3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohio Hunters where is the Rut?  (Read 696 times)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Ohio Hunters where is the Rut?
« on: November 11, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
In my last four days of hunting I have seen no sign of rut activity,very little scrapes or rubs, and no bucks. I'm in Perry County is this the same in other areas of Ohio. If so when do you think  the rut will kick in full swing?

Offline Matt Stuckey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohio Hunters where is the Rut?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
I'm currently up in northwest Ohio And things are heating up.  I was working around the barnyard last friday morning and saw 9 different bucks out in broad daylight moving across the stubble fields.  Have since seen many others out chasing does.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
The rut has been in since the 1st in eastern ohio.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Chisler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
I hunted Guernsey Cty 11/1 - 11/7 and saw very little activity.  This is a spot with a lot of deer and a lot of bucks.  Very little chasing...  The wind and rain on Sun and Mon seemed to decrease deer activity.  The scrapes I saw were brand new.  5 bucks together on 11/6 had no interaction.  I kept thinking it's gonna take off... and it never did while I was there.  Certainly different than other years.  Wish I was there this week, have to wait until Friday.
     We planted somne foodplots for the first time - clover, brassica/turnip, chicory - and the deer have been eating a lot.  Maybe they're too fat and sassy to worry about the rut?  Not really, but you wonder if it has any effect.

Offline barebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
It looks like the rut is getting a late start again this year. I'm just now beginning to see some buck's starting to search for does in Holmes County.
"Killing an animal is intrinsic to the hunt. It shouldn't be glorified, but conducted with respect and reverence..." - Gene Wensel _ Primal Dreams

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
Nothing in my woods yet
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline mildrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »
I was out on the 2nd and 3rd of last week and saw scrapes and rubs but the deer were not really active in coshocton co.I went this friday the 9th and as I thought things changed.From what I saw-a doe being hounded by a small forky.Her mouth was wide open gasping she was being run hard.After rattling,a 120 class 8 point walked up a scrape line to me with his nose to the ground.He quartered away at 10 yards,I let her fly.He didn't walk more than 20 yards before he layed down and died within 2 minutes.From what I'm seeing they are in full swing.Get to the woods now.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
Im in east central NY, this past week Ive seen rubs, scrapes and a 6 point chasing does grunting all the way.I think it may be a sporadic rut this year since Ive seen little bits of rutting activity since late October.Last year I saw most during mid November.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
They are chasing good here in Harrison County. They have been for about 5 days now.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Around my neck of Ohio woods, bucks have been chasing does since a week ago this wens. Thursday evening it was like Grand Central Station in the woods, deer where running around everywhere. I believe it's prime time right now.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
On our farm in harrison county ,one area has lots of does the bucks where consintrated in that area.Our buddys are hunting the back of the farm and seing nothing.But we where seing 10 bucks at a sitting.I think we had the first esteris does.I think you need to find thoes does.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
Last Monday I saw 6 bucks chasing doe.  :archer:  
Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »
rut in Full swing in NE Ohio.  I killed a nice 7 point last night that we found this morning.  It was chasing a doe.  On Friday night my hunting partner killed a doe and when we took it to the check station there was 7 other people checking in deer.

Offline 52 bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
Bucks are going nuts here in W.Central In.Passed on 32 bucks so far[under 20 yds.only counted] , a couple of 135-140's tempters and saw 7 over 150 on 5 diff. farms,waiting for the big one sure is fun!!!!???? Going to OH. when gun season starts here- any one need a good "dragger" in OH???

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
Started on strong in my area (NE Ohio) four days ago.  Bucks chasing does and coming in fast to the horns.  Got to watch a great fight between two Friday night.  About 40 minutes worth of non-stop head thrashing action.  Quite a sight!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
I'm in The southern tier of NY and there isn't much going on where I hunt. I think maybe the lack of acorns has the does looking for food in other than traditional areas for this time of year and the bucks are following the does. See I can always come up with some kind of excuse.
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Offline stick flipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
I have been seeing some activity but not as much as I usually see at this time, maybe the does in my area are a lil late? I dont know, but I think at any moment it will be the full on chase in my woodlots

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
I believe what the guys in Ohio are seeing is just that the chase phase, actual breeding(when most does come into estrus) is still abit off or about to start, we are a few days away from that in my part of NY as well. shawn
Shawn

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
I had a big 8 point following the trail a doe had made earlier.  He grunted  like  a pig the whole time, even made a weird clicking noise. Trashed some branches, circled me completely and never blew out of the area.  He even winded me, but wanted that doe too bad to care.  

-Charlie

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
I spent every day last week (5th -9th) in a tree.  I saw a fair amount of buck movement early in the week but very little chasing.  i kept count and out of the 19 buck sightings I had, only 3 were chasing, and all 3 were chasing the same doe.  That was Monday the 5th.  The rest of the week all I saw was bucks out cruising.  EVERY single doe I saw still had the young-uns with her.
Otto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©