch I use an approriate off white spray paint..  And if ya like you can rub stain on the horns to get the color to suit.
Damn Nice guy

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
Look for someone that uses bettles to clean there heads and then bleach them, they are as clean as they can be, and white. Heres two Javies,I had done.   :thumbsup:  

Larry

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
When you boil the skulls do you have to be careful to keep the antlers out of the hot water to avoid taking the color out of them as well?

I have one I am going to try this year as well.

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Heres proof that a trophy can live right under your nose and you never know it. Grew up living and hunting on the property where I found this. Was hunting from a stand in the creek bottom and seen him from the stand, already dead for several weeks. The oak board is 14 1/2" wide and 19 1/2" tall, a honest 150 incher

"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
I have done several (no pics currently). I boil them, then let 'em dry for a few days. Then I go to the hair salon supply store and get the strongest peroxide they have (it is by "weight" 30, 40, 50, 60 etc.).

This is the stuff they use to do those 2 or 3 tone hair dos with. What I get is the consistency of thick gravey and sticks to the skull real well. I put it on, let it sit for half a day, rinse and repete until they are the color I want.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »

This was the first one I did.  Did it last year.  I thought is turned out great and very easy to do.

Offline oneshot1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »
Beetles are the way to go, cheap, fast, and perfect job. You can also bend stiff wire to make a wall-hanger thats invisable for skull mounts.

Offline Buffler Razz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
Nice pictures!
A couple of suggestions: I too have used peroxide with good results (sorry no pics). I wrapped cotten batting over the skull and have also wrapped a cotton cloth over one; than I poured the peroxide over the cloth and kept it wet by basting it now and then. Uses far less peroxide than a full soaking bath of the solution. I also read not to use bleach, as it tends to embrittle the bone. Lastly, be sure to wear some kind of eye protection when using any chemicals or cleaners, you only get one pair of eyes and there are no "do overs" if you get splashed!
There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone. Everyone knows what they mean. What's more important is time that is known as the little dash in between.
Buffler Razz

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
There is the household Hydrogen Peroxide typically found in the Drug stores in a brown colored bottle. That stuff runs about 3%.  Then there's the industrial strength stuff found at pool supply stores that runs about 30% strength.  I understand that the industrial strength stuff will boil off your live skin.  Has anyone ever used the industrial strength Peroxide to clean skull mounts?  I understand that boiling will destroy the fragile nasal bones and bleaching will cause the bones to crack in time.  I was wondering about the industrial strength peroxide?  Anyone ever used it to clean skulls?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
Put it in a plastic trash bag and stick it out side under a tub. The same beetles are under the ground. Wait 6 months and the beetles have done there job. Clean with peroxide, hang out in sun for a couple of days and it will be white as can be. All the teeth will be in the trash bag just glue them back in.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
Go to a beauty supply store like "Sallie's" for the peroxide.  Best I found was their 40% gel.  Great for brushing on and it stays put.

Offline GRW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
Here is my alternaitve to expensive shoulder mounts. I do a few of these a year, for hunting buddies.

Be Humble, Don't Stumble...

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
i got all the meet off.i just set it outside in a have a heart trap and the bugs cleaned it in 2 weeks.now i just have to clean it up.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
Here's the hog I shot down at Curtis' place last year.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
Like Buffler Razz said, use eye protection.I got it on my skin and it turned me white and stung where the splashes got me.WARNING MJ, do not try this at home!

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 06:58:00 AM »
GRW - I'd love to see a build-a-long on making those mounts of yours.  How do you do them?

BillJ
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
how long did you guys leave the peroxide on the heads?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©