3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The WORST thing has happened  (Read 414 times)

Offline northern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
The WORST thing has happened
« on: November 10, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
I don't know how many of you have had to go through this but I'm guessing a few.
I got up this morning at 3:00 am to make the run to North Bay to hunt with a friend.We got into the woods just a little late but no big deal.As I climbed in my stand it was covered with snow and frost ,slippery as hell and there was no way to be quiet.The stand that I was in was not set up for someone that shoots trad gear,as my host all shoot rifles and crossbows(more on this later).
I was not in my stand very long when there were rifle shots off in the distance.I looked off to the side and seen something moving to my right.
At first I thought it might be other hunters but remembered that my host told me that this was private land.Sure enough it was a deer ,he was 80 yards to my right.I fumbled to get my grunt call out of my fanny pack.
At this point I'm going to speed the story up.
The little 6 point come in like he was on a lead .It looked perfect,broadside at 20 yards.I don't remember my finger touching the corner of my mouth and than  the arrow THWACKING the deer.I would have bet my life that I had a clean kill.At 6:00pm we still have not found my deer .
I hit the deer just under the spine and appearantly above the lungs.
The rifle and crossbow hunters called off all there evening hunts and swept the woods with me because finding that deer was more important than shooting the next one.
I'm sick to my stomach.I don't know if I want to throw up ,cry, or wrap my bow around a tree.
I hurt one of gods creatures because I did not do my job right.someone should smack me.
I know that you guys/gals know what I mean when I say I will hunt an animal to kill an animal but I never want to hurt an animal.
I just had to get this off my chest and I'm going back to search agian tomorrow.If I don't find him I think I might just punch my tag anyway.
thanks for hearing me out
gary
If it wasn't for Hillary Blackburn I may have never found my way to the woods and the water.I miss you Puppy.Love from your grandson.

Offline michael d

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The WORST thing has happened
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »
Northern fisher - I know exactly how you feel.  I've shot two deer in the past with my compound(don't use a compound anymore), both within 20 yards, lots of blood, and never recovered them.  While you feel bad for not harvesting the animal....you have to remember that it happens to us all and unfortunately that's part of hunting.  Keep your head up and don't give up.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »
Been there and done that Gary.  I hope it never happens again but there is nothing I can do to totally prevent it.  Like Michael said, keep your head up.

Kudos to all the other hunters who helped with the search.  They show the heart of true sportsmen.

Dennis

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
Gary...We all wound animals but man you have got to lighten up or quit hunting.  If it was guaranteed each time we loose an arrow or squeeze the trigger all will go perfectly it wouldn't be hunting.
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline OB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
Gary, sorry to hear of your predicament.  I lost a 315 bull 2 years ago that I will NEVER forget.  I pulled a 3 pack of Magnus's from their package the night before my elk hunt; didn't bother to touch them up or even feel them shave.  I shot him from 6 paces in-between two juniper trees while kneeling; it was the coolest shot I ever made.  The arrow went (1)in too far forward, barely stuck in his shoulder blade and he ran off- no sign of blood what-so-ever.  I learned 2 things that day.  Sharp broadheads are the utmost of importance, and to never hunt on the Lord's day ever again!  The pain of losing that huge bull is still with me today...

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
I agree with the above, especially about not being too hard on yourself. You still have tomorrow to look, and if it you don't find the deer remember that nothing goes to waste in nature.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »
I know how you feel; but I can tell you that if you shot OVER the spine - the deer is most likely to survive.
                                                  I had a pass through on a muledeer doe this fall; that I followed for miles. It eventually bedded; and after a stalk; it got up and ran off like nothing had happened to it. I found NO blood in the bed; although I followed a spot here and there to it; and I could see the deer until it bedded. It was hit over the spine - I could see the wound until the bleeding slowed: but thought it was a perfect shot when I made it.

I followed it for hours after that; and it eventually ran up a mountain and started feeding. I am sure it recovered.                                        

Remember when deer are fighting; the antlers poke holes in them all the time ( one study of deer skins turned into tanneries showed over 70 heeled wounds per skin). Deer run into branches; and fences; and as I mentioned - other bucks- and recover.                                          

There is a thread here somewhere that shows the organs of the deer; and such; I will look it up and add it here.
  Certainly we do not shoot to just injure deer; we shoot to kill them; but remember; they are strong animals; and can recover from cuts--- which is what a broadhead does. Bullets kill by the damage from the bullet itself; but more from hydrostatic shock; the vibrations of the bullet.
  Bullet wounds are hard to heal from; but arrow wounds are pretty easy for a deer to recover from.

Remember too- except for spine shots; we shoot and wound animals; and then they die from the wounds. It may take the animal a few steps to pass out from oxygen not reaching the brain; or it might take a couple hundred yards.
  I can tell you as a very experienced bowhunter; with lots of kills with a bow; that the best way to lose a bow shot deer; is to have help finding the deer. As much as people mean well; they can miss obvious signs; or not so obvious signs; and step on sign- eliminating it.
 I have seen deer run in circles; and drop right where I shot them; I have seen them run off; breed a doe; and fall over dead. I have tracked many deer for myself and others; and believe me; deer will do things that will confound you; and a slow steady 'keep to the blood trail' approach is really the best way to go; short of a good tracking dog.
 I hit a buck through the heart once that ran 180 yards - yet died about 30 yards from where it was when I hit it. I had 'help' with that tracking job; and when they gave up; I started from the place the deer was shot; and in time; found the deer.                                    

While misses and bad hits are reasons to practice more; and really try to be steady on the shot; and to pick a spot... its no reason to stop bowhunting. Rifle hunters in studies have proven they wound more deer than bowhunters do.

Again; its not our intent to lose deer. It happens; we try to not have it happen; but it can to anyone.

Did the arrow pass through the deer? Did you find the arrow; find a blood trail? What did the blood trail look like?
  If you shot over the spine; the deer will most probably recover. I think you shot over - not under the spine.
 Take an honest look at the deer in the thread; and tell me if you still think you shot under the spine.
  Make your next arrow count  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 12:53:00 AM »
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©