Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Can U Switch Bows w/o adjusting aim  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Lost Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
Can U Switch Bows w/o adjusting aim
« on: March 20, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
Gett'n ready for turkey hunting, I normally shoot a 60" Widow - but for turkey I like my 58" Mamba cuz it will be more maneuverable and black.  The Mamba shoots about 10"@10yds higher than the Widow.  Same arrow same draw length (clickers on both) same weight, same achor.  I've been tinkering with brace height and nocking point to see If I can get them to shoot the same.  Am I expecting the unattainable?  What do others do and or see when they switch bows?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can U Switch Bows w/o adjusting aim
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
If they were my bows, I wouldn't tinker with brace height and nocking point to see If I could get them to shoot the same.  I would tinker with brace height and nocking point only to try to get the best performance out of each bow.

I shoot five bows, fairly regularly, and another couple infrequently.  Usually, I leave one strung up and shoot it for a while, maybe a week, and then the yen will hit me to shoot one of the others. I find that when I switch bows, the arrows will not fly where I want them to go at first, but within maybe 20 arrows, they do (well, some of them do....).  The exception is my DAS Dalaa, which is a fairly new bow for me.  I'm generally high with that bow, and my mental computer hasn't made the necessary connections to bring the groups down where they should be.  It's not that the Dalaa is that much faster than my other bows; it isn't.  And I group as well or better than with my other bows, but the groups are 3-5" higher than I would like.  I think the reason is that the Dalaa tuned best for a nock height of just under 3/8", whereas my other bows have a nock height of 1/2" or more.

My plan and belief is that if I shoot enough arrows out of it, the groups will come down where they belong, eventually.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
I switch back & forth between two Chek Mates without a problem.  One is a Hunter I 58" 60lbs@29", the second a Hunter II 62" 56lbs@29".

The Hunter I gets there a smidge faster but the hold is the same with both.  The Hunter I does 187FPS while the Hunter II does 184FPS.

I use the same arrows (525 grain 30" 2413's) with both, and both bows are set up identically with Flipper II rests...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
Lostcreek, I would not mess with the brace height.. If ya are shooting both bows as many do, I suggest to not shoot the BW for a week or so before you turkey hunt and just use the Mamba.
I'm just surprised to here a Mamba is shooting ten inches higher than a BW at 10 yards. I thought the BW was a faster bow. If the BW is faster, then I think atleast one of them or possibly both are tuned properly. 10" just seems alot. I have 3 dufferent bow of style and weight and don't remember getting that much in 10 yards.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
I have several bows I like to shoot and I have them all shooting about the same.  If I find one that is out of whack (shooting too high or ?) then I get rid of it.     :confused:  

As a matter of fact, only the Morrison recurve gives me headaches   :banghead:  with it's high impact.  However, I got rid of it...so no more headache.
Lon Scott

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 02:45:00 AM »
I own three recurves and two longbows they are all within a couple of pounds of each other and I shoot the same arrow out of all of them. They are all three piece takedowns and I have no problem switching from one to the other.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Lost Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
Kingstaken, I'm with you, as in surprized the Mamba shoots higher.  I don't mind mess'n w/ BH or nocking point, I know where I started and can always change back.  I even tried an elevated rest cause I shoot 3under. Part of me wants to figure out why, I have a 55# Bighorn and it shoots the same as the Widow, and it looks like most bows shoot the same for all of you.  So why is it the Mamba is different?  The only difference between the bows are: the Mamba is designed with a BH 1.25" shorter (I can get within 0.5 actual).  The tiller on the Mamba does is higher.  At 0.5" it seems like it might be out of spec.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
Lostcreek I'm gonna gringe when I say this, but I'd like to know what you get from the chrono from each. Short BH will give ya alil extra, but that's usually the manufacturers way of trying to compete wih say a BW. fast Faster fastest attitudes.
Seems just to much difference not to be a tuning issue. Have you've paper tuned each bow with arrow?
The manufacturers specs are a guidence based on thier experiences and is strictly a guide depending on your :  style of release, how clean your release is, what arrow type and arrow tip weight.
I've yet to see two peple have the same set up, tho I feel after shooitng Gurus quikstick at the JLMBH, I should use his set up for a recurve. Better yet, Guru, I'll buy the bow from you.   :pray:  

Can any of you tech guys translate what 10" in 10 yards equivalates (is this right?) to the speed difference. I guess you would know what draw weight, arrow weight and darw length Lostcreek is shoooting from each bow.
Is there a tiller issue here?
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline RKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Just a thought ,but is the shelf higher above your hand on  the mamba? My dreamcatcher shoots higher for me than my HunterII even tho it is 15fps slower. Might be my tuning too but I notice that the arrow is farther above my grip than on the Chek mate. Could all be in my head also. Like others said ,if I shoot the dreamcatcher exclusively for a few days I adapt. Only then I'm low with the Hunter when I go back!! Are you still high at longer distances?

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by RKing:
Just a thought ,but is the shelf higher above your hand on  the mamba? My dreamcatcher shoots higher for me than my HunterII even tho it is 15fps slower. Might be my tuning too but I notice that the arrow is farther above my grip than on the Chek mate. Could all be in my head also. Like others said ,if I shoot the dreamcatcher exclusively for a few days I adapt. Only then I'm low with the Hunter when I go back!! Are you still high at longer distances?
Very astute observation.  I feel this is key to why my bows shoot pretty much the same.  I use a Flipper II rest with a piece of rug rest as a strike plate, set just high enough off the shelf to clear the lower vane, on both.  Arrow distance above my hand is essentially the same with both...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
If they were the same draw weight (you didn't tell us that) then you might be able to tune them to shoot the same arrow the same way. BUT, if both bows shoot well don't tinker with them. Just shoot with the Mamba to get used to where it hits and use it on your hunt.

The efficiency of each bow is different, even within the same design or model. So, it is not surprising that the two shoot differently or that the Mamba would be faster than the Widow. My old Jeffery QT takedown is faster than a friends Widow and his is several pounds heavier. It's just design and the individual materials used in the limbs.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline henpeckedmuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
OK, I'll throw in my 2 cents here as well. I have 3 bows that I shoot. a 60lb. Hill long bow. a 54# Morrison recurve, and a 45# Bear recurve. They all shoot to the same spot using the same hold out to 30-35 yds. The arrows are all spined for their perspective bows and the bows tuned and bear shafted with those arrows. I have found that the nocking pt. is always just about the same on all the bows. The ark of the arrow must be the same also for the bows hit the same spot as one another at 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30yd.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 06:16:00 AM »
I have two bows. They are 10# different in draw weight. I can pick up either one and shoot as well as the other.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »
If you shoot instintively, the 10" higher you hit with the Mamba probably has more to do with how high the shelf is over your hand compared to the Widow (which has a very low shelf).  Small changes in shelf hiegth make big changes in impact point.  I have the same problem with my Ancient spirits thunder hawk compared to an old bear kodiac hunter (a very high shelf but is much slower). Shoot just bow you are going to hunt with for as long as possible before the hunt to re calibrate.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©