Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Draw length of 24 inches?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw length of 24 inches?
« on: March 13, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
Well I have started to enjoy the Traditional bow but have a concern to share with you all.  

With my Compound I shoot a 26 inch draw and shoot great with this length.  

When I put a clothes pin on my arrows with my Cougar and draw to my anchor point at my cheek bone I get a 24 inch draw.  Do you think that this is right?  I am measuring from where the string sits in the nock to the clothes pin.  Am I doing something with my form that has me losing draw length?  I have only been at this for about 5 months so I don't know.  I have been measured twice at shops and have been told that I have a 25.5 and a 27 inch draw with a Traditional Bow so I don't know what to think.

I can say this that my groups at 10 yards is within five inches so I am inclined to think that I have a short draw.  I think this is pretty good for just getting going and haveing arrows that are spined wrong for a 24 inch draw at 45 pounds vs a 26 draw at 51 pounds wich is what I thought I had/have.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw length of 24 inches?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
Depending on how you had your compound setup, your "natural" draw length with a trad bow could very well be much, much different, in either direction. I started out shooting trad with a 24" draw length. Now almost three years later, it has "grown" to 26".

I started shooting trad with a bow that was too heavy for me, but I kept shooting it, and eventually worked up to handle the weight at a more normal draw. I don't recommend doing that. I think it severely hampered my ability to get consistent form. But the good news is that your draw length may grow over time. Don't order a custom bow yet. LOL the draw will be too short by the time you get it.    :p  

When you had your draw measured before, was it with with a lighter bow? Was it before shooting, i.e., when you're fresh and not tired? Was it measured more than once, to check for consistency?
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline PigStikker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
You may not be getting your back fully into it, allowing your shoulders to rotate into alignment.  This generally is a product of shooting a bow that is too heavy. I am not saying you should be perfectly lined up with the target as you would if you were shooting a target bow or a compound, but your shoulders do have to be somewhat aligned.  Good article by G. Fred Asbell on just that in this past issue of TBM. It helped me a WHOLE lot.

Matt
Form and Focus

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
It might just be your draw...you can usually determine draw length based on someones height...pretty close...drop that info here and it'll give more info in determining whether it is correct-ish or not

And going from a compound to a stickbow puts you shorter just about everytime...that 24" sounds like it might be right.

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
To answer some questions.

I was measured with the little bows that have a pre-measuerd shoft through a eye screwe.

I was fresh and it was a no wieght type bow.

I am five foot eight inches tall.

I will try to get my shoulders into it and see if it grows.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
At 5'8" without having really short arms or something, you are missing 2 inches or so.  

Try to find yourself a 45# bow at 28" and see if things improve for you.  My guess is the bow is a bit too much and causing the short draw...you aren't alone...get a lighter weight and work on form and a comfortable draw length.  After a while I'm sure you will end up somewhere btwn 26 and 28"s.

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
I agree with bjk. I'm 5'5" if I stand up straight, and I have a 26" draw. I don't consider myself a knuckle-dragger either. Of course draw length also depends on where you anchor. Some people anchor right at their lips or nose, other people anchor almost back at their ear.

Remember too that a longer draw length will generally give you more power / leverage than a heavier bow at a shorter draw. In other words, it is usually better to shoot a lighter bow with a longer draw than it is to shoot a heavy bow with a short draw. (If only I knew back then what I know now... )
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
Hey thanks guys!  Last night I did a little shooting and really concentrated on getting my shoulders in line and guess what.  I gained a whole inch and a half.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline LP Kelley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
Bill, go to Ron Laclair's website. It's under the sponsers list and order the DVD 'Masters of the Bare Bow'.

Tamure is 5'5" and she draws 26". Ron Laclair is over 6' and if I remember right Ron said his draw length is about 27". I'm 5'll" with my style of shooting my draw length measured from the back of the bow is between 26 and half to 27 inches depending on the thickness of the handle. Howard Hill was 6'2" and weighed around 220 in his prime and he drew between 27 and 28 inches. One of the guys I shoot with is about 5'9". He stands pretty straight up, holds his bow perpendicular to the ground, holds his head back streches out and draws around 29" plus. He's a killer on a 3D course.

Our styles or forms are all a little bit different therefore are draws lengths will differ.

Order the DVD Bill, you will not be disappointed.
-LP

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
LP Kelly thank you for the advice.

One of the first things I purchase was this video.  It is very good and informative.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Will probably take you a while to find the form that's best for you, but it's not unusual to lose an inch or two draw length when switching from a compound to a trad bow.  There are a number of reasons for this.  Heavier bow weight does tend to scrunch one up a little more.  Also, more likely to shoot with a lower wrist and more bend in the bow arm.  Posture is often a little more leaned forward rather than straight, and, though you should/do pull with your back muscles, usually you don't pull as far (i.e., anchor as far back on your face) because you actually have the string in your fingers rather than in a release with a strap around your wrist.  All of these things tend to shorten your draw length.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
I am 5'8 pulled 28" compound and pull 25" with a trad bow. Both longbows and recurves I have the same draw.
What really matters is to have "good for you" form and be consistent. Years ago when I started with trad bows I read books, watched videos and asked anyone who I thought might be able to help me. After a few years I realized that do what works for you, and do this the same way everytime. Good archers are consistent.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 07:25:00 AM »
JDS3

I am quickly understanding this.  I have decieded to just shoot and then shoot some more.  These bows are rudimentary and however you get the arrow to the spot you want then so be it.  I know that even at 24" if that is indeed what it ends up being I will be at 45#.  With a heavy arrow, cut on contact head, and a well placed shot every Whitetale will fall.

So I am just going to shoot a lot.  I went out roving last night and did a pretty good job and had a lot of fun.

Offline Teknoclash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
Im 5' 5" and My draw is only 24". I shoot a Howard Hill 62" 50# @ 24" with 465gr spruce arrows. You'll be fine.  With my pounders my draw is 25.5.
Howard Hill longbow "Halfbreed"
TradTech Black Onyx

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©