Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: high elbow  (Read 1178 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
high elbow
« on: February 18, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
How do you fix a high elbow while shooting?  Can you use a lower anchor point or is back tension the answer.  I had my wife video me pulling my bow and noticed my elbow was at about 30 degrees.  Also, I had her put her hand in the middle of my shoulderblades while pulling to anchor and didn't even come close to "pinching" her hand. One other point, should I focus on pushing my bow arm to the target or focus on squeezing that shoulder back like my drawing arm?Just looking for suggestions

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: high elbow
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
I'm curious about what your problem is in fixing the high elbow.  I noticed I had a high elbow one time, and all it took to fix it was being aware of it.  In other words, I was able to position my elbow either high or low just by deciding where I wanted it, without having to worry about back tension, etc.  I recently exchanged posts with someone on this forum and found that different people get to full draw in different ways.  My elbow starts low and rises up to the full draw position, where his apparently starts high and drops down to the full draw position.  Maybe that's why I didn't have a problem correcting it?  I don't know, just a guess.

I was told by Fred Asbell in a traditional shooting clinic to use my elbow as an indication of back tension, not by how high or low it was but by how far back it was.  If my elbow was still kind of sticking out to the side, then I didn't have good back tension, whereas if my elbow was pulled back such that my forearm was in line with the arrow, then I had good back tension.

I think you need to focus on both pushing with your bow arm and getting good back tension on each shot.  I think once you achieve good form, those two things are about all you need to focus on, other than the target, of course.  Some would say you need to focus on your release too, but in my experience, a good or bad release is a symptom of other things that are going well or poorly, not a cause.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: high elbow
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 01:21:00 AM »
You're not going to pinch your wife's hand because your bow arm is pushing and your draw arm is pulling.

As for the high elbow, some possible causes could be overbowing, twisting the wrist out from the face, or leaning your head in to your anchor.  As McDave said, what you want is your forearm in line with the arrow. Everyone's body is a little different. That's why some folks anchor with this finger here and that finger there.  Experiment and find the style that lets you keep everything in line and go with it.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©