Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Archery Anatomy(the book)  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
Archery Anatomy(the book)
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Has anyone read this book? I've had it for awhile and kinda read a bit sometimes. Most of it is WAY over my head, but I reread the bow-hand section the other day and it has really helped me. It says not to use the web of the hand because when you do, your bowhand collapses around the grip which causes torque, but instead, use the solid muscle under the thumb to push with. It kinda makes sense.Any thoughts??
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archery Anatomy(the book)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
When you say the solid muscle under the thumb, do you mean that your hand ends up a little more on the side of the bow than it would if you pushed with the web between your hand?  Does this mean that you're not using a straight wrist?  When I look at the place I think you're describing, it would seem that I would have to use a lower wrist than if I pushed with the web.  Before I try what your describing, I want to make sure I understand what you're saying.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
I'm still just "trying" this. You can still use a straight wrist. That's what the guy suggest anyway. He says to keep the wrist in it's most natural position. I have noticed that by using the "non-web" grip, that I do not hit my arm-guard anymore and my bow seems quieter even though I'm using less grip.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline pete Darby @ home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 06:56:00 AM »
I found it to have some great advice but like you, most of it is way over my head and thus it was sort of boring.  The hand placement sounds spot on to me.  As much as possible I want bone against bone and a straight wrist gives me that.  It also puts the bow in the muscles under my thumb.  Trying to hold the bow in the web of my hand puts some bend in my wrist.
Peter Darby

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©