Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Grips  (Read 1017 times)

Offline bootmaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Grips
« on: March 16, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
I am getting befuddled. My sons bow is a 55# recurve and I shoot a 48# recurve. When I shoot my Grizzley, I get stung about every 4th shot. With his custom take down,I never get stung.
Can the grip make that much differance, and what will it be like when I start shooting a longbow?
Kevin

Offline loco_cacahuate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grips
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
I'm far from being an expert but I think it's combination of grip and how you grip it. Also i think that a low wrist grip has less arm slap.

peanut
Never drop your gun to hug a Grizzly.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
Yea I think the grip can do that for sure.With my present bow I need to hold it in a certain spot which also happens to be the spot where I can grip the bow hard without it moveing around even though I don,t grip it very hard when I shoot, in order for it to not slap my arm and then sometimes I let it get around and still get slapped.I had an ACS that I tried out for a couple weeks and not once did it ever hit me.The grip on the shrew seems to give me better clearance too.

"what will it be like when I start shooting a longbow?"

LOL the bows I was talkin about above are LB,s

My first stick was a Martin Hatfield(recurve) which I altered the grip on a little to much the wrong way.It tends to move my forearm into the shot more now even if the grip is more to my hand than it was I shoulda made it to my hand but made it so that my thumb wasn,t so far around the grip.I still have and shoot the bow with no problem but I coulda done a better job in hindsite.It'd take more than I'm willing to remove to change it now and may weaken it too much so I just shoot it like I got used to and only use it for bow fishin at this time anyway

I don,t wear an armguard very often because I figure it shouldn,t hit anyway and if it does it may have and adverse effect on arrow flight.besides a good slap in the arm is a wake up call LOL

On my LB I grip it hard,choke that bad boy,find the spot that the bow just sits there no matter how hard ya squeeze.Thats the spot I like to shoot from Good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline bootmaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the replys. The bruises are about gone and time to give it another try befor I get rid of the darn thing.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
bootmaker,

check on your brace height too. raising it might solve the arm slap problem for you. it might also make the bow quieter and improve your acccuracy.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©