Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: WHO KNOWS OF SOME ARCHERY GAMES????  (Read 1258 times)

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
WHO KNOWS OF SOME ARCHERY GAMES????
« on: March 19, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
i only know a couple and if anyone knows of some fun games please post! i only know of archery tic tac toe and archery darts. hoping to have a long thread full of ideas here come on who's got somethin good??

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WHO KNOWS OF SOME ARCHERY GAMES????
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
Me and  friend of mine like to play H-O-R-S-E or B-O-W or whatever just like basketball only we set up clay pigeons and shoot them from different spots and positions

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
Archery poker, where you paste a bunch of cards to a piece of cardboard, in more or less random order, or so that face cards are surrounded by 3's and such. Shoot five arrows, best hand wins (you can't shoot the same card twice).
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
HORSE stump shooting.  Pick a stump or leaf or tuft of grass and the one that misses by the largest margin gets a letter.  Another version or twist could be where the arrows come to rest with the closest one wins.  When shooting at a root a short shot will bounce and hopefully stop closer to the root than your buddies.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
If you are looking for something fun to do at a shoot, here are few, although not games like HORSE or card games.

Archery golf

Wand shoot

Running deer shoot

Steel deer/turkey target (shoot through the hole marking the vitals or bust your arrow)

Muzzy shoot type setups where you have to take shots from difficult positions or at targets obscured by things between the archer and target

aerial target shoots

shooting through a tube to hit your target

two people shooting at two water ballons on a balance/scale. the first one to pop his/her balloon wins. or, you can build  a setup where the balloon falls on the person who doesn't hit his target first.

Also, try searching the site for "games" and see what you get. This has been addressed before in other threads. I would also give a call to the folks who set up the rendezvous's. They should be able to tell you what has worked for them.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Ineoin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
I have been to several SCA shoots and we have shot at thigs like CD's suspended from string, shoot shoulder to shoulder where the life of your enemy is three ballons on a stick and when yours are gone you are dead and leave the line, shooting prone, kneeling and standing thru a slot in a wall to hit he bad guy, or a speed shoot where there are several targets at differant distances and you can't hit any one more than once, shooting over a wall to hit the bad guy, shooting at rubber rats in a 2x4 or good guy bad guy where you shoot the bad guy with out hiting the good guy whether he is in front or back.

I play the poker shoot out back for fun and its a blast. I think I will try some of the games listed they sound like a good time.

I hope this helps, Good Shooting

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »
My friend and I like to play "make this shot". He takes a shot, then I try to do the same. If I make it, it is my turn to pick the shot etc. We like to do this in the woods so there are shots through openings in brush etc. We also try differnt stances like kneeling, standing.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline mjc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
My brother and I and our kids like to play archery golf. Get out in a big field and set up some holes actually stakes in the ground with baloons taped on them and keep track of how many shots it takes you to get to the stake and pop the baloon. We have holes from 100 yds to 500 yds its a hoot.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
Other modern competitions
The following are listed on the FITA website. These competitions are not as popular as the two listed above, but they are competed internationally.
3D Archery
3D archery is a subset of field archery focusing on shooting at life-size models of game, and is popular with hunters. It is most common to see unmarked distances in 3D archery, as the goal is to accurately recreate a hunting environment for competition.

On these animals there are 4 rings, only 3 of these are used in ASA shoots. The one that isn't used very often is the 14 ring. This can only be scored if you call it before you shoot, and even then it may not be allowed. Next is the 12 ring inside of the 10 ring, inside of the 8 ring. Anything on the target that is outside of the 8, 10, 12, or 14 rings is a 5. If you miss the target, you score a zero.

Though the goal is hunting practice, hunting tips (broadheads) are not used, as they would tear up the foam targets too much. Normal target or field tips, of the same weight as the intended broadhead, are used instead.
Clout Archery (G.N.A.S. rules in the United Kingdom)
Similar to target archery, except that the archer attempts to drop arrows at long range (180 yards / 165 m for the men and 140 yards / 128 m for women; there are shorter distances for juniors depending on age) into a group of concentric circular scoring zones on the ground surrounding a marker flag. The flag is 12 inches (30 cm) square and is fixed to a stick. The flag should be as near to the ground as is practicable. Archers shoot 'ends' of six arrows then, when given the signal to do so, archers proceed to the target area. A Clout round usually consists of 36 arrows. Clout tournaments are usually a 'Double Clout' round (36 arrows shot twice). They can be shot in one direction (one way) or both directions (two way). All bow types may compete (longbows, recurve, barebow and compound).

* Scoring. A 'rope' with a loop on the end is placed over the flag stick. This rope is divided into the scoring zones of the target: Gold (5 points), Red (4 points), Blue (3 points), Black (2 points) and White (1 point). The rope is 'walked' around the target area and arrows falling within a particular scoring zone are withdrawn and, on completion of the full circle, are laid out on the rope on the corresponding colours. The designated scorer would then call out the archers' names and the archers would (in turn) call out their scores as they pick up their arrows. The scores must be called in descending order as with target archery.

Flight Archery
Flight Archery can only take place where space permits usually in a protected area such as an aerodrome, subject to approval and access, since archers compete by shooting for maximum distances. Flight Archers shoot in various classes and weights and shoot six arrows at each "end" and then search for all of them marking the one which has been shot the furthest parallel to the datum line then marking this furthest one with an identifiable marker, the arrows can then be draw from their landing sites. Alternative bows may be shot on subsequent "ends" and also marked as above with their bow types and weights. Only four ends are usual in one shoot. At the end of the shoot, archers stand or sit by their furthest arrows while judges and their assistants measure the distances they were shot. There are many bow classes and bow weights that one can shoot in. The archer who shoots the furthest in their class is the winner.
Ski archery
An event very similar to the sport of biathlon except a recurve bow is used in place of a gun. The athletes ski around a cross-country track and there are two stances in which the athlete must shoot the targets: kneeling and standing. During competition the skis must not be removed at any time. The athlete may unfasten the ski when shooting in the kneeling position but must keep the foot in contact with the ski. The shooting distance is 18 meters and the targets 16 cm in diameter. In certain events, for every missed target, the athlete must ski one penalty loop. The loop is 150 meters long.
Traditional competitions
The following are not listed on the FITA website but are competitions that have a long tradition in their respective countries.
Beursault
A traditional northern French and Belgian archery contest. Archers teams shoot alternatively at two targets facing each other, 50 meters away. A perpendicular array of wooden walls secures a path parallel to the shooting range. After each round, the archers take their own arrow and shoot directly in the opposite direction (thus having opposite windage). One shoots always the same arrow, supposedly the best built, as it was difficult in medieval times to have constant arrow quality. The round black-and-white target mimics the size of a soldier: its diameter is shoulder-wide, the center is heart-sized.
Popinjay (or Papingo)
A form of archery originally derived from shooting birds on church steeples. Popinjay is popular in Belgium, but little known elsewhere. Archers stand within 12 feet (3.7 m) of the bottom of a 90 ft (27 m) mast and shoot almost vertically upwards with 'blunts' (arrows with rubber caps on the front instead of a pile), the object being to dislodge any one of a number of wooden 'birds'. These birds must be one Cock, four Hens, and a minimum of twenty-four Chicks. A Cock scores 5 points when hit and knocked off its perch; a Hen, 3; and a Chick, 1 point.
Roving Marks
The oldest form of competitive archery, as practiced by Henry VIII. The archers will shoot to a "mark" then shoot from that mark to another mark. A mark is a post or flag to be aimed at. As with clout a rope or ribbon is used to score the arrows. In the Finsbury Mark the scoring system is 20 for hitting the mark, 12 for within ~3ft, 7 points for within the next ~6ft and 3 points for within the next ~9ft.
Wand shoot

A Traditional English archery contest. Archers take turns shooting at a vertical strip of wood, the wand, usually about six feet high and three to six inches wide. Points are awarded for hitting the strip. As the target is a long vertical strip this competition allows for more errors in elevation, however since no points are awarded for near misses the archers windage accuracy becomes more important.
Other competitions
Archers often enjoy adding variety to their sport by shooting under unusual conditions or by imposing other special restrictions or rules on the event. These competitions are often less formalized and are more or less considered as games. Some forms include the broadhead round, bionic and running bucks, darts, archery golf, night shooting, and turkey tester.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
We play a game we call "Nock Breaker".  Each person gets one arrow.  The first person to shoot calls the shot and shoots.  The first shooter's nock is now the target for the other shooters. If the first shooter misses his shot, the other shooters get to shoot at his nock straight on from 15 yds. The person who's arrow is farthest from the nock shoots first next. All shots are taken from 25yds and under. You're out when your nock (or shaft) gets broken.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline McK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
I play a game with three traffic cones.  It helps to have backstops.  Place the cones at say 15,22 and 30 yds or whatever you prefer.
  Shooter A shoots the first cone then shooter B, same for all 3 cones.  Next round B shoots first.
   Scoring is highest arrow gets 1 point for each arrow in cone.  Example A hits cone,
 B hits higher-2 pts for B , if B hits lower 2pts forA if only one shooter hits cone 1 pt for him.
   The first shooter has to hit high enough so that he doesnt "give" his opponent an easy 2pts. On the other hand if he misses the other shooter only has to hit the cone for 1 pt.
  Game ends at pre-selected score.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Check out  www.archerygamecube.com  we do the same thing with cardboard Mike
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©