Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Shooting style changes for distance?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Deadeye33

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting style changes for distance?
« on: March 11, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
I am really working to improve my shooting and at close distances (under 15 yards) I can just look and shoot.  When I shoot over 15 I am much, much better using the arrow as an aiming point, perhaps this is considered gap shooting.  Is this common or should I just stick with one style and practice?

Thanks,

Deadeye33
Deadeye33

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting style changes for distance?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 02:10:00 AM »
Im sure the experienced guys can help you more then me but ill give it a shot. When I shoot at all ranges my max being 30 when I bring the bow up I use the swing draw method as I bring the bow up I can see the arrow and I know where it should be so when I know its inline with my target I stop my bow arm and finish my draw and its helped me at all my ranges and I believe its why im shooting consistently. It takes a couple hours of practice because you learn quickly where you arrow show be. At 30 yards my arrow has to be a little over the target at 20 it has to be pointed near the heart of my deer target as I close in to 10 yards or less I keep the arrow dead on to where I want to shoot and im where I want to be.

This may change with you because you may have a flatter shooting bow and different style of shooting I shoot split finger style with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth so if you shoot Apache style im not sure if it would work cause ive never tried it if you do shoot Apache id suggest gapping but that is just me take what ive said with a grain of salt but it works for me.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
From books I've read, I understand that it was a common practice in the old days (maybe still is) for a traditional shooter in tournaments to shoot instinctively at close distances and gap shoot at longer distances.  You could apparently tell by looking at them, because when they shot instinctively, they canted the bow, and when the shot gap, they held the bow vertically.  I tried that myself, and found that I was able to finally get to the point that I was a mediocre shot both ways.  If I was going to be a good shot both ways, I would have to shoot a lot more arrows than I have time for, particularly at longer distances as I can't do that at home.  So I decided the heck with that, I would just practice instinctively, since that's the way I hunt.  Sometimes if I decide to shoot at something 80-100 yards away, I'll still shoot gap, which at least usually gets me in the target so I don't lose as many arrows.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Asafan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
At shooting the most important - to see the purpose. Therefore on distances up to 30 yards I pull a bowstring at a level of an ear, and on the big distances - to a chin or is lower. Though it is more - any more a distance for hunting...
Wooden toys

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©