Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: how do the best shots shoot?  (Read 8038 times)

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how do the best shots shoot?
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
Kingwouldbe, Whoa! Easy their cowboy. I wasnt trying to ruffle any feathers. "Please, don't use the excuse "I shoot instinctive and that's why I suck as a shooter." Anybody recall me saying that? Anybody who has ever seen me shoot will tell you that i am a fine shot. I win our local league shoot WEEKLY!! But i aint here to pat myself on the back. It was just my first experience with this style of shooting and it blew me away at how consistent they were. I was merely curious to see if others had observed the same thing. Sorry if i pissed on your parade.

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
2blade,if you can't judge your distance's out to as far as you will shoot at an animal,you don't need to be in the woods shooting at them,thats why ever since my old man took me into the woods at 10 years of age and had me shoot at leaves,stumps,rocks,pinecones,ect,ever chance we had,so i could "instinctivly"know the distance to an object of aim.regards,robert.  :campfire:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline Steve P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
I agree with the target/hunting- sighting/instinctive shooting styles. POA or whatever on the targets and instinctive in the woods. That is how my grandfather did it back in 50's-60's when he still competed. His Root target bow was set up with a sight, his hunting bow was bare. Seems as though it would be best of both worlds.

Out of curiosity, do any of you do this? If so, is the transition from target/sighting to instinctive/hunting difficult, or not too bad after some shooting?

Thanks for thoughts and information,

Steve

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by KyleAllen:
Kingwouldbe, Whoa! Easy their cowboy. I wasnt trying to ruffle any feathers. "Please, don't use the excuse "I shoot instinctive and that's why I suck as a shooter." Anybody recall me saying that? Anybody who has ever seen me shoot will tell you that i am a fine shot. I win our local league shoot WEEKLY!! But i aint here to pat myself on the back. It was just my first experience with this style of shooting and it blew me away at how consistent they were. I was merely curious to see if others had observed the same thing. Sorry if i pissed on your parade.
KyleAllen, no pissing on my parade, I'm not even having a parade today, LOL, maybe next week.

"I shoot instinctive and that's why I suck as a shooter".

No, I don't recall you saying that, It was me who said it, It's for those who the shoe fits.

Obviously, your the "LOCAL PRO" who wins every week at your LOCAL shoot.     :scared:     )

I am a bow-hunter, I only shoot 3d's to keep my shooting skills honed for hunting.

I learned real quick if you spend all this time stocking an animal and miss it, you suck as a shooter, so I set out to become a great bow and arrow shot, I have mastered the bow.

My statements are for all of us, not just you, when I go to a shoot and watch some of the shooters, they flat out suck, they should never be allowed to hunt with a bow n arrow.

They come any where near full draw and an explosion go's off, bow arm drops, drawing hand fly's and no one knows where the arrow went.

The bow has mastered them, they have not mastered the bow.

I don't care what STYLE you use, gap, point of aim, etc... the goal is to hit what you aiming at, in the field and at the range.

Some just yank back on the string and hope and pray, they have not disciplined themselves to take control of the bow.

My goal here is to help others take control and responsibility of there shooting, I wish every one was a great shot, it can be mastered, it just takes time and discipline to master it.

Some folks just love to shoot an arrow, but have never taken the time to learn how to shoot properly, they have no accuracy, it hurts me to watch them shoot, it's sad.

Hopefully, I have expressed my self correctly.

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
first let me apologize for some of my above statements,sometimes i say something befor i speak,LOL,THIS IS FOR YOU 2BLADE,,as kingwouldbe stated,great shooting,accuracy can be mastered,it takes time and practice,practice,practice,and the first rule for me is never settle for "fair"or "not bad" or mediocre accuracy.most people would settle for putting 12 arrows into a "pie plate" at 20 yards.if you can do this why not go for a tea cup.i know most people work and don't have the time to shoot 2 hours ever day,i am fortunate to be able to.also the expense of buying arrows to see if just a tad weaker or stiffer spine will help can be a strain on the pocketbook.you can go so far with changing point weight.but to truly get all you can out of yourself and your bow,you have to go the extra mile and never settle for,wow thats pretty good shooting,go for thats "awesome shooting" sometimes i will take a dozen arrows 31" long and cut them 1/2" at a time down to maybe 28.75,playing with different point weights each time trying to find the best combo i can.so why not experiment and try to be a better archer,but by all means have fun while doing it,and to the guys that the bow has mastered,if they will let you without becoming offended,give them a tip or two,of course when it comes to advice,my ole pappy use to say,"son,a wise man don't need it,and a fool won't heed it".just some ramblings from a wondering mind with "sometimers" diease.  :campfire:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
We shoot a wide variety of distances at our shoots for Trad.I dont think POA whould be helpfull, pins whould help, wheels whould let you use less pins,why not a relese aid and a rangefinder.Simple works for me! Thats why I shoot trad.and I KEEP SCORE!
Mike  :archer:
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
kingwouldbe, let me apologize for jumpin on ya little. I took your first reply as a personal attack, which i can see now that it wasnt. So i apologize. I was not trying to put myself on a pedestal by saying that i win our local shoot regularly. I was just trying to express the fact that i dont suck, lol. Me winning is exactly why i wanted to start going to bigger shoots. I wanted to find more competition. Well i found it!!! lol. I am constantly trying to improve my shooting, and i believe 3d is just the tool for the job. There was a time when i was tickled over straight 8's. Now i want straight 10's !!! I do feel that POA shooters have a slight advantage over instinctive, but it will only make victory taste all the sweeter....one day!
regards
Kyle

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »
kyle,i don't beleave any one took serious offense at any thing you said,i know i did't.i will pass on a little secret.any time you can shoot with some one who is a better archer than you,do it,observe their style,pick their brain if they will let you,and most traditional shooters are happy to share theories, technics,ect.take what you think will benefit you,and leave the rest behind.remember,you are the only person who can truly defeat you in the long run.  :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
John57 and Steve P, make good points    :archer:      :clapper:   ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Online TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
I was reading Fred Bear's Field Notes.  He mentioned that the missed a few times.  I guess he sucked as a shooter and hadn't mastered the bow.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2007, 01:06:00 AM »
I'd almost as soon put chew marks on the choke tube of my 12 gauge as get into an instinctive versus gap versus point of aim argument. But if you're goal is to be a competitive target shooter, then learn the rules of your venue, push them to the limit and develop a shooting style that maximizes your score. That's the way the game's played.

If someone outscores you, try to figure out why they performed better and use that information as a a tool to make you a better shooter, not as a laundry list of excuses why you lost. Instead of saying, "yeah he beat me, but he did this, that and the other thing", say, "this is how he beat me, and maybe I should give it a try myself." Unless the people above you on the results list broke the rules, the words "yeah but" should never come into play when discussing how they won or why you lost.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2007, 01:52:00 AM »
I guess my previous post did sound sorta anti-score, anti-competition.  That's not what I meant.  I'd just rather shoot with the guy who blows up on release and laughs about it while looking for his arrow than the guy whose score is so important he acts like a three year old that dropped her top scoop on any shot outside the 10.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
Molson,

No doubt. But there's also a happy middle ground. Being a serious competitor is no excuse for an unsportsmenlike attitude.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
I have to agree with Jason. Be it archery, Highpower rifle, softball, raceing or just about any competitive sport, If you want to win, watch to guy thats winning and do it like he does until you find a better way. My old little league coach use to say " were out here to have fun, but I aint never had fun getting my butt kicked" DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
It sounds as if you are already a great shot.  Straight 8s is something to be proud of.  You're already one of the few.  I'd say you have mastered the bow.  

Now you just have to decide how important winning one of those bigger shoots is to you.  If you want to master their style, the info is easy to find.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by roknjs:
I was reading Fred Bear's Field Notes.  He mentioned that the missed a few times.  I guess he sucked as a shooter and hadn't mastered the bow.
Point well taken, yes, we all miss, mastering the bow does not mean you never miss, come on ROKNJS you know that.

I apologize, suck, was too strong of a word ( but when I miss, it's the first word that comes to my mind. LOL )

I think it means you have great skill or you can be consistent, that's all.

Jason R. Wesbrock, Man, well put brother.

Offline bow'narrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
I live in this little spot up in the Rocky Mountains.  We rarely see a 3D target.  Do an awful lot of stump shooting, summer and winter.No one worries about the other guys style.  We just make lots of sawdust, bust a lot of arrows.....and manage to arrow enough game for winter meat. It's a way of life.  Bow'narrow
no clue how to do this

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
Im not a target competitor, im just a bow hunter who likes to practice on 3d shoots, lol. So i guess i shouldnt even care about winning, but da gum if im gonna be there i might as well TRY to win. Jason R. Wesbrock, you did make some very good points my friend. If i wasnt so darn hard headed i might actually give it a go. Everybody knows who ricky welch is right? Well if you ever get a chance to talk to him or shoot with him, ask him about kirk fox. See if ricky dont tell ya bout a few "instinctive" tail kickins, lol. Kirk is the best shot i have seen....ever. Coincidentily, he is also the man who taught me to shoot. I figure if he can beat POA guys, then i can to. But hey, im just hard headed like that  :D  . I hope no one got the wrong impression from my question...which turned into a debate.
Best regards
Kyle

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
Good post Kyle.  I've considered switching styles to be more competitive, but I'm like you..."a bow hunter who likes to practice on 3D."  

Kingwouldbe, I'm very competitive by nature, but have seen all to often that in winning some people have lost in the end.  It's either their dignity, frienship, or fun.  I'm beyond that now...good lord! I'm starting to sound old.

I don't think anyone here throws their bow when they miss, so I'd shoot with you fellas anytime.
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline Incognito

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2007, 07:46:00 PM »
Iv'e never chunked a bow, but I have chunked a golf club or two.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©