Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Lets get better together(Pics Added)......  (Read 2691 times)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Lets get better together(Pics Added)......
« on: February 28, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
I have commited myself to shoot everyday from now until the start of deer season. I figured I would start a thread where we could post our progress daily, and give each other support! Who's with me?

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets get better together(Pics Added)......
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
I could use some motivation like this.  I'm in.  I'll have my target back on Sunday and will get it set up in the basement.  Still cold and crappy weather here.  I plan to start shooting leagues on Tuesdays, too.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
I always take a target and my bow with me to work. I have permission to shoot on a piece of land close to my work. I stopped by BK and grabbed a burger. I set the target out, drove the truck out to about 40 yards. I dropped the tailgate wolfed down the burger. My first series started about the 25 yard mark. The first three arrows I shot, all hit in a 2 inch dot! Great way to start.(I love hearing arrows slapping together) I mixed it up shooting at all different yardages out to about 30. Let loose about 75 shots all together, before I had to head back to work. My goal is to be able to shoot out to 40 yards keeping three arrows in a 3 inch dot.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
I want to be like Byron..lol

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
I'm in. Maybe I'll start at 20yds and work my way up to 40 as I go. Of course I can practice with my old bow(Now belongs to my 14 year old nephew)until my new one gets here........Can't wait.

Jeff

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »
Let me back up a minute and let you guys know where I am in terms of progress. On October 28 2006 I killed my last deer with the Compound. It was a 10 pt. scored 123 not a monster by any stretch, but the biggest deer I have ever killed, and I was glad to have had the opportunity. From that day forward I have not shot or hunted with wheels. The feeling is just not there anymore. Since that day I have been shooting sticks every chance I get. About 2 weeks ago some friends talked me into to going to a 3-D tournament. I had never been to one before. They were showing me the ropes, and we were ribbing each other the whole time. I had a blast. I shot a 168 out of 200 and ended up winning the thing. I could not believe it. There were only 25 guys shooting, but that experience lit another fire under me, in terms of trying to get better. So far I have shot everyday in the month of February. Today I shot 6 arrows right before I left work 3 at 23yards and 3 at 13 yards. All landed in the 3" dot I was shooting at. I guess the reason I started this thread was to see if maybe we could feed off of each other in terms of motivation, practice routine, creative ways to make sure you shoot everyday etc. Tonight I will try to post some pictures of my equipment and targets, to give you guys a little glimpse into my world. lol...Shoot often and shoot straight.   :thumbsup:

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
Slayer, I think Byron wants to be like you.  :thumbsup:  

Wait a minute, you must be Howard himself reincarnation.  

Seriously .....Great shooting bud..   Keep it up...Like in all sports, some people are just naturally gifted. you are one of those ... :clapper:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline LCB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
Like you I killed my last deer with a compound this year, and sold the wheels. I already had some experience with traditional gear, and owned/shot a few trad bows. I started shooting regular again back in Dec. However I have not yet worked myslef back to the ranges that you have. I am still working on my form, anchor, and release. I usually shoot no further than 15yds. I got in the habit of GAP/stinctive shooting last year with my trad bow. I'm really trying hard now to just focus on the target. It's comming slow! So I am feeding off of your success. I almost practice everyday, sometimes for 10min sometimes for an hour. I carry my bow and a block everywhere I go. Somedays at 15 yds I hold 2-3 inch groups, other days not so tight. At 20 my groups are less consistant. My goal right now is to be able to hit a turkeys vitals at 15yds by 28Apr. I'm pretty confident I'll reach that goal, maybe even exceed it.
Success is measured not by inches of antler growth, but in the heart, soul, and mind!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Today I set up a bunch of cans from our recycling all around the yard. I set them so I would be shooting at the bottoms of the cans (3" circles) I had no distances set, just put them out all over. I proceeded to knock the cans all around the yard by nailing them with my arrows. I was in rare form as I missed 0 out of about 30 shots. I'm gonna try this more often. Lots of fun. I did it before reading this thread. After reading, thought I would share it, and use it as a practice regiment. oh yeah, got rid of the wheels about 1996
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
Thats a good one Jerry. Sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
I thought I would share how I have managed to shoot everyday for the past month. Sometimes I can only shoot a few arrow but I try to do something everyday. Here are some creative ways:

1. I have a target at the end of my drive way, I positioned my outside house lights so they shine on the target. I started getting up 10min earlier for work. While my truck is warming up I shoot two or 3 arrow from different ranges. I hang my bow back up and head for work.

2. When it is raining or the weather is bad I set a target out in front of the garage. I stand inside the garage and try to shoot at least 2 or 3 arrows. Most of the time the distance is not that great but at least I get to feel the bow in my hand.

3.When the weather is nice I take a target to work and at lunch time I try to slip out to shoot for a half hour or so.

4. I shoot at night a lot. I have lights lit up down my drive way so i can shoot out to about 30 yard. I can get a lot of work done after I take care of my family obligations.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 07:31:00 AM »
I'm in.  I only have over spinned arrows to shoot right now.  Just bought a lighter bow 2 weeks ago and am still building the woodies to shoot in it.  The 160 gr. points helped a little but I still shoot it every chance I get.  I have worn out the both centers of a bag target while learning to shoot.  I'll shoot the 3d course with you tomorrow at the classic even though I still pretty much stink.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
I'm getting 2-3" at 15 yards but when I back up past that the groups start to open up. I'd like to be able to shoot 2-3" at 25 yards. My son and I practice in the evenings when I get home from work.
  I was going to post a question about this. Past 15 yards is it still possible to shoot instinctive or do you need to start shooting by gaps out that far?
  Just wondering what y'all do?

Thanks,
        Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
I shoot instinctive at all distances. It has taken a lot of shots to get to that point. Just keep practicing and shoot as much as you can, it will come. Start at short yardages and gradually increase. I am starting to work out to 40 to 45 yards. I always go back to the shorter yardages just to keep the skills sharp.  :thumbsup:

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
Slayer,
   You don't use gaps at all at 40 and 45 yards?

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline LCB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 06:12:00 AM »
Well I had a great evening last night. My first arrow was in the 2in bull and 3 more were real close at 20yds. My last 6 arrows were all in a 4 inch group at 20yds. I've never been that consistant on six arrows at that yeardage. It freaked me out. I thought someone else was shooting.
Success is measured not by inches of antler growth, but in the heart, soul, and mind!

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rusty in Fla.:
Slayer,
   You don't use gaps at all at 40 and 45 yards?

Rusty <><
Rusty, I don't use gaps at longer yardages. Its hard to explain. I just concentrate on the spot I am trying to hit, and let the arrow fly. The arrow tip is elevated but I really do not look at the tip. The best way I can explain this is In my peripheral vision I make sure the arrow is line with the target. After that my subconscious takes over. If you shoot enough you wont even think about it. If you try this, in the beginning, make sure you shoot at a large bail.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
I just came in from shooting. I took some pictures at different yardages 18,25,30,41. This first one is kind of cool. These are my first three arrows at 18 yards. I hate it when this happens. Esp with arrows are as expensive as they are.  :p  Need to start shooting dots at this range.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
This next set of pictures was at about 25 yards. Still about 1" higher than were I want to be. My goal is to be perfact everytime at this yardage.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
This next picture was from 30 yards. Groups start to open up here. This is a pretty typical group. I am working on trying to be more consistant at 30. Sometimes they are tight and sometimes they open up. I just need to keep shooting and stay motivated.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©