Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Why does the swing draw work?  (Read 3079 times)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why does the swing draw work?
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
From what ive been told the Indians were snap shooters and if that's true that killed more game then I think most hunters ever will IMO they were the best hunters that have ever lived. Im not possitive they did snap shoot but if they did who's going to say its a bad way to shoot?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline estacado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2007, 06:55:00 AM »
What Terry said is correct as far as being in control of the shot. Timing has to be spot on and all parts of the shot sequence in sync. When I started shooting really fast, I lost the control necessary to let down on the shot. Once again the differences in the discussion are nuances of style and what works for you. Everyone is different and the more atheletic of you will do well with the swing draw, I did for a while and then it went south.

Estacado

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
Swing draw (snap shootin) dose not nessisarily mean fast....
   I swing draw at times, butt I have my own pace or speed of shot....
   I wouldn't call it it real fast....
Terry, in my neck of the woods Snap shootin is a Bad thing, no form, no anchor etc.
   Swing Draw is fluid beautiful motion, with controld bow arm anchor and release....
   As Terry mentioned learn it along with other styles, Swing draw is great for Hunting....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
Mike,

I got curious, and worried I might be speaking incorrectly, and wanted to ask someone else that would know.  So, I emailed a longtime Trad Ganger and longbow world champion the following about the term 'snap shooting' back in the day. He's about the same age as the guy I spoke of earlier.

Here's what I emailed him....

'The guy that taught me to shoot long ago when I was 8 is about your age.......he relayed to me that HH was a snap shooter.....and that 'back in the day' snap shooter meant a person that shot quick.  He also said that snap shooting did not have a negative term like today, and that negative term came about by those that suffered from target panic........I've also heard other 'old duffers' refer to snap shooters, and they weren't making a negative statement either.

Do you agree?

What's your take?

Thanks,

Terry'

Here's his reply.......

'I agree, snap shooting back then meant shoot quickly as soon as you touched anchor and a lot of people shot that way. I once heard Fred Bear refer to his shooting style as snap shooting. He said, "I'm a shap shooter, I release as soon as I hit my anchor" That's why Fred couldn't shoot a compound, the let off messed up his fluid style.
Fred Asbell is a snap shooter but it's very controled and he hits his anchor before he releases.

I think where the snap shooting style got a bad rap was when people with target panic who released before they hit anchor were put on the same list. That kind of shooting doesn't compare to those who snap shoot in a controlled manner.

If it wasn't for all of those years shooting target archery where the accepted form was to anchor and hold, I'd probably be a "snap shooter" too :~)

The guy that taught you knew what he was talking about.'
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline estacado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
The snap shooting I was refering to, was not the touch and go release sequence you are referring to. Originally it was just that, arrive at anchor - release. This involved swing up then arriving on target line with about 8" to go to anchor then straigt back to anchor and touch and go. Then it deteriorated to Snap shooting. I swore I was hitting my anchor, witnesses said no way 'Moose Breath'. Mine was akin to TP and not a controlled shot. It was something I could not slow down, and even now I' ll swing the bow up if I m on a 3D course or in the woods. My 'poor ole pea brain' almost recognizes this all of the time. I can almost control the shot in that circumstance - finally.

Estacado

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Terry....
I'll agree with you....
Terminology meanings do have a habit of changing over the years....
I like the Swing Draw and practice it....Sometimes I'll hold longer if neccessary....
    Take a look at the video section of HH shootin the Hawk out of the tree, He held a while on that shot....
    I have a friend who Snap shoots and dose'nt know ahat an Anchor is, no form what so ever, and admits it....Some times he'll hit something, most times not....
    For me I'll stick with Swing Draw verses Snap shootin when refering to Mr Hills Shootin....
    Now theres a term that has a strange meaning in Archery "Shootin" you release an Arrow, we don't shoot it....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »
Ok we need a new term for the form flaw of releasing before anchor.  Seems its pretty common now to use "snap shooting" to describe it but that would be incorrect.  We'll call-em  "flinger shooter" or "flingers" maybe.  Open for other suggestions?  

I'm sometimes a "snap" shooter in the HH definition (although it has lead to mild TP where I reach anchor still but dont steady my bow arm sufficiently and shoot ok just not super) but "snap shooting" should not have a negative slant associated with it. It's just not right!    :(    ;)

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
Bowhunting situations are just different , you have to adapt to your type cover and area you are hunting , sometimes what you get is all ya get ...the first time I shot hog I was bending down on a knee and way to my left another time almost on my back...personally if it works, use it...most times for me swing draw prob wont work because of too much movement with my bow quiver, might work on targets or something like that...but never say never...I guess...good thread!   :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 01:57:00 AM »
To me,the swing draw and snap shooting are both just part of an all round shooting style that also includes the push pull draw,the solid hold at anchour,Point of aim shooting and instinctive shooting.
It seems odd to me that so many people want to separate them and claim one over another,when put togeather they all work so well.
Guess nobody's ever going to write a book titled "the well balanced archer" LOL.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
Yeah John....and one can swing draw and snap shoot(shoot fast)...or one can swing draw and hold.

One can pre point and snap shoot(shoot fast)...or pre point and hold.

I've done all in the field many times.

I've shot with Ron LaClair, and he used a pre point and hold - dead release on stationary targets, but more of a swing draw and snap shot - pull through on moving targets.

Charlie Lamb uses a pre point and hold most of the time when I've stump shot with him, but there's a clip of him shooting a javie with a snap shot semi swing draw.

Curtis Kellar shoots many ways depending on the shot at hand.....and I could go on and on.

The main thing is being in control of the bow and the shot, and not letting either dictate or restrict you to only one shot if you want to capitalize on different opportunities that arise.

Being versatile is a big asset to the bowhunter.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©