Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Form vid  (Read 8343 times)

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Form vid
« on: November 07, 2005, 10:37:00 PM »
Guy's I put together a short vid of a dozen or so shots, with a few shooting the FITA bow...hopefully to show than the basic archery form is all the same..whether your shooting a self bow to a full blown FITA rig.
  video
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline MDbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form vid
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 11:04:00 PM »
of course you are a skilled archer.

I am just curious where you anchor with your barebow bows.  It kind of looks like you have a "floating" anchor, maybe it is just the video but it appears to be off of your face.  

While it appears you have a good dynamic release, in one of those shots it looks like you come forward to find your anchor.  For most people coming forward causes a colapse in back tension and negatively effects the release.

Also, do you shot point on or gunbarrel.  I asked because it looks like you have a high anchor
Looking to buy RH Black Widow HS takedown recurve bows.  Please send Private Message.

Offline Double Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 11:10:00 PM »
Thanks Rod, that was great......

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 12:32:00 AM »
"I am just curious where you anchor with your barebow bows."

Wayne, when using a side of face anchor...I'm using a deep hook on the string and middle finger anchored on a molar tooth...with some of the shot clips being a few years old, some are a corner of the mouth anchor.

I changed from my normal corner of mouth anchor, for the very reason you mentioned.......when I drew the bow to a proper line...I needed to come forward to find my anchor, then increase back tension...I finally bit the bullet and decided to move my anchor farther back.

I shoot gap
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 07:27:00 AM »
Great video Rod! Really appreciate you sharing it. Super consistent form.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 07:35:00 AM »
"I shoot GAP"  :scared:    ;)  

You are right good shooting is good shooting, but I still dont know how you hit any critters holding that long   ;)    ;)    :D  

It is nice to put a face with the name.Thanks for taking the time and posting it for everyone to see.  :thumbsup:
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampbuck:
I notice everybody has the same ending hand position,
coinsidence??????  
Maybe cause its all of the same person?

Yohon....yeah...I hear ya, ....when he got to anchor, the suspence was killing me!!!

In all seriousness.......Thanks Rod....looking machine like in the clips.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 12:34:00 PM »
LOL guess I was lookin at the shot more than the person LOL Thanx again
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Bill Curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »
Rod,
Top notch, of course I've seen it in person.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 07:21:00 PM »
Rod,
With all due respect to your talent, it appears that you are dropping your bow arm. Can you elaborate on why this is not effecting your shooting? Thanks.
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »
Man, how can you hold the bow up so straight.    :eek:  

Good clip.  And yes, very consistant.  And consistancy is what it takes.

Just to confirm, and perhaps for an explaination I can pass on; please explain why your bow goes out and down upon release.

I say it's follow through and due to back tension.

Offline MDbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »
Thanks Rod.

Did you make the change before or after the 2004 worlds?
Looking to buy RH Black Widow HS takedown recurve bows.  Please send Private Message.

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 08:58:00 PM »
I don't care if he floats his anchor, drops his bow arm slightly, or spits on his arrow before each shot.  It obviously works for him.    :thumbsup:  We should all wish we were good enough to be a World Champion.  Thanks Rod!

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »
Don't get me wrong folks. I am not an archer of his ability. I am making an observation and asking a question, that's how I learn.
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 09:06:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

Bill....I always enjoy shooting with you and other shooters of your caliber...brings out one's best game!

SK38.....how many times have you heard...on release...do nothing ? I dont try and control the bow, preferring to simply let the bow shoot....if you "do nothing" the bow will move forward on release, with the weight of the bow exerting itself on the bow hand well after the arrow has left the bow and continue moving its self to the left(right hand shooter) due to the inabilty to ever have the bow hand directly in the center of the bows power stroke and the back tension in the bow arm side of the back.... the key is to maintain back tension until the arrow clear the bow, then the bow doesn't need any help in doing its job.....clear as mud huh?  :)

Lost Hawg ...hope the above answers your question

Wayne...I changed anchors after the 05 worlds....after fighting with an anchor that was un-conductive to a good line....I wish I had made the change years ago!
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 09:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I thought it was a result of your "pushing" toward the target to maintain back tension. Obviously once the arrow is clear the bow can do what ever it wishes without effecting arrow flight.

I asked the question because when I run my shot if I feel my arm drop I will see an effect on arrow flight, ussually low. If I don't try to correct it, on the bail right away, it can quickley become habit for me.

Fred Bear

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »
Sounds about like what I said except a little more expansive.    :thumbsup:  

Follow through is about the most forgotten parts of the shot.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 09:41:00 PM »
SK38... Ask questions! I surely do......I asked the same questions, the first time I really watched a world class shooter in action....the bow arm dropping went against all I understood at that time, then it was explained that when using bone structure and back tension to shoot the bow, the object was to remove any unneeded tension in not only the release side , but bow arm as well...and it takes tension in the forearm to keep the bow from moving AFTER the limbs return to brace.

I forgot to add.....Ok on the floating anchor question...each shot there was a defininte anchor point.....I was trained to establish a solid and easy to repeat anchor point....not to anchor hard against the face or lay into the string....reason being....if your using muscle tension to lay into the string hard....what happens on release?? Often the head will move..sometimes slightly, sometimes the head will move a good deal..breaking concentration on target and often the bow hand will follow the eyes...before the arrows clears the bow.

The object in posting the clip, is not an attempt to suggest anyone use my style of shooting, but to maybe explain some of the dynamics involved(I suck at explaining ) and perhaps show that basic archery form is  about muscles and alignment,,whether shooting upright or leaning over and canting a bunch...its still about getting a good line!
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 07:15:00 AM »
I appreciate your sharing your video and taking the time, and having the patience, to deal with the questions. So much is said about what is perfect form. More should be said about perfect execution. Thanks Rod.

Fred Bear

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 07:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by SHOOTO8S:
I forgot to add.....Ok on the floating anchor question...each shot there was a defininte anchor point.....I was trained to establish a solid and easy to repeat anchor point....not to anchor hard against the face or lay into the string....reason being....if your using muscle tension to lay into the string hard....what happens on release?? Often the head will move..sometimes slightly, sometimes the head will move a good deal..breaking concentration on target and often the bow hand will follow the eyes...before the arrows clears the bow.
After shooting with Rod and having a discussion about this, I made my anchor even more "ethereal"...it just barely touches my anchor point now and it's away. Really minimized the negative effects I was sometimes getting on a really "hard" anchor.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©